Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2019, 11:39 PM   #41
outlaw

Default Re: 8ba rod bearing problem

Back in the mid 70's I worked for a large at the time automotive parts store/warehouse here. They sold remanufactured motors by a company named Lomac. It was very common to have new remanufactured motors by them that had 1 main journal or rod journal turned under sized or single hole bored over size & some time multiples in a single motor. We are talking on the order of 1 hole .30 or .40 over size & the rest std or maybe .10 over. The same with the journals. You could find any combinations. This was in all types & brands of motors. We sold a lot of them back then. Just sayn.
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:11 AM   #42
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Back in the mid 70's I worked for a large at the time automotive parts store/warehouse here. They sold remanufactured motors by a company named Lomac. It was very common to have new remanufactured motors by them that had 1 main journal or rod journal turned under sized or single hole bored over size & some time multiples in a single motor. We are talking on the order of 1 hole .30 or .40 over size & the rest std or maybe .10 over. The same with the journals. You could find any combinations. This was in all types & brands of motors. We sold a lot of them back then. Just sayn.

For the young guys... I worked in a small, independent shop in the 50's. At least where I was, it was VERY common to grind a crank in the car (or pickup). We had one customer that ran a small fleet of Chevy trucks for moving bee hives around. And, his drivers really pounded those old Chevy's. So, they had rod failures quite often. The guy that did our 'in-truck' rod journal grinding had a steady customer at our shop. And, some of the under-sizes would be un-heard of today. Like one I remember as .090 ! The guy that did the grinding also provided the bearings, or in the case of Chevy's, the babbited rod. So I never knew how those odd-size bearings came about.
I think the current-day generation that tries to make precision in old engines would likely never understand 'how-it-was'. After all, they're just old Fords, Chevy's, Plymouths, etc, etc. JMHO
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #43
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
WOW.

Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #44
jimTN

I have a old 977 Cat with the 318 engine that had a couple of throws turned by one of those machines under the engine years ago and still runs well.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #45
JWL
Member Emeritus

It would be a long explanation to describe how it was done. First the grinding is done with the end face of the rock. The electric tool has a long snout to provide clearance for crankshaft counterweights. There are 2 types of drive systems for rotating the crankshaft during the regrind. One is a set of motorized rollers for a rear(drive) wheel and the other is a starter replacement driving system for automatic transmission cars. The operator must find areas of the journal which are "round" usually involving some hand filing and sanding to accomplish. Even a badly galled or spalled journal will have small areas outside of the rod contact area to use. There is a hinged/jointed device, like a claw, attached to the grinder motor which over reaches the journal and provides the support and a guide for keeping it round. There are more details but this might give you some idea.

Obviously small cuts are the norm but it actually worked reasonably well.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #46
3739ford

Just picked up the crankshaft, rods and bearings. The rods are all the same now .030 and he test fitted rods/bearings to crankshaft and all turned smooth. He said one of the rod caps had gotten smashed a little and he run through a rod bore hone.
3739ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #47
cadillac512

There 'ya go...that's a good deal now. That rod would have given you trouble too,and possibly a LOT of trouble. Well done for questioning things the way you did!

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #48
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
It would be a long explanation to describe how it was done. First the grinding is done with the end face of the rock. The electric tool has a long snout to provide clearance for crankshaft counterweights. There are 2 types of drive systems for rotating the crankshaft during the regrind. One is a set of motorized rollers for a rear(drive) wheel and the other is a starter replacement driving system for automatic transmission cars. The operator must find areas of the journal which are "round" usually involving some hand filing and sanding to accomplish. Even a badly galled or spalled journal will have small areas outside of the rod contact area to use. There is a hinged/jointed device, like a claw, attached to the grinder motor which over reaches the journal and provides the support and a guide for keeping it round. There are more details but this might give you some idea.

Obviously small cuts are the norm but it actually worked reasonably well.
Thanks JWL! One really has to appreciate the innovations and ingenuity that our forefathers applied in figuring out how to solve problems such as this. We had some really good entrepreneurs now didn't we! I can't imagine using such a machine, but I'd sure like to see one in action.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote