Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
custom_lettering

Default fuel pressure question

Hi Everyone,
I have a question on fuel pressure with my stock 49 Ford club coupe. It has a 8ba motor and a EAB 94 carb. It leaks from the throttle shaft and the shaft is tight. I have a rebuilt kit I'm going to use after I check the float level. From what I understand it's usually the float or fuel pressure that causes that if the throttle shaft is tight.
Here is my question. I checked the pressure and it's at 4. The green bible says 3.5 to 4.5 but when I search what other people say I keep seeing 2.5 and 3.
Before I take the carb apart should I get a fuel pressure regulator and set it to 2.5 to see if that is the problem or is 4 ok and it's more then likely the float.
Thanks in advance!! Bill
custom_lettering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
Alaska Jim

Default Re: fuel pressure question

In my opinion, anymore than 3 psi will probably cause problems. I like to run the "94" carbs at 2.5 psi. get a good quality low pressure regulator. Holly makes a nice chrome one. I do not have a part # here off hand. you may have to fabricate a bracket, and change your fuel lines around a bit. stay away from those cheap round chrome inline ones, they are prone to leaks, according to many people here on the forum
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #3
custom_lettering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
In my opinion, anymore than 3 psi will probably cause problems. I like to run the "94" carbs at 2.5 psi. get a good quality low pressure regulator. Holly makes a nice chrome one. I do not have a part # here off hand. you may have to fabricate a bracket, and change your fuel lines around a bit. stay away from those cheap round chrome inline ones, they are prone to leaks, according to many people here on the forum
Thank you sir. The Holley 12-804 seems to be the good one. The car runs great so before I start fooling with the carb I'll get the regulator and adjust it down and see if that stops the leak. Thanks Again!!!
Old 02-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
grumppyoldman

Do not buy the Mr. Gasket pressure regulator it's cheap and works like it. I had to set the regulator at a minimum setting to get 2 1/2 # on the gauge. runs great. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Be sure you get the correct one (pressure range) there are different pressure ones that look the same.

Holley Fuel Pressure Regulators 12-804 is listed as 1 to 4 psi.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:43 AM   #6
mfirth

Bill, also be aware that today's fuel will percolate after shut down of a warm engine. I have a newer Carpenter carb. , with regulator in line set at 2.5-3 lbs. When engine heat heats the float bowl it boils the fuel and fuel comes out around the shaft. Just be aware.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #7
custom_lettering

Thanks again guys!! Also thank you to a gentleman named Ken for calling me to let me know the new fuel pumps have a strong spring and if you replace it with an old one it will drop the pressure down. Great info.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:53 PM   #8
Alaska Jim

I forgot to mention the ethanol fuel problem causing perculaton. we do not have ethanol fuel here in Alaska that I am aware of.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:28 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I looked it up and the internet says no ethanol in Alaskan fuel (and you know the internet has to be correct! ). I can see with the amount of outdoor equipment used there and a lot of vehicles setting for long periods of time how ethanol would not be the best idea.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote