Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
3quarter32

Default 60hp water pump woes

After running my new rebuilt (new as in never run since rebuilt at least 10 years ago) 60hp, one of the water pumps has a leak. It looks to be leaking out of the front center. There appears to be a end of a cotter pin maybe in the center.
I know nothing about these pumps. If I needs a kit, where is a good place to get one? These pumps were rebuilt when engine was, but I imagine they have dried out from no use.
I suppose they screw out of the block, or front cover. Normal RH threads?
Thanks, Lee
3quarter32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Mac VP

Default Re: 60hp water pump woes

We stock the rebuild kits. They sell for $42.50 per kit (one kit per pump). Here is the link for the kit:
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
KiWinUS

if you mean in the center of the pulley , thats a spring & it should hav a lil washer lookin thing on it ,& be sticking out the end of the shaft . Tha spring is what holds the plastic impeller on the other end & seals it from leaking water . it sounds like a simple fix , just pull spring forward & clip the lil washer under it to hold tesion on inpeller !Look at the other side .
Cheers
Tony
Macs pic will help you understand .
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
3quarter32

Thanks for the information. I think just to be safe, I will give Mac VP a call tomorrow and get a kit on the way. The keeper is in place under the spring. I see from the picture on Mac's site how all that works now.
Thanks, Lee
Old 03-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
MARVIN, CT

Lee, a few pointers, from previous experience. After draining the system and removing the fan belt, I use a small fire hose spanner wrench to loosen the locking ring. Have a small plastic bag and some rags ready to catch the oil that will drip out of the pump body (can be quite messy) and pull the pump out. Do as Tony says to remove the spring and impeller. If you decide to go further, the pully has to be removed from the shaft before the shaft can be pressed out.There should be retaining clip in front of the bearing that has to be removed first, otherwise the housing will be damaged. Hope this helps. Marvin
MARVIN, CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
3quarter32

Thanks Marvin. I always can use pointers. They save time and usually money. I decided to replace both pumps with new kits. Thanks to Mac, they should be on the way. Still looking for a spanner, hopefully I will find something before the kits arrive.
Lee
Old 03-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
KiWinUS

carefull removing the pulleys , they break easily without the correct fixture .
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
MARVIN, CT

Tony, wondering what fixture you use when removing a pully. I've been lucky with my pulleys, but any advice is helpful. Thanks, Marvin
MARVIN, CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
3quarter32

Should anything be used on the threads when re-installing pump? I was thinging some anti-sease maybe. Where is spell check when you need it? How about on the impeller end? Any sealer on it where the shaft goes in?
Thanks, Lee
Old 03-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
3quarter32

I found a sink spanner at the hardware store that seems to fit pretty good. I was checking for fit, and the pump was only finger tight. How tight should they be when replaced?
Lee
Old 03-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
3quarter32

I ended up making a spanner for the pumps. Really didn't need it to remove them, as they were only finger tight. These appear to be the tapered ones. Does oil pass thru the pump anywhere. This may be one of my little oil leaks.
Now, how does the pulley come off? And how about the tapered part with seals on it? Don't want to screw up anything.
Thanks, Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0563.JPG (80.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0564.JPG (84.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
3quarter32

Put in new wp kits to no avail. Still leaks thru the hollow shaft. Going to try something different tomorrow. Had the pumps out twice this afternoon, but couldn't find any thing that looked wrong. Don't appear to be leaking around the bushing. If the nut was to tight, would that cause an impeller problem. The nut isn't very tight now at all. Just what I thought was just a bit more than could be tightened by and maybe a quarter turn with the spanner. Any thoughts?
Lee
Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
Gary in MN

Hello: Did you install the complete kit ? I have found the surface the impeller rubs against must be flat. I disassemble the pumps place the housing in the lathe and true up that surface. Also I make sure the impeller is also flat. This is where I would focus your efforts. I have rebuilt a few of these, if you are not successful you could send them to me and I would take a look at them.

PS: One more thing the tang that engages the impeller must be seated into the impeller. You may have to grind off a little of the tang in order to get the impeller to seat properly.

With the impeller, spring and retainer installed hold the pump up to the light and there should be no light between the housing and impeller.

Gary in MN
Gary in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #14
3quarter32

Thanks for the advise Gary. I will look at that in the morning. I have a lathe, so I can do whats necessary. I needed to know what to look for as things were not doing to well so far. I will keep your offer in mind.
Thanks again, Lee
Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
3quarter32

Gary, or anyone else that may know. If I overtightened the spanner nut, would the impeller contact the inside of the water jacket. When I took the pump apart, the notches on the impeller were basically gone, just a bit of melted plastic. Fortunatly the ones I took off were new.
Thanks, Lee
Old 04-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #16
Gary in MN

Hi Lee: I see that you have the tapered pumps.

If both gaskets are not replaced the whole assembly will sit deeper in the housing and may come in contact with the engine.
I think the newer impellers are some form of plastic and cannot that the heat like the original ones. Also depending on the engine there may be a lot of junk floating around in the cooling system and that may damage the impellers.
When you install the pump do not install the gaskets, lightly tighten the lock nut, then turn by hand you should be able to feel if the impeller is hitting the block. How about a picture or two of the impellers. Gary in MN.
Gary in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
3quarter32

Gary, I must have had the spanners to tight, making contact. The block is fresh and clean inside. I have one pump fixed, with no leaks. The other one evidently needs a bit more off the end of the shaft to seat the impeller base. I just have a slight leak from it now. It dripped while running, and when shut off. Radiator cap was loosened.
After about an hour I went back to look and the drip had stopped. Going to start it back up in a bit, and see what happens. If it leaks, I will take off a bit more. Rather do a little at a time, than to much.
Thanks to your help, I understand how the sealing process works not.
Lee