Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2019, 12:02 AM   #1
Bob-93021

Default 1947 Sedan rear brake drums

I am finally rebuilding the rear brakes on my 47 sedan. I riveted on NOS brakelining that I had and bought and installed new wheel cylinders. All went together just fine. I wanted to have the lining ark's to match the drum but could not find anyone local so gave up on that. I would still do that if I found a local source.
Since lining was down to the rivets, leaving their traces in the drum. Otherwise they look pretty good. I would like to have the drums surfaced before buttoning it up. My brake drums are the swagged together drum with the hub outside. Can any local brake shop turn my drums or do I need someone that know these old Fords with special adapters for the lathe?
Finally, can any of you suggest a machine shop in the Ventura, Santa Barbara or LosAngeles county California who knows how to work on these old Ford drums. Thank you - Bob
Bob-93021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:17 AM   #2
cas3

Default Re: 1947 Sedan rear brake drums

i think you will need some one who has done it before. i do them on a lathe, using a cut off axle shaft with a center drilled on the cut end, and grab the nut in the 3 jaw chuck to turn it. not a big deal to do if you have an old shaft and a friendly machinist.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:07 AM   #3
rich b

A good shop will have the reduced diameter arbor for their brake lathe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arbors.jpg (35.9 KB, 48 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
rich b

If you do have them turned; it is really not necessary to get every mark out of the drum when turning. Conserve what ever life is left in your drums by not over-cutting them. Make sure the machinist understands this or find another guy.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:13 PM   #5
Bob-93021

CAS, I agree withyou in that I want someone who has experience with these drums –they are different. I am not familiar with brake lathes and how theywould center the drum. I believe I can come up a sacrificial axleshaft if needed. RICH, thanks for pix that shows a centering arbor. Ireally think my drums are usable without machining. I always avoidmachining if possible and have re-used worse looking drums. When Iwent to install my drum it would not go over the new lining. I think that if lining was arc'd all would be fine. I called a bunch ofshops to see if anyone can arc the shoes with no luck. Even went tolocal NAPA store and they had no idea what I was talking about andseemed puzzled about me riveting on new shoes.

Guys, than you foryou inputs - Bob
Old 06-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
supereal

Arcing shoes has become a casualty of the dicc brakes now. Look for a shop that specializes in truck brakes. Trying to do-it-yourself can often result in destruction of the linings, The drums should be turned enough to produce a smooth surface before you arc the shoes to fit.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
Bob-93021

Superreal, talked with a mechanic friend about turning drum. his machine does not have the thin arbor like Rich posted above. After looking over my uncut drum we think best route is to find someone to arc the shoes rather than turn drum and risk damaging drum. I will not have drum turned unless I am very confident the person has done them in the past.
I will still look for a place to arc the shoes. I believe there is a company called Valley Friction about 30 miles from me that does the big rig stuff. As a back up I am going to paint store today to get some of the adhesive backed sandpaper on a 2" wide roll and stick it to drum. Will try manually rotation shoe to make it just a little smaller in hopes drum fits over shoes. This might take awhile. Hopefully I have attached a pix of drum condition. It really is not bad after just a little clean up. edit: will wear respirator!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5695.jpg (39.3 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Bob-93021; 07-01-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

I just talked to these guys and they can turn the drums, M&D Auto Parts, 8940 National, Culver City, (310) 559-1134

Maybe you can make an appointment and have lunch while they are turning them.

Post if you find a place to arc the shoes.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:52 PM   #9
Bob-93021

Charlie, Thank you! I went to their web site and see that they work on the older cars also. I will assume that you asked about arcing shoes and they do not. Not a fun drive to get there but stopping at Tito's taco on the way home would be a bonus for the trip.

Seems that shoe arcing went underground after the asbestos issue and big brand auto parts became the norm. I guess we all remember the days of the local independent shop who could turn the drums and arc the shoes for you.

I do have a lead on a shop in Simi Valley that can arc shoes. I will not be able to follow up on this until after the 4th. Will post when I know. Thanks - Bob
Old 07-02-2019, 06:47 AM   #10
Sod Buster

O'Reilly's auto parts did mine, $12.00 a drum, it should not be that hard to get a drum turned.
Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:16 AM   #11
tubman

"SodBuster" - Did they do the rears? I think the fronts are no problem; it's the rears.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #12
Seth Swoboda

I use a local shop that has the ability to turn brake drums on heavy duty trucks. It's not a problem for them.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #13
Bob-93021

Thought I would give a quick follow up on the rear brakes. Found a local repair shop that was familiar with the brake drum and hub assy. Drum cleaned up at .020. Went to install drum over the new shoes and it would not fit. I went to a number of shops to see if they could/would arc the shoes - no luck there. So I resorted to lining the drum with 80 grit adhesive back sand paper and just ground the lining to fit. Actually went pretty quick. I know it not a perfect fit but drum is on and I am driving it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5696.jpg (44.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #14
hook00pad

Adhesive backed paper is a good idea!

Al Hook
hook00pad is offline   Reply With Quote