Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2021, 04:22 PM   #1
fast fredy

Default front door check strap

Hi guys . anybody have any thoughts on how to quiet down front door check straps on 55 wagon , my rt side is considerably noisier than than drivers ? I even cut an access hole to get to it . Cleaned and greased after penetrating oil , but still sounds quite grindy, if thats a word . I thought that I would find the rollers seized but they were not , and they are moving. I have it well greased now but still seams noisy to me Thanks Fred
fast fredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:43 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: front door check strap

There's no need to cut holes in the door structure to access the check arms. They can be removed from inside the door by poking your arm in through the large rectangular opening near the bottom on opposite end.
Sometimes there's lots of dirt and sand mixed in the grease where the rollers are. A spray solvent will loosen the grime and you can wipe away with a cloth soaked in solvent. Clean the check arm good and spread lubriplate on the check arm where it interacts with rollers. Try to get in and squirt oil on roller shafts, then quickly coat them with lubriplate. The lubriplate will help to hold the oil in at the roller shafts. Re-install check-arm from inside the door.
Test: after installation, open door and listen for binding or friction. If friction is detected, look at the very front of the door frame to see if the check arm is rubbing against the top (or bottom) of the slot it sits in. If it is against the door structure at top or bottom, that's a problem. the structure is made to accommodate as much room that is needed to accomodate door upward and downward adjustment without causing any friction at the check-arm.
Are you sure the check-arm is installed in the proper orientation? See shop manual for illustration.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:20 PM   #3
fast fredy

Default Re: front door check strap

thanks dave , its in its original position
fast fredy is offline   Reply With Quote