Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
Joe K

Default Parts Identification & Description

For years I've been working on my Model A (see avatar.) Most of this work I've done using the usual demolition and reconstruction guides including Rick Freeman's Shop Manual, Victor Page's "The Model A Ford" period book, the various "How to Restore Your Model A" series and the sometimes similar "Technically Speaking" books. And there is of course the Ford Service Manual.

For most of my parts look-up I turn to the Ford "Parts Price List" and for more detailed body questions the Ford "Body Parts List."

Now I'm trying to get somehow "closer" to part descriptions. What drives this is a bucket of nuts and bolts which came with (of all things) a Gordon Smith Conversion head. Some of these bolts I recognize - the dome-headed bolts for water connection and valve chamber are easy. But many I don't offhand - including a bolt with hole for tie-wire which is similar to the flywheel to crank center bolts - but are longer by at least a quarter inch.

There are other bolts in the bucket too. Some of these might be quite ordinary use such as water pump or generator. But it is hard to tell what or where without a Ford Part Number (which can be had from the Price List) alongside a physical description.

In my view original bolts are kind of special - they differ considerably from modern bolts. And given a choice I might choose to stick with originals?

Is this sort of dimensional/specific information found in the "Standard Hardware Book" which as yet I don't own. See https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...-AND-TRIM-BOOK for the book

Joe K
Old 09-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Parts Identification & Description

Joe, yes I have that book. It gives the part number, thread and size of each fastener along with the number used, location and finish.

It is jointly published by MARC and MAFCA.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
Joe K

Sounds like time for an order.

Thanks for the input!

Joe K
Old 09-11-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
Joe K

Now bought. The best buy is from MARC or Restorers. The Model A parts houses have it, but charge more to ship it than the value of the book. At MARC price is lowest - and shipping more in this stratosphere.

https://model-a-ford.org/products-pa...ook-1928-1931/

Thanks for your help, and my experience can help another.

Joe K
Old 09-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #5
Joe K

The book is now received. And just what I need to figure out what is in the buckets from a disassembly in 2010.

I'll note for those who do not have the book, the listing is done first by "type" (i.e. "Acorn Hex Head Bolts, Fillister Head Cap Screw, etc.) and listed under that by sized part number in increasing size.

THEN - each sub-assembly of the Model A is broken down, and the bolts listed under that, the listing by alpha/numeric part number (i.e. not by size)

Still, far better than trying to coordinate the Parts Price List against applications/pix shown by vendors.

And I did see a similar second type listing in Les Andrew's Shop Manual - but this not for every sub-assembly. Les is more, but not everything.

Mick Isbell deserves every credit.

Joe K