Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2020, 09:47 PM   #1
jdpalmer

Default 28-29 radiator splash shield

Can anyone send pictures of correct screw holes for 29 radiator splash shield as mine was mounted with sheet metal screws and cooled up piece welded on shield for screws. need to know the holes in the horn spring and if there dimples in fender horn for the screws
Old 09-26-2020, 04:17 AM   #2
Juggler

Default Re: 28-29 radiator splash shield

Reaching for the last NOS A16527 d2 in captivity.....

(And yes dimples in front fenders)

IMG_1577

IMG_1580
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:07 AM   #3
john charlton

The hood shelves holes were dimpled downwards .The shield is held on by four brackets riveted by two rivets 1" apart . The brackets have a "D" nut on the inside . The "D" nut centre is 1/2" in from the flat shield side . The "D" nut centre is 2" back from the furthest "nose" of the apron . You have to move the tape up and down to gauge this .The "D" nut centres are 5 1/2" apart from front bracket to rear bracket . The brackets are "L" shaped as you see in the pics .For you to make them I would use 1 1/2" x 1" and using the measurements fit the "D" nut or any suitable nut to take the repro oval headed machine screws The brackets are approx 3/16" thick . The brackets sit under the frame and the "D" nut holes should line up with the holes already drilled in the frame . If you need more pics My son can send them .Have a trial fit to see if you line up with the frame holes .Using a straight edge across the back of the shield the distance to the front "D" nut centre is 7 1/2"

John in wet Suffolk County England .

Last edited by john charlton; 09-26-2020 at 07:50 AM.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpalmer View Post
Can anyone send pictures of correct screw holes for 29 radiator splash shield as mine was mounted with sheet metal screws and cooled up piece welded on shield for screws. need to know the holes in the horn spring and if there dimples in fender horn for the screws

There are some pictures of the front splash shield (same for A and AA chassis) at https://aafords.com/aa-chassis/aa-16000-fenders/#fss. The brackets John describes is shown.

There are no dimples in the 1929 fenders. I don't know the meaning of "horn spring" or "fender horn". The frame has punched hole where the hood-shelf-to-sheld-screws run.

https://aafords.com Ford Model AA Truck Club @ aafords.com
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote