Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #1
mike657894

Default rubber tipped tillotson needle and seat? gosen valve leaked from the start.

I bought a gosen ball valve and it wouldn't hold a vacuum via my mouth bench testing. I put it in anyway thinking it may hold enough to slow my leak. I get a good dribbling of fuel out of the mouth of the carb. I tried to lap in my original steel needle and brass seat. Too small to get any where with that. I have checked float level. I need to shut my fuel off whenever I shut off my engine. I looked on ebay and found many different Tillotson needles and seats many that look very similar. Wondering if anyone new the part # of a rubber tipped one that would fit in. Otherwise im going to get a long viton tipped needle and file it to fit in the old seat.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #2
mike657894

Default Re: rubber tipped tillotson needle and seat? gosen valve leaked from the start.

found it at macs. wonder why the other suppliers don't carry it? https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...on-tipped.html
Old 06-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #3
redmodelt

Default Re: rubber tipped tillotson needle and seat? gosen valve leaked from the start.

Take the brass needle and put in a drill. Polish it with some 200 then 600. When installing give it a light tap to seat.

The ball type valve, pop the cover off and check for small bits of brass from the machining process. Somewhat common for this to be the case.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #4
mike657894

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Take the brass needle and put in a drill. Polish it with some 200 then 600. When installing give it a light tap to seat.

The ball type valve, pop the cover off and check for small bits of brass from the machining process. Somewhat common for this to be the case.

I thought I was probably the exception not the norm on the leaking ball valve. At a glance it didn't look like it came apart. I will take another look. I think I made the foolish decision to toss the old needle upon replacement.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:05 AM   #5
1931 flamingo

NEVER throw anything away .
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
Patrick L.

One more thing to check is the float arm. The needle tends to wear a dimple in them which seems to be overlooked most times. That dimple can usually be sanded out. That dimple tends to 'cock' the needle allowing it to dribble.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #7
J Franklin

I used a vinton tipped needle from an old mustang 1 barrel and it worked fine. I wold give the new needle a try.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote