Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
Sparky

Default Questions about the brake rivet tool

I'm getting ready to put new linings on my brakes. I got one of the vise-mounted rivet tools, but I have a couple of questions.

1. The tool I have came with two different rivet setters; one has a slightly concave end and the other has a small bump in the center. Which one is for the brake rivets?

2. I cannot get a straight shot at the rivets because the flange of the brake shoe is hitting part of the riveter. It looks like the casting is a bit too large and should have been ground flat or notched out to clear. Should I go ahead and do this?
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Questions about the brake rivet tool

The one with the small bump in the center is what goes on the hollow end of the rivet. The bump pushes the area open and then it gets directed around and back down.

If you know of someone with a kick riveter go use that. Ask you local club or check at older mechanics shops. Once it is set up right you cruise through the job with nice tight linings.

Worth the time for the improvement in how the rivets are set.

But if you can not locate one, the hammer type works fine. You have to take more time and care that they are set properly. Get extra rivets and practice.

Bought a kick riveter for $20 and found it useful for other rivets like on the hood too. Made riveting the lining so much easier too.

Like I said either way does the job.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
700rpm

You have to work with these new riveters to get things lined up, if you're using the kind that commonly come from Model A suppliers. It gets tricky, but it can be done. Be care not to hit the housing of the riveter when hammering.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
mass A man

I've been using the bench vise type riveter for years, an old one that the shoes fit into OK. The one you have , go ahead and grind the small area to allow the clearance you need. The top part only holds the rivet tool straight and doesn't take much of any force. Just go slow, start in the middle and work outwards, clamping the lining tightly to the shoe. If you are using "C" clamps, place something between the clamp and the lining so as not to leave clamp marks in the linings. The right size brass rivets are important too. I've seen a lot of the rivets that come with the linings are too small.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I use the vice mounted riveter and it does a good job. I drop of oil on the tool tip helps to make a nice smooth roll on the rivet.

I have a kick riveter as Kevin mentioned, but mine isn't complete enough to use. I used one a lot at the dealership, and as Kevin said it sure makes the job go quick and easy.

After you get the linings all riveted be sure to grind a slight bevel on the top side ends of the linings.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Sparky

Thanks for all the advice. I ground about 1/16" off the front of the tool and the rivets lined up better. Just successfully riveted my first lining. Seven to go!
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote