Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2019, 10:56 PM   #21
tubman

Default Re: Oldest daily driver... with highway speeds

I bought an OBCD code reader from Amazon for $39. Now those bandits can't rip me off anymore.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #22
4t8v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
You can go to auto parts stores like Auto Zone or O'Reilly's and have that "Check Engine" light checked for free. Then pick up a thermostat and coolant, go home and change it for $20-$30.

I did the Autozone test. It said "Oxygen Sensor". Turned out to be thermostat. Point is I didn't need a Auto Zone test on my '48. Temp gage did the "test" for me. Temp gage read fine on the car in question. Just sayin'.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #23
itslow

70 mph on the freeway with a load? The '32 would be a no-go. The '48 might be doable, but I'd consider it iffy.

Get yourself another 1960's Y-block (or later) truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t8v8 View Post
...Point is I didn't need a Auto Zone test on my '48. Temp gage did the "test" for me. Temp gage read fine on the car in question. Just sayin'.
What if the gauge doesn't read correctly in your '48? Old cars aren't immune to faulty gauges.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:32 PM   #24
petehoovie

TexasAndrew - Get yourself a YUGO - They're easy to push....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:37 PM   #25
Newc

Great post; The best modern advancement is the roller lifters for longevity. About '93 in Ford F series, and trouble free fuel inj about the same time. So go for it.. Lots of '93 and newer trucks running with 300,000 miles. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:31 PM   #26
cas3

i dont think you can get any better than the 66 you sold for an all around use truck. i had a 63 1 ton for 18 years, coast to coast many times in that truck, and when i watched it drive away i already knew i made a bad move. nice and comfy, i could drive all day. got electrical problems? no big deal, 4 screws and the whole dash panel lays on the column to inspect. metal dash, metal door panels, no cracked plastic, my kinda rig. wish i had another with a 6bt cummins in it and i would be done for life.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #27
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
70 mph on the freeway with a load? The '32 would be a no-go. The '48 might be doable, but I'd consider it iffy.

Get yourself another 1960's Y-block (or later) truck.

What if the gauge doesn't read correctly in your '48? Old cars aren't immune to faulty gauges.
Not a F-2. F-1, maybe. F-2, no way 70 mph
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:12 PM   #28
Mart

All Ford trucks were capable of highway speeds.

It's just that the highway speeds were lower when they were built.

I don't get the logic to this post.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:12 PM   #29
rbone

Andrew - not sure where you are in Texas, but I am outside of DFW and have 3 Ford trucks from the 70's - 80's. One runs and drives as is, one would with a little work, and one needs some TLC. If you are interested in one of them, PM me for details.

BTW - I understand the essence of your post. I drive an '03 6.0 PSD that has been absolutely bullet proof. If and when I ever need to replace it, it will very likely be one of the three mentioned above mechanically restored.
rbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:15 AM   #30
1949f1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Great post; The best modern advancement is the roller lifters for longevity. About '93 in Ford F series, and trouble free fuel inj about the same time. So go for it.. Lots of '93 and newer trucks running with 300,000 miles. Newc
We just junked one of those. I can’t remember exactly what it was but something kept jumping off the lifters if it sat for a week or more. My dad messes with the newer stuff so idk. The injectors were starting to go out too it did give us some work though.
1949f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:30 AM   #31
1949f1

Depending on where you live anything post war is good to go. Never daily driven a prewar vehicle but we have a guy around here who’s only truck is a 63 f100. Another guy has an all stock 49 F1 with 6 he drives and yet another with an all original 49 3100 he dailys. In all honesty I’d probably recommend a mid 50s up truck. Don’t like anything after 72 too much added junk. In high school (2 years ago) I drove a 63 c10 that was as good as my moms new Malibu. In fact I prefer the c10 it rides better. I still don’t own anything new. Too much junk to fix on em. I spend more time under the hood of that Malibu than I do my old cars. It managed to just make it out of warranty then start giving us trouble.
1949f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #32
big job

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949f1 View Post
Depending on where you live anything post war is good to go. Never daily driven a prewar vehicle but we have a guy around here who’s only truck is a 63 f100. Another guy has an all stock 49 F1 with 6 he drives and yet another with an all original 49 3100 he dailys. In all honesty I’d probably recommend a mid 50s up truck. Don’t like anything after 72 too much added junk. In high school (2 years ago) I drove a 63 c10 that was as good as my moms new Malibu. In fact I prefer the c10 it rides better. I still don’t own anything new. Too much junk to fix on em. I spend more time under the hood of that Malibu than I do my old cars. It managed to just make it out of warranty then start giving us trouble.
I totally agree especially with 'too much junk' thats if you can find the engine!
Wifes car parked can't get a sticker with stupid check eng. light. Dealer wants a grand to open the hood yes my son has all that plug in foolishness.
I tell her don't look at me, to look at that before a get a barf bucket. Meanwhile my only wheels starts instantly even at 0 degrees and 6volt. too.
I wonder whats it like to go 70mph.? Ain't not way around here. A model T or A is about perfect 35 and 45 is pushing it , pot holes every 10 feet people
back out their driveways not looking, Then time for work I drive a 1954 F900
dump truck under town cemetary contract. Just to go to point A to B is a
act of congress getting launched into the roof even a 35mph. and this is a
state road (no way a state highway which it is) I get taxed to death and the
RMV seals the deal on my check book; where is all that money going? positively not on asphalt.?? and then lottery tickets, thats easy they do not
print any winners, maybe sometimes like bate and a fish hook. So for the
70 mile an hour people come to taxachussets (bring ya checkbook for bent
rims) End of rant ::::::
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #33
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Not a F-2. F-1, maybe. F-2, no way 70 mph
I can still remember fifty years ago now. Riding to town with my uncle in the 49 M68 (3/4 ton) Merc that sits in my yard now. I guess he was keeping up with traffic. Speed limits were likely 55 or 60 on the two lane blacktop at the time. I remember the screaming flathead V8 and wondering if it was going to hold together til we got to town. It did. Tractor like gearing in the rear axle. Springs and tires heavy enough to carry 90 bushels of grain. I don't think it would be a fun ride for many miles in one of those.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #34
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Not sure about other locations, but Kansas did not have a state speed limit until sometime in the 50s. You could drive any speed you liked. All this slow driving in the past does not compute with my memories growing up! Not much need for all this "hopping" up of the flatheads to drive around 30 and 40 mph LOL.

A look at the speedometers will give you a hint. They were designed to place the intended speed in the center of the gauge. With a zero to 100 gauge the intended normal design speed would be in the 40 to 60 mph range and they are certainly capable of 70 mph or more. Now, were they safe at higher speeds? That is another question.

Last edited by JSeery; 02-23-2019 at 10:34 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #35
STEVE O

I think the most important things have been brought up. I agree with several that the mid sixties was probably the closest to meeting the expectations of driving constantly with a load at 70 MPH and be able to handle it , stop it and have good heat and defrosters. There is always excepts but for the most part the mid 70s things go messed up with emissions. As far as being able to work on them the early ones are lots easier, but as stated before some of the new models are not unheard of hitting 300k with no major problems. I think you may have sold the most ideal truck for what you want. Just my 2 cents!
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:44 AM   #36
1oldtimer

I get the point of the OP. The fact that they CAN go over 200k, have a/c, ps, pdb, pw, a super smooth ride is irreverent if you want character and a soul. It's like a time machine to those of us who wern't born when these vehicles were new. I work on them (new vehicles) for a living but it doesn't mean I have to like them and own one. The workout, bumpiness and smells of driving an old car makes you feel alive.

But back to the original topic, if you don't want to change much I would stick with a 50's-60's truck with an overdrive trans (1/2-3/4 ton).
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:51 AM   #37
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I don't get the logic to this post. Mart.

Ya things get sideways quick...

"Mr T" used to post a lot on the A/T forum here.

made some miles and good times...
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...again.1078834/

Last edited by Tinker; 03-03-2019 at 02:49 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:13 AM   #38
Dodge

My friend has a 1934 Pickup, we did put a small block ford and a T-5 trans in it. It has a dropped front axle disc brakes and a 9" rear end. He drives it everyday. He put almost
300,000 on the first motor and now we just did a 331 stroker in it and it now has 50,000
on that motor.

My daily driver is a 1973 Ford F100 with a 331 stroker and holley fuel injection on it.
Great daily driver. Next addition is a gear vendors overdrive behind the C-6 trans.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #39
klawockvet

My daily driver around town is a bone stock 47 V8 still running a 6 volt battery. I have no problem holding it at 70 to 75 on long trips. I guess a lot of the old guys have forgotten how we drove those flatheads back in the fifties and sixties. My mother drove her 39 across the country several times during the WWII days. I remember her telling me that she had to keep it at 70 as much as possible to average 60 MPH. Andrew should have no problem running a good flathead pickup at freeway speeds. Y blocks and FE equipped trucks will pull big loads and stay together at high speeds. Today's oil and filters will keep these dependable Fords going far past what they did with the old oils and filters.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:44 PM   #40
bobH

I haven't been able to understand why op sold the 66 in the first place. Seems like 'offer can't refuse' is, and was not, a good reason. My situation is pretty similar. Daily driver is a 69, which I bought in 1970. It's currently got about 300 on it. I drive it 70+ on the freeway. It's got ps, pb, and a/c. It's been all over the western states. What more could I want? Sounds like op wants back what he sold. If I was to 'up-date', I'd be looking for something new enough to have reliable fi. Something like the 96 Bronco I have, maybe a F100 equivalent. The Bronco has 300 on it, and it's never been apart. It's been 'bullet-proof'.
All JMO.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote