Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2018, 12:13 AM   #21
cas3

Default Re: Mercury Differential

get a wire feed ralph, you wont regret it
cas3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:25 AM   #22
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
get a wire feed ralph, you wont regret it
I believe you are right. I'm still researching the Migs. Shopping a little and watching various youtube videos of them at work. I think the forums have pretty well talked me out of the cheaper little wire feed, flux core wire welders.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:16 PM   #23
paul2748

A suggestion. Once you have the floor pan in and the gas pedal located, weld two nuts to the underside of the pan and use machine screws to bolt it down.. Last a lot longer than using sheet metal screws. I did this when I restored my Tbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Found some good heavy sheet metal in the scrap iron collection today. Not big enough to make a single panel for the driver side so I'll have to splice two (and a bit) narrow sections together. I think this metal is heavy enough I can weld it with the arc welder without burning through. It will give a good strong mounting base for the gas pedal.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:21 AM   #24
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
A suggestion. Once you have the floor pan in and the gas pedal located, weld two nuts to the underside of the pan and use machine screws to bolt it down.. Last a lot longer than using sheet metal screws. I did this when I restored my Tbird
Sounds a good plan but I'm not sure if there might be a part missing from the gas pedal. No sign of a base or any holes to attach it. Whatever it had originally might have disappeared along with the rusted section of floor.
On the 52 I came up with a crude but surprisingly satisfactory replacement. I cut a short of heavy rubber belting material. Screwed one end of it to the gas pedal and the other end to the floor. It seems to work just fine.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #25
Bulligen

Hi Ralph, You must check out the Merc they have as a header on the Jalopy journal. Its cool!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:06 PM   #26
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulligen View Post
Hi Ralph, You must check out the Merc they have as a header on the Jalopy journal. Its cool!
Its a very nice 54 but I'm still stuck on the 52-53 style. Those chrome surround tail lights are the best part. Plus the Dagmars on the 53 of course
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 Mercs Dec 17 2 (1 of 1).jpg (62.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-31-2018, 10:06 PM   #27
Bulligen

There was an old man that drove a 53 4dr sedan almost every day When I first moved to Elgin 40 years ago. Come to think of it the car was not that old at that time, Ha! It was a metallic sort of green with an ivory roof. Don't know what ever happened to it.
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:32 PM   #28
1949f1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulligen View Post
There was an old man that drove a 53 4dr sedan almost every day When I first moved to Elgin 40 years ago. Come to think of it the car was not that old at that time, Ha! It was a metallic sort of green with an ivory roof. Don't know what ever happened to it.
hmm... my 53 was a "woodland green" with ivory top. i was told it came from the town of Mackenzie Tennessee but I wonder how many were actually ordered that way?
1949f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:43 PM   #29
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949f1 View Post
hmm... my 53 was a "woodland green" with ivory top. i was told it came from the town of Mackenzie Tennessee but I wonder how many were actually ordered that way?
I have spent a lot of time searching the net to find out the actual name of the colour combination on my 53. I know the 52 is a solid "fanfare Maroon" but can't find anything conclusive on the 53. My sense of colour is not that great and have a hard time with these charts on screen. So for now I'm just calling it green with a white top. If I had to make a guess I'd say Sungate ivory roof with Timberline green body. I've cleaned it up a lot since this photo but didn't have any outdoor photos after the clean and shine. Indoor lighting does not give an accurate view in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53 Merc rear door (1 of 1).jpg (91.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-31-2018, 11:52 PM   #30
RalphG

Ok, maybe disregard my comments on the colours. I see the chart I was looking at was for 1953 Ford, not Mercury. Search continues.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:38 PM   #31
1949f1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Ok, maybe disregard my comments on the colours. I see the chart I was looking at was for 1953 Ford, not Mercury. Search continues.
Timberlane green and ivory sounds right. I can’t remember where I got the color from. It may have been from my 49-57 Ford parts book. I’ll check tomorrow if there is a section on paint.
1949f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #32
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949f1 View Post
Timberlane green and ivory sounds right. I can’t remember where I got the color from. It may have been from my 49-57 Ford parts book. I’ll check tomorrow if there is a section on paint.
I'm beginning to suspect that the plain old Ford paint charts are different to the Mercury, Meteor, Monarch paint charts. Have you ever seen "fanfare maroon" as a paint option for a 52 Ford? That is what my 52 Merc is. Code 95 on my i.d. plate but maybe its a Canadian car difference?
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...ercury&rows=50