Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
machineman64

Default spray paint for wheels

Hi guys,
Does anyone know of a spray paint that is a close match to the straw color used on wheels?
thanks, John
machineman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: spray paint for wheels

Try these guys;

http://www.apstowerpaint.com/
Old 02-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

Do you have Orchard Supply & Hardware there? I found a really decent color there in spray cans. It did a really nice job. I painted the backside first & the front side last. Bill W.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Barry B./ Ma.

Wheels should be painted Tacoma cream according to the literature I've read. I found a nice match at Sherwin Williams in spray cans I believe called Sunset cream or something like that. Very good quality paint.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
springerpete

If you are able to, take a wheel or color chip from the model A paint book to an auto parts store that mixes paint or a auto paint store and have them mix you a matched color. They should be able to put it in a spray can. I have found that autoimobile finishes are a lot better than what you can normally get in a rattle can. In Maine, I use Motor Supply Co. Great stuff. Good luck.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Larry Seemann

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Do you have Les Schwab tire stores in your area? If so, they are a great place to get wheels powder coated. They have a color they call Fruehauf Yellow that is very close to Tacoma Cream. I just had a set done recently. They send the wheels to their home plant in Oregon, sand blast them, powder coat them, and send them back. takes about a week. The last ones I had done they charged me $30.40 per wheel - total! Since they have trucks running back and forth to Prineville (OR) every day there is no shipping charge.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Purdy Swoft

I bought two quarts of Sherwin Williams straw in acrylic enamel from Automotive paints unlimited in Roxboro NC 336-599-5155 . This was in 04 , I don't know if they are still in business. The price at the time was fifty dollars per quart,They had model A colors in Acrylic lacquer as well as acrylic enamel. We decided to paint our wheels red instead and I still have the two quarts of straw paint. Some have wanted it but none would pay the price. I only wanted what I paid for it so it remains on the shelf. Usually you can get something close in Rustoleum from Walmart for seven or eight dollars per quart, add some universal hardener and it works well. If it is a driver,most won't know the difference.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
green30coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Usually you can get something close in Rustoleum from Walmart for seven or eight dollars per quart, add some universal hardener and it works well. If it is a driver,most won't know the difference.
Live and learn! I did not know you could add hardener to Rustoleum. Any particular brand and about how much?

Ed
green30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

I have used the universal super wet look hardener from Smart shopper in Kentucky 800-541-0399 , this is a great source for the best prices on paint and body supplies. any hardener that works with enamel or acrylic enamel will work with Rustoleum. You need four ounces of hardener per quart of paint. Don't add hardener until the paint is thinned and ready to use. the hardener will cause the paint to first jell, then harden after the hardener is added. The paint gun must be cleaned right after you finish spraying to prevent ruining the paint gun , This holds true with any hardener. I use lacquer thinner for clean up. alkyd/synthetic enamel reducer or mineral spirits work well for thinning Rustoleum. The can instructions for Rustoleum recommends thinning with acetone at 5% but this is for brush application. The paint must be thinner for use with a paint gun and if thinned with acetone or lacquer thinner, the paint will fade rather quickly. Rustoleum seems to hold up well if thinned (reduced) . with enamel reducer and four ounces of hardener per quart of paint . I usually add two parts paint to one part thinner/reducer. Some enamels are thicker and need more reducer.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 02-23-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
59mgaguy

I take it you didn't paint your car. If you did check out the paint code on the paint you used to pin strip the body. I painted my wheels black to be different from everyone else. Black was standard from the factory and If I remember correctly it was $2.50 to paint each wheel the same as the pin strip.
59mgaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

I plan to paint the wheels black on my 29 tudor if I ever get arround to it. It will look original for a 29 model .