Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2021, 11:55 AM   #1
KGBnut

Default Visit to the Henry Ford Museum

I'm doing a cross country trip in a few weeks and plan on a some site-seeing stops along the way. One of the places I want to go is the Henry Ford Museum. Taking a quick look on their website, it looks like it is more of a collection of museums. I only have a few hours, so I can't see it all. For those of you who have been there, what would you recommend for a guy like me that is most interested in seeing things related to the old cars.

Their website lists:

Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation
Greenfield Village
Ford Rouge Factory Tour

Thanks in advance,

Ken
Old 06-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Visit to the Henry Ford Museum

I think you should slow the trip down a bit and do the sight seeing part.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
I'm doing a cross country trip in a few weeks and plan on a some site-seeing stops along the way. One of the places I want to go is the Henry Ford Museum. Taking a quick look on their website, it looks like it is more of a collection of museums. I only have a few hours, so I can't see it all. For those of you who have been there, what would you recommend for a guy like me that is most interested in seeing things related to the old cars.

Their website lists:

Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation
Greenfield Village
Ford Rouge Factory Tour

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Ken you are asking us to tell you what color of a car to buy. There are many, many different things in the museum that are not what you think of in a car museum. I have probably been a museum visitor 8-10 different times and each time something else catches my eye. One time it may be a display of bread toasters, -or telephones, -or ??? Again, what may interest you may not interest you in the slightest.

I would also encourage you to spend at minimum of a full day at the museum. Next door to the museum is the Benson Ford library which is where the library is that stores all of the Model-A blueprints. They keep saying they are going to re-open it soon, so it may be open by the time you are on your trip.

The one thing that I would suggest if you do spend the day there is to pack you a lunch and go back out to your car for lunch. I have found it is very easy to spend $20-$25 for a sandwich, chips, and a drink in their restaurants.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:42 PM   #4
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

The one thing that I would suggest if you do spend the day there is to pack you a lunch and go back out to your car for lunch. I have found it is very easy to spend $20-$25 for a sandwich, chips, and a drink in their restaurants.
But also remember that your meal helps keep the attraction open to the public! All Museums need a lot of help during and since this pandemic, don't cheap out!
Old 06-29-2021, 06:15 PM   #5
1ton

Two days to see it all. Me being a train buff I'd suggest checking out the Allegheny steam locomotive. Damn thing is huge and you wouldn't believe that it ran on regular track.
1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:30 PM   #6
Gene F

If you go you are gonna want to see it all. Kinda like taking a kid to the candy factory, and he can only have a candy bar. Sorry to be such a downer, but it's quite a place.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:20 PM   #7
burner31

You don't have time for the Henry Ford Museum
If/when you go plan on at least two days
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:54 AM   #8
Chris Haynes

If you are looking to see cars you will be disappointed.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:19 AM   #9
jquinlan

Make sure you visit the village. Takes you back in time. The museum is also very interesting. Like others said, take two days.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:23 AM   #10
KGBnut

As much as I appreciate the advice to take more time, it simply isn't an option. At most, I will have about four hours. So again, my question is, with those limitations in mind, where would you recommend that I spend my time? I think I have to choose just one of the exhibits. I would hate to just pass it by.

Ken
Old 06-30-2021, 07:41 AM   #11
Jim Mason

When I enter the museum proper, I turn right and start with the trains. It used to be like wandering through 'Henry Fords attic '. It has become more museum like with exhibits.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:50 AM   #12
Mister Moose

If you want to see cars, try the Model T plant on Paquette Ave, Several As there as well. Or include the Gilmore a few hours down the road.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:52 AM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
But also remember that your meal helps keep the attraction open to the public! All Museums need a lot of help during and since this pandemic, don't cheap out!
It is in the same building however it is (-both are) a sub-contractor but not really a part of the HF. If someone wants to help the museum financially (-and more importantly the Benson library), cheap out on the meal but buy the $65 annual membership to the HF. It saves money on the museum admission, saves the parking fee, and if saves money on things purchased at the library. I also think it gives access to Greenfield Village which is all right there.

Ken, one other thing you will likely want to put on your bucket list, is to eat lunch/dinner at Ford's Garage. (Google it if you are unfamiliar with it) If you turn right out of the museum onto Oakwood and go about ½ a mile up to Michigan Ave, you will turn right again at the light and it is up about a ½ mile just past the big Ford dealer on your right.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 06-30-2021, 07:52 AM   #14
Jim Mason

Map of the museum and village
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R645e249274d6bbceae0685dbdd8ccc84.jpg (71.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Rddb6bf4c7d3f35795d528f60cec1817d.jpg (96.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-30-2021, 10:33 AM   #15
KGBnut

Quote:
Ken, one other thing you will likely want to put on your bucket list, is to eat lunch/dinner at Ford's Garage. (Google it if you are unfamiliar with it) If you turn right out of the museum onto Oakwood and go about ½ a mile up to Michigan Ave, you will turn right again at the light and it is up about a ½ mile just past the big Ford dealer on your right.
That sound like just my style. Thanks for the tip. I will try to fit it in. Isn't there a similar place somewhere in Florida?
Old 06-30-2021, 10:52 AM   #16
J Franklin

Brent's idea to subscribe to a membership to the museum is a great one, but still the food you may eat at the museum still funnels cash to the museum. The contractor running the place is surely paying for the privilege. As an aside, when we went to the village we found there was a residence of one of my ancestors, what fun.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:28 AM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Brent's idea to subscribe to a membership to the museum is a great one, but still the food you may eat at the museum still funnels cash to the museum. The contractor running the place is surely paying for the privilege.

Well then, that contractor needs to adjust his prices to a little more realistic (-i.e.: affordable)!!

Nah seriously, I think this may be a little deeper than what it seems. I am guessing Ford holdings owns the property and is the landlord to the Ford library, the museum, the village, the theatre, the hall of fame, restaurants, et/al. Why I say this is there are adjoining property within the campus that we park on for OCF and Motor Muster that is by permission. If it were all a part of HF, this would not be a big deal for us to have access to.

What I have learned over the years is the HF is a much larger entity than just a museum. What I have been told is they have like 1½ million guests per year, and while an admission fee of $25-$30 multiplied by that amount would be astronomical, I have been told their operating money is actually generated more from philanthropy and estate donations. It would not surprise me one bit if their annual budget is not $50M, -or even more. Skipping a meal at the restaurants there likely takes less than a dollar or so commission away from the HF. Not sure if that will be noticed by the few of us Fordbarners that will actually visit the campus during lunch time.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 06-30-2021, 12:48 PM   #18
alexiskai

Quote:
What I have learned over the years is the HF is a much larger entity than just a museum. What I have been told is they have like 1½ million guests per year, and while an admission fee of $25-$30 multiplied by that amount would be astronomical, I have been told their operating money is actually generated more from philanthropy and estate donations. It would not surprise me one bit if their annual budget is not $50M, -or even more. Skipping a meal at the restaurants there likely takes less than a dollar or so commission away from the HF. Not sure if that will be noticed by the few of us Fordbarners that will actually visit the campus during lunch time.
You can look up their annual report here. Their 2019 operating budget was $73.5m, of which $16m revenue was derived from restaurants. AFAIK the HF does operate the restaurants itself, so it's not just a lease or commission they're getting from the purchases.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:03 PM   #19
BUDB

A high point for me was the huge steam generator that was one of several that powered the Highland Park plant in the model T days
BUDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:23 PM   #20
psimet

I spent a little time living and working down the road in the Plymouth/Canton area. Was able to visit the museum multiple times. Really enjoyed it and think it's one of the best museums in the country (..and I currently live in Chicagoland).

Take time to visit it all. Personally if I had to skip something it would be Greenfield Village but that was never really my thing.

I haven't been in 17 years or so and am actually thinking of making a trip that way with the family to go again at some point.
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote