Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
darrylkmc

Default 180A Deluxe Phaeton Top Irons and Bows

While working on my early 1930 Standard Phaeton 35B this winter I had the opportunity to sort through some items from the estate of the gentleman who brought my 35B from Canada to Alaska in 1959. I was pretty excited when I came across Top Irons wrapped in burlap and twine that was shipped from New York to Alaska sometime prior to the use of Zip Codes. He did have a couple of 35B’s and a cut up 180A. My car is missing the entire Top Irons and Bows.
With some effort and much penetrating oil, yesterday I attached it to my Phaeton and unfold it to see what condition it was in.
Although it does not fit my car, it appears to be in very good condition. These are my observations, which consequently leads me to some questions. On either side of the front bow are the cast pieces with raised #’s A-181930/A-181931 which attach to the top of the windshield – 180A, 40B. All the iron parts are painted black, not “Buff” or Stainless. However I have not scraped any of the paint off to further investigate, but so far nothing looks like Stainless. The Bent Bows look like Oak but are darker in appearance that what I have seen in photos, with very few nail holes, which leads me to believe that it was only installed once. One of the bows has a portion where the wood has begun to separate at the radius. Around here there are no 35B's or 180A's for comparison.
Once it stops raining here I could post some photos of the Irons/Bows.
My main question is regarding the apparent lack of Stainless, did some 180A's come with all carbon steel Top Irons?
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
peters180a/170b

Default Re: 180A Deluxe Phaeton Top Irons and Bows

The 180A and 40B have the same header . There is "NO" Stainless on the top irons. If anything it is CHROME Plated and that's only the rear right and left bars on the last bow which has the top prop knob to the body. All the other irons gets painted a greenish brown color.There are 7 irons to a side which the 2 back ones are chromed. The first bar[over drivers door is 30 inches from back of cast piece to first rivet. All the #s i have seen are not raised but cast in.. Hope this helps.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
darrylkmc

Thanks for the quick response, the weather is looking favorable at this time. In about an hour I should be able to get a better look at the Top Irons. Last night I gave up when a storm hit.
I will get it out in the light and do a full investigation and try and get some photos.
Again thanks for the information.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
darrylkmc

Thanks once again peters180a/170b, I am currently uploading photos into an album here on fordbarn. I think that they show the top pretty well. I see some evidence that the rear right and left bar were chrome plated, also the 7 individual irons and the fact that someone painted the irons with black paint. The 30" dimension I am coming up with is from the center of the windshield post to the second rivet, which is at the end of the iron attached to the cast piece. I am having trouble uploading more photos, I can send high quality ones that show much better quality than what I have been able to post
here. Including the raised Part #'s on the front cast part that attaches to the top of the windshield post.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
peters180a/170b

Darryl , the pictures on you album are 180A top iron and wood. Looks to be in very good shape [even with the correct thumb screws] Might be a early set for the 180A ??? Darryl you need to sell or trade for what you need....Maybe someone has a ORIGINAL set for sale for your Standard 30/31 fordor phaeton....I'll let some of the 180A guy's know you have a set.Good luck with your restoration...its looks to be a very nice car to start with..
Old 07-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Bick in New Zealand

Darryl

Does your 35B have a body number that starts with 6F, here in NZ our phaetons came from Canada and I am building up quite a list of body numbers. Does it still have the Canadian Motor?

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
darrylkmc

peters180a/170b
Thanks so much for your time and helping to confirm my suspicion. Please feel free to pass any of this information along and if you would like any additional photos or dimensions please let me know. I will probably have this 180A top on my car for the next few days. The front header is made out of two pieces, upper and lower. The wood is actually quite presentable. I have plenty of time and am in hopes that I, or someone, can locate an original set of 35B Irons for my Phaeton, maybe someone has the opposite problem and has Standard top irons.
Bick in New Zealand
Indeed, my 35B is body 6F1903 with the original engine CAT3610, the sister car to mine which came to Alaska at the same time is 6F1426 which was engine CAE95XX however this engine is no longer in the car, but I do know where it is. Some publications have a misprint and do not show CAE, a March 1930 production.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
peters180a/170b

Darryl , i think you will find that your 35B top iron is as hard to find as a 180A. l.o.l. good luck and thanks for all the pictures. Your header is in 2 pieces as mine was.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
darrylkmc

Peter,

I have no doubt that you are correct, I have an awful lot of TIG welding to do before I get anywhere near being able to put a top on my Phaeton. And since our summers here are so short I am going to continue to enjoy my car pretty much as is, only mechanical and safety first issues during driving season. Long winters ahead will allow me to work on cosmetic issues followed by interior, top and such. And as the old timers told me growing up "Just Wait".
Did you see the copies of the shipping tags that I emailed to you? There is no telling where or why he may have picked up this top. He was originally from Mass.

Darryl
Old 07-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
Bick in New Zealand

Thanks for the info Darryl, the closest I have to your car, is my first Model A, shown in the avatar which was 6F2049 engine CAT3941, there are several close to your friends, 6F 1199 CAE4140, and 6F1438 & 6F1459 with unknown motor numbers.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
darrylkmc

Bick,

Do you have any photos of the location, orientation, stamp sizes etc. of the 6F markings on any of these Phaetons?
Do you still have the Phaeton in your avatar?
Somewhere I have photos of the body number from my car that I could forward to you, I am curious to see if they are the same size stamps and location as the two Phaetons here.
I am sure Phaeton bodies from Detroit went all over but the body numbers and engine numbers of our CAT cars are quite close together.
Darryl
Old 07-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
Bick in New Zealand

I am going from memory here, but on the left hand side body rail by the cowl. I will get a photo for you of one to compare. My Canadian built coupe numbers are half an inch high by three inches long. I don't have the phaeton anymore, it had been trucked and I used it for spares.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
darrylkmc

Bick,

Here is a photo of my Phaeton Body # 6F1903 stamped on the left side rail, if the photo doesn't show up it is also in my Model A Album

Darryl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC140014.jpg (66.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 07-31-2011, 03:13 AM   #14
Bick in New Zealand

Yes that looks the same as the ones here. I will photograph one for you to compare.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #15
blgitn

Guys,
Are all the bodies stamped there? I just buffed up the spot and don't see any evidence of numbers. -Mine is a RHD indented firewall model.
R/ Roger.
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #16
blgitn

-and it's a Standard 4-door Phaeton

R/ Roger.
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
darrylkmc

The other Phaeton here is stamped exactly as shown in the photo of my car. Try looking in front of the seat under the floor mat area.
Phaeton body number locations would make an interesting thread.