Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #41
dick lyons

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

yes, sorry about not seeing ohio. thinking proctervill. ca.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #42
Bruce in southern OH

Sent 32Phil my glove box lock number, he is going to cut a key, should work in trumk, found the registration cards in drivers side glove box, same family has owned car sense new, also one tag from Columbia overdrive and 4 coins ( 35 nickel, and four Lincoln head pennies, 40,45, 46,48) Get trunk open and find all the bags of silver coins. I will be in the black!!!
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #43
storyteller

Rode in a sedan just like this one when I was about 13 years old. My dad was trying it out and I so wanted him to buy it. I think the V-12 scared him out of the deal. Still remember peeking out the back window in that big old Zephyr sixty two years ago like it was yesterday. Good luck with your project.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #44
Shadetree

Bruce,
You lucky dog! What a find! Looks like it is in good shape, good enough to drive as is. Congratulations!

Hope you can bring it to Gallipolis. But wait, I haven't seen the `34 yet! Bring'em both!

Bud
Old 07-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #45
m.e.pouncy

Bruce you can get some good tips on restoring this car at Steve's Auto Restorations he is doing a 4 door as I write this. I was glad you decided to go with the Big Block Chevy and Auto trans. I would limit the top chop to not more then 3 inches.
m.e.pouncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #46
Bruce in southern OH

THANKS, that is like being put in jail or holding cell with 10 guys and as you walk away saying, "you should not have molested the little baby", thanks Mabe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( railroad is calling you )
Old 07-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #47
Bruce in southern OH

Replaced oil, installed battery, re-installed the fuel pump ( works fine ) and tested carburetor with gas and sprays gas when throttle is moved. Don P. replaced the points with nos points I had and checked out on his Sun Machine and my Allen machine. Checked the condensers and showed good. I will go down to Dons and we are thinking of using old spark plug wires to start. Caps for distributor will have to be sanded to go back in distributor. Small amount of coil ignition wiring will have to be replaced because insulation is bad. Lots of little things to get done before Blast Off! I did hook up battery yesterday and turned motor with starter, starter worked good. Will have to check out the water and radiator before I go for start. Going to use the little plastic gas tank I have until I get the trunk key to look in trunk for access to top of gas tank through sending unit hole.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #48
Highboy34

jGreat find, Bruce.

Looking over the engine picture, there is what appears to be a vacuum line running down over the drivers side cylinder head and also a bowden/push-pull cable running horizontally along the drivers side firewall. They both look like parts of a Columbia two-speed setup. The vacuum line would come off the top of the intake manifold behind the carb and down to the Columbia two-port valve mounted on the frame or on the steering box. The push-pull dashboard knob would pull the lever on the speedo gear changer mounted horizontally on the firewall about where that cable is living now.

Have you looked at the rear axle? Columbia under there?
Highboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #49
Bruce in southern OH

Highboy34, Yes, the Columbia is under there, I have not touched anything with the Columbia, the hose/tubing does go down to steering box. Is there anything I can do to the controls while I wait on engine parts. Thanks for reply and information
Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #50
Bruce in southern OH

Working past couple of weeks, today got to go to Don P.'s and see his work, he has distributor for V12 working perfect. We also installed the twelve new spark plug wires in looms and installed wires in position in caps. Don P. had to cut two cap gaskets that I was short. The gasket cutter he has is near perfect, have to find one for my future projects. I will install the distributor on car, then coil, new wired looms on engine, generator, fan belt, small about of wiring to coils, and two wires to generator, hook up battery, install carburetor, vacuum lines, install spark plugs and a temporary gas tank!!! If I get everything together I will call Don and go for a start after 30 plus years.
Wires from Boos

Gasket cutter

Holding finger after letting small amount of Blood out, ouch!!!!!

Thanks Don!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #51
Sixseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a link to a '40 thats been advertized
on the HAMB for about 6 weeks.........

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...-sedan.926804/

Just checked out that Zepher and he stripped the engine, front axle and rear brakes. That car went from a nice restore to a parts car. Dummy!
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #52
Vic Piano

Lookin' good Bruce, hopefully she'll fire right up for you.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #53
Bruce in southern OH

Vic/everyone, got car running and runs very good, NOW THE PROBLEM!! Now I know why the transmission floor pans are removed, the car will not go in gear. I am trying to decide whether to pull rear end and clean up or motor(motor clean). Vic your thread is so long to go through, thought that you and gang had pulled transmission in past. What direction did you go?
First start up after a long sleep!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #54
Vic Piano

Bruce, we did pull the transmission out of the Zephyr, not once but twice (Bad Chinese parts the first rebuild). I would suggest that you pull the rear back to get the transmission out. The transmission has to be removed from the inside of the car so pulling the rear back is (at least it was for us) the easiest way to get the job done. Have fun with it.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #55
Highboy34

A couple of Zephyr thoughts: Because the Columbia takes vacuum directly from the intake manifold, be sure the lines are good throughout or it will suck air and give you a leanness problem.

These engines had poor crankcase ventilation and condensation readily built up in engines that were regularly run to less than full hot condition, i.e. short distances on/off, etc. On
my 37, I noticed a little pimple on the outside of the intake riser. I picked at it and found a corrosion hole in the intake runner through from the runner bottom down into the lifter valley in the block. Condensation had completely corroded it away. We cut away the side of the intake riser and patched in material there and on the bottom of the manifold. no problems since. You may wish to check your runners carefully to be sure they are good.

Good luck with your Zephyr project. Beautiful cars.
Highboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #56
BUBBAS IGNITION

Be more than happy to do the distributor, send coil to Skip and we can get them done......
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #57
Mike B

I keep checking in to see if Bruce found out what was in the trunk!
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #58
Bruce in southern OH

Bubbas, thanks, have the distributor taken care of, used NOS points we have picked up over the years and replaced, condensers both tested fine, (set up on Sun and Allen machine and manual fixture by Don P. ) have a 1 nos rotor, but old one was fine. FordBarn always to the rescue. The engine did not turn over five or six times and BURST to LIFE. Ignition, Ignition, Ignition!!! I am boxing up 2nd spare coil and will send to Skip, I have talked to him and got price plus shipping, will use for spare or change out with coil on engine and save for spare.
Mike you are not the only one to ask about trunk, Mabe P. calls about every other day and ask what I am hiding from him, he knows I found Hoffa's body or a couple bags of Philly bank money. ( only a 35 nickel and four Lincoln head pennies ) Phil 32, is making keys but I have not received anything yet, got a PM from him and was told he would try again on Monday to make key. Need a FX314 if anyone has one????? When I open trunk I will video the occasion and post. Making a list now of taking the rear end out of Old Zephyr so I can pull transmission and change/examine the clutch/disc, etc. I will clean up everything while out, free up emergency brake cables. I will have to look up disc size but I think it will be a 9" clutch and disc #7550 in V8 books list 9", but think 7550 number is used for all disc, need a letter or additional number if 11" etc., any info is always appreciated, thanks everyone for the help, BJ

Last edited by Bruce in southern OH; 08-02-2014 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Change color of name to make clear
Old 08-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #59
Bruce in southern OH

I worked this afternoon on clutch to see if any addition adjustment was present. If I adjusted pedal so that I got max travel ( clutch Arm touching back of bell housing ) the pressure plate throw out bearing was running all the time, still as I did this with car running it would not release. (could not place in gear) Don P. did some research and found lots of threads on AACA and others that talked about long finger pressure plates, and extra thick clutch disc. Without the correct parts you will start out with max rod adjustment and very little wear time and incorrect free pedal travel. This is what the problem is and was for previous owner, explains why the transmission cover was off and why car was parked. I am still trying to contact previous owner for his story. Any info and parts location appreciated, some said that NAA tractor disc and presure plates work, let me know,
info taken by 9 year old post on AACA site:
Re: H-V-12 Clutch plate
Hey JB make sure you have the "LONG ONE" pressure
plate [10 inch] with the adjustable fingers.
Then get a 10 inch clutch disc.they used on pick ups
which have thicker facings.
Also some ford tractor disc's have thicker clutch
facings like the 53 Jubilee.
The Basic pressure plate [Long One semi centrifical]
used on all H 12's are hard to find
but,they were also used on Ford tractors.
One other item you may need to measure your
flywheel thickness and see if has been re surfaced
too many times, this would also cause the length
of your adjusting rod to change.

Last edited by Bruce in southern OH; 08-03-2014 at 09:05 PM. Reason: add correct words
Old 08-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #60
Bruce in southern OH

Got some info from Vic,
Hi Bruce,

We replaced the clutch and pressure plate, etc. in the '39 LZ two years ago. The clutch & pressure plate are the same as the ones that go into the '51 F-1 (as I recall) I think I got them from Joblot.

Last edited by Bruce in southern OH; 08-04-2014 at 06:15 AM. Reason: spelling