Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2019, 01:21 PM   #1
Cape Codder

Default Engine Blow By or Not

I have had what appears to be Blow By from my engine for some time now. I originally that I was loosing water because the drain was always wet. Of course further investigation showed that in fact it was oil DRIPPING down the return pipe to the drain. Is there anything that can be done about this short of taking the oil servicing cap off and installing one that has the extended flexible pipe?

With just a little over 12,000 miles on motor, should this be happening? Does anyone else have this problem?

I would also like to hear from some of the engine re-builders that are often on this site!
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
nick c

Default Re: Engine Blow By or Not

Heres what we need to know, did you take this block to a machine shop and have it bored out and buy new over sized pistons and rings or did someone say it was rebuilt when you bought it?
Now removed all 4 spark plugs, open throttle and check the compression and report back to us.
carry on
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
ryanheacox

Sounds like a lot of oil but then it is a pretty common complaint for oil to spray out of the breather. Do you know if you’re burning oil? If you have bad blow by odds would be you’d also be burning quite a bit of oil.

My old engine had the disliked “steel wool in the cap” fix and I never had an issue. The engine rebuilder removed it and now I do get a mist of oil aft of the filler tube, not a big deal to me.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:34 PM   #4
Cape Codder

Want to thank you both for your responses!

First, I had the motor rebuilt 12,502 ago maybe 5 years ago at a noted machine shop with either 60 or 80 over pistons. Just this past March I had a valve issue which has been rectified with NEW valves and cut seats. In March I also checked the compression at 60-62 lbs. in all cylinders.

As far as the oil I don't usually add oil during my 800-1000 mile oil changes. And no I don't have steel wool in the oil filler cap.

As best I can tell is the mist comes out the oil filler cap onto the water return hose and then drips down to the water petcock and drips off that onto my engine pans where I wipe it down every time I check the oil before a ride.

Last comment: the car runs very well especially since I did the valve work!
Old 08-10-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
ryanheacox

I'm guessing with those compression numbers you have a stock head? If so, I really wouldn't worry too much about it especially since you say the engine runs well. There are a few different ways to address it if you want to, the breather tube, the steel wool, or a sock over the filler.

Oh, how tight does the filler tube fit in the block? Mine is a little loose and I get a little oil coming out from around the base sometimes. Also, check the baffles in the tube, they were revised a few times over the production run.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:07 PM   #6
Johnny Nitro

Like ryanheacox, I reluctantly placed a stainless steel scrub pad in the oil filler tube. Solved my admittedly minor mist problem.
Johnny Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #7
chrs1961815

I like to use the last design of the filler tube as I think it performs the best. Ford realized that blow by was an issue and tried to correct it by changing the way the baffles are oriented in the tube but they never quite got it right. The interesting thing is that some engines have this problem really bad, others maybe a little, and some are completely blow by free. Probably due to the way oiling was experimented with in the block castings. Some designs better than others.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:35 PM   #8
daveymc29

Perhaps some variation in misting could be attributed to the orientation of the baffles? I would guess if one is really concerned that you could mark the tube and rotate it some until you discover what orientation gives the best results. I had used a copper scrub pad to eliminate my misting, then folks seemed set against that so I took it out. Don't notice much difference, so maybe it mysteriously cured itself?
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:31 AM   #9
Kurt in NJ

I experimented some with my smiths compresser--- I overfilled the oil to just above the "F", it proceeded to spew drops and drool --- for about 3 hours, then it mostly stopped, and the oil level was just below the "F"
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:38 AM   #10
Bob Bidonde

The 1st thing you should do is to test the compression in each cylinder. Everything is conjecture until you get some facts about the engine's internal condition.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #11
Railcarmover
BANNED

The previous owner of an engine I have added an additional crankcase vent in the valve cover at the rear top.It reduces crankcase pressure at another spot and helps relieve any crankcase pressure in the valve gallery,potentially reducing rear main leakage.It seems to work well.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #12
nick c

Heres an idea, I just cranked up my rebuilt engine with .040 pistons and rings, I held my hand over the filler tube for 30 seconds, there was No pressure build up, just the fluttering of the pistons. I must confess that I installed a pvc valve high on the valve cover because I saw it in a magazine maybe? I believe a minute amount of oil can only help the valves and upper piston and rings.
Here's my question, what difference could it make if you over filled the crankcase, all excess oil runs off the dipper tray, and the crankcase oil level is well below the dipper tray, and they made 2 dip sticks, the F mark is 1/2" higher than others.
carry on
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #13
1931 flamingo

Your rear main is going to leak due to the over fill. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:27 PM   #14
Cape Codder

Bob Bidonde My readings are still the same: #1 - 62lbs., #2 - 60lbs, #3 - 60lbs. #4 - 60lbs. Now what?
Old 08-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #15
ryanheacox

I can’t speak for Bob but even readings that are the same as last time would indicate to me that your engine is in good shape.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:08 AM   #16
chrs1961815

Those compression readings are very normal. Your motor is fine. It is probably just your oiling system combined with the filler pipe.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:37 AM   #17
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
I like to use the last design of the filler tube as I think it performs the best. Ford realized that blow by was an issue and tried to correct it by changing the way the baffles are oriented in the tube but they never quite got it right. The interesting thing is that some engines have this problem really bad, others maybe a little, and some are completely blow by free. Probably due to the way oiling was experimented with in the block castings. Some designs better than others.
I agree with you. The last design made for the 1932-34 4 cylinder engines was the best.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 08-13-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #18
talwrench

I have a good running engine that used to mist oil out the fill tube until and old timer told me to put one of my old socks over it. Problem solved. I change it with oil changes.
talwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #19
Dirtrack49

I just purchased a 30 Town Sedan that had 2 miles on it. I have now put a little over 140 miles on it trying to break in the engine. I noticed that my return pipe also gets oil on it. One of the first things I saw was the oil filler pipe was loose, so I shimmed it up with some metal tape.
I still get a little blow by from the top of the filler tube. I am thinking this is somewhat common place and I really am not that concerned.
Your compression readings are good, so I would just continue to drive and maintain your A.
Tom L.
Dirtrack49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #20
Cape Codder

Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments!!!