Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2017, 06:34 AM   #1
2manycars

Default 100

If my father were still alive, he would be 100 years old today. He got me started with model A's in 1960.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg popsa-ma.jpg (17.2 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg popsa64.jpg (17.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg popsafr.jpg (23.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg popsan41.jpg (14.5 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg popsrdsr.jpg (22.6 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg popsroadster02.jpg (81.2 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg popsroadster20.jpg (65.9 KB, 105 views)
Old 10-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #2
Sunnybrook Farm

Default Re: 100

When I got into Model A's in the early 70s I learned from guys that age and older, some had bought a new Model A or T from the dealer. I don't remember it being so technical then, many didn't use a torque wrench and yet everything ran fine. I really miss those guys.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
If my father were still alive, he would be 100 years old today. He got me started with model A's in 1960.
He was a smart man for getting you involved!
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
jimalabam

While stationed in Fort Worth, I got the "A" bug in 1964. A founding member of the Cowtown A's, Joe York, took me under his wing and tutored me in all aspects of the Model A. Never remember asking a question that I did not get a good answer. Joe passed a few years ago, I continue at 80 years to play with the A's and miss my friend Joe "the little ole watchmaker. Jim Langley...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #5
FRANK PKNY

I cut my teeth on a Mode A around 1958. I was 14 at the time, talked my father into letting me buy a 1930 coupe with the understanding he would use it till I was 16 and could drive it. I had a paper route, about 100 customers, when the weather was real bad, dad on occasion, would drive me on the route, one day in November a big whitetail buck stood in the middle of the road and when we had to stop for him, he attacked the Model A poking a hole in the radiator. Dad beeped the horn, he got really angry and poked a second hole in the radiator. Luckily we were close to home and did get there before we lost all the fluid. I went to a junkyard in Sandy Hook Ct. and purchased a used one for $4.00 I had to take it off or pay $5.00. Dad nick named the car Petunia. I drove it all through high school, did a bunch of crazy things with it. They were good times, we always stood and respected our country and flag. God bless America!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
MickeyT

Send a message via MSN to MickeyT Send a message via Yahoo to MickeyT

I met one of those guys in early 70's while stationed in Hurst, Texas. He was a retired big truck mechanic and when I bought an early 1954 GMC pickup to rebuild I discovered it had a cracked block behind the pushrod cover. Being a poor enlisted guy there was no way I could afford a rebuild or new engine. He taught me how to "lace" a cracked block. I later used that truck (same engine) to tow my family car from Texas to Connecticut. The family car was a Ford and the GMC was painted Gulf orange. I remember hearing a trucker on his CB telling the other truckers to "look at that U-Haul towing a poor man's Cadillac".
MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
barnstuf

My Dad did not intentionally get me started as a Model A enthusiast, but it worked out that way. On September 27, 1928 he traded his 1926 Model T Sedan for a brand new 1928 Fordor from Provincetown Motor Sales, the Ford dealership in Provincetown, Mass. It's engine number was A417892 and the key numbers were 1038 and 1130. I wonder if that car exists today. Salesman Willis Rich delivered the car to Dad and after a brief conversation left in the traded in Model T. I remember this clearly, recall many many rides in the car, and how as a growing boy I grew tall enough that I could no longer stand up in the car without bumping my head on the top material. I did not get my own Model A until 1937 when a tired $10 1930 Coupe entered my life before I was old enough to legally drive, and I have not been without a Model A since. Oh yes, Dad traded the 1928 "A" in 1933 for a Ford V8. My rides are another 1930 Coupe owned almost 77 years and a 29 Phaeton owned almost 64 years.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
My Dad did not intentionally get me started as a Model A enthusiast, but it worked out that way. On September 27, 1928 he traded his 1926 Model T Sedan for a brand new 1928 Fordor from Provincetown Motor Sales, the Ford dealership in Provincetown, Mass. It's engine number was A417892 and the key numbers were 1038 and 1130. I wonder if that car exists today. Salesman Willis Rich delivered the car to Dad and after a brief conversation left in the traded in Model T. I remember this clearly, recall many many rides in the car, and how as a growing boy I grew tall enough that I could no longer stand up in the car without bumping my head on the top material. I did not get my own Model A until 1937 when a tired $10 1930 Coupe entered my life before I was old enough to legally drive, and I have not been without a Model A since. Oh yes, Dad traded the 1928 "A" in 1933 for a Ford V8. My rides are another 1930 Coupe owned almost 77 years and a 29 Phaeton owned almost 64 years.
Rich, my father used to buy parts from you. I still have some old invoices somewhere.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
Wow, I could have written that letter. My dad would be 100 this year, and in 1960 he paid for my first Model A. I had been lobbying for an old car, and he said that if that's what I wanted, it had to be a Model A. Within a year of me getting mine, he located and bought one like his car when he was courting my mom. Here we are with our respective Fords.

I sure wish I could have a chance to talk to him about cars again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steve and his Ford in MI.jpg (49.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Paul's 1st compilation (72)-cropped.jpg (47.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Dad's cars - big Nash and Ford - cropped.jpg (56.6 KB, 31 views)
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #10
glenn in camino

When I was in The Orange County chapter there was a couple in our club that bought a 1930 coupe new and took it on their honey moon. They had pictures of the trip. I think they gave the car to their son.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote