Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default Why do you own a Model A?

Curious as to what it is about the model A that entices each individual to owning one.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Brobrian

Default Re: Why do you own a Model A?

Family tradition, or just childhood memories of riding in Dad's '28 pickup started me out 30 years ago. But since then it has just become part of who I am. Driving my A's still makes me smile. Never been to a show nor in a club ( much respect for those who do though), just love my A's.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
jrelliott

Friend had 5 Model A's in different states of disassembly. Had told him at one time would like to restore another vehicle as had done a Chevy Corvair multiple times. Friend said he would never get all restored and would I be interested in restoring a Fordor with the condition that it could not be turned into a hotrod. So I purchased the Model A and restored it to original. Still want to do a '65 or '66 Chevy Corvair Corsa Coupe with turbo and 4 speed.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
Jason in TX

All the great tours that the Dallas Club takes around the USA.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
abachman3

A friend had one and invited me to a Model A club meeting. I was hooked... The first one I looked at to purchase was mid-restoration... something I didn't want for my first one.... About a week later the man calls me and says "I put it all together" and he had so I purchased it...1930 Tudor. Drove it a few years and really enjoyed it... but garage space became an issue so I sold it. About a year later I needed another one.. thought I could get along without one.. so purchased another 1930 Tudor. So for ten years now I've been enjoying it. Drive it about 2,000 miles a year.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
wingski

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
A 1931 Ford coupe was the first car I ever owned. It also was the first car that I did major mechanical work on. It was also the first car I ever sold so I could get another Model A. That car taught me so much about how to drive in mud, snow, rain, and ice. It taught me to do things correctly or I would pay for it later. It taught me how much pride there is in fixing something so it works again. That car helped me learn so many things that I needed to know as I got older.

Now I am older, and my current model A is still teaching me patience and how to get things done by myself. The feeling that I get when I open the garage door and see my cabriolet waiting for me is one of the greatest feelings I’ve ever experienced, and it goes on day after day. That’s why I own a model A.

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
CarlG

Beginning at age 14, my first 2 vehicles were Model A's. At age 19, I thought that I had "outgrown" a Model A, upgraded to early '50's Mercurys. I soon missed the Model A's, but it was some 50+ years later that I finally got Model A #3, the one in my avitar.

The other obsession that I had was for a trailer. I had been given my Dad's "red trailer" that he had built out of a '49 Ford pickup. When my sister was liquidating my Dad's estate, she "gave it away". It took me 10 years, but I finally obtained a suitable replacement: a 1936 Mullins Red Cap utility trailer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_3375.jpg (18.0 KB, 35 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
Patrick L.

This comes up every year or so. Being brought up in Studebaker and Ford shops, I have a preference for them, especially Studes.
42 years ago my father insisted we buy this particular 31 A roadster while I was kinda insisting we buy a particular 34 Stude roadster. Guess who won ?
Turns out we should have bought both.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #9
burner31

Always wanted one, but was a die hard '57 Chevy lover (since '75), always riding bikes, Harley's, shovel head.
But then my back blew out and I could only ride 20 miles or so before it started to kill me, so had to give that up after 50+ years of riding, gave my Harley to my son-in-law.
So I went out and got me a '31 Model A, and still have the '57 Chevy.
Should have gotten a Model A 40 years ago, but then again I did not have the garage space until these last few years.
Don't have a pic of my old Harley of this computer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00210.JPG (153.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20170828_102207_resized (2).jpg (66.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20150321_111739.jpg (69.5 KB, 34 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #10
Lona

Had a '30 coupe in high school and sold it when I went to college. More than fifty years later when I was ready to get back into the old car hobby, I considered the Model A too uncomfortable, primitive and dangerous on the road, especially with the yahoo tailgaters who want to go faster than you. So, I ended up buying a '31 Chrysler sedan.

A year later, a neighbor finally decided to sell her '31 roadster after it sat in her garage for 19 years. My girlfriend in high school, now my wife, loved that roadster so I bought it for her. Did a lot of mechanical work on it and we love it. At 76 years old, she still drives it to shows and it is the last car we will ever get rid of when we "age out".

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
ChicagoBob

When I got married in 1989, my wife and I decided that a Model A would be a good investment and good transportation. We lived on the North side of Chicago, where we didn't have to drive every day, and then rarely had to exceed 35 mph. I had owned one years before and knew how easy they were to maintain and how durable. So in 1991 we bought a '30 Tudor, which had been restored in 1970, and it was a great car for us for 20 years, and our only car for about 10 of those years. When we had kids, it was great for carting them and their friends to the beach, and we had fun with bunches of kids in parades.

By 2011, our kids were growing up, and we'd moved to the suburbs, where a car had to be able to maintain 50 mph to keep up with traffic. Our car couldn't do it, even after I took up the bearings. Also, after 20 years the car was beginning to look a little ratty, and we couldn't afford to treat it to the TLC it needed. So, when our oldest daughter turned 16, we finally sold it (after she learned to drive it) - for more than we'd paid in 1991! It helped pay for college, and it gave us a lot of memories (some of which are depicted below).

We hope to have another someday.

Last edited by ChicagoBob; 10-09-2017 at 02:48 PM.
ChicagoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #12
mhsprecher

I wish I could figure out why I first became a Model A guy?

I liked old cars from an early age. I wanted a Model T, but my barber was a Model A guy and he probably influenced me. I was a Ford guy from an early age for no known reason, too. I any event, I bought a 30 Coupe in high school that I never got running and later sold. Forty years later, I wanted another one, so I bought my 30 Town Sedan. I then bought a 28 roadster. They are just great cars. Easy to work on, fun to drive.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #13
Bill Lee/Virginia

When I was a teenager I worked at a service station checking oil, water, airing tires, washing cars, delivered newspapers, sold the Grit, cut grass and raked leaves. Finally saved $100. In those days you could purchase a nice Cabriolet for $100, Roadster for $75 or a good Tudor for $50; however, my Dad in his wisdom would not let me buy the car of my dreams (my nickname growing up was "Wild-Bill"). Then along came the draft, marriage and kids and I had to wait until the kids were educated and long gone from home. Finally after retirement, I was able to purchase the car of my dreams, a 1930 Cabriolet. It has served me well for many years and thousands of miles. Dreams do come true.

Bill Lee
Virginia Peninsula
Bill Lee/Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #14
1928Mik

I have been a car nut since my early days. My Dad always had an A. When I was little he had a 30 coupe, then bought and sold several til he landed a 28 Phaeton. We restored it when I was in my 30's but then he lost interest and put the car on blocks in a climate controlled garage and became very possessive of it. He passed away last Fall, so I got it running last Winter and am now enjoying it once again. I had forgotten how much fun that car was and how easy it is to maintain. Plus, with the 'net available now, I was able to refresh my memory on startup, timing, and general issues that pop up. This site has helped tremendously. Now, being an old fart, I have the garage space to store and work on it. I have willed the car to my son, so it will stay put. Might even buy a closed A one of these days....

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #15
richsfords

Because I can't own more. small garage. Lambo's and the prancing horse are too expensive. No computers to fuss with, it is as American as you can get. God Bless Henry. and the USA.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #16
dumb person

Because modern cars are s**t.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #17
EarlyBert

My brother & his friends are into Model T's and had been tying to convert me from my modern collector cars for years.

I went on several tours with my brother & was starting to think I might be able to drive one. Then I watched as he shifted the Ruxtell on a hill. I thought he was gonna hurt himself moving & throwing all the levers & pedals at the same moment. At that point I kinda decided against a T. It's fun to go on T tours with him & his buds but I gotta stick with the modern technology.

My brother found a nicely restored E28 Tudor that had been sitting for about 7 years. So after selling my 70 Jeep CJ5 to a collector/restorer I picked up the Tudor. So begins my Model A adventure.
EarlyBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #18
Floats

Hi Guys,
I have been a classic car nut since the age of two, according to my Dad. However, never interested in vintage cars. Bought my first classic, a 59 190SL, at the age of 25. Owned various 190SLs, Pagodas, 350/500SLs, MGs, E Types, Porsches, and old aircraft, but still no vintage 'crap'
A year or so before retirement, a 28 RPU crossed my path and(excusse the expression) I was in LUST. A year into retirement, a 29 Chevy Phaeton crossed my path and we couldn't resist.
The little Roadster Pickup and the Chevy are now our daily drivers and we just loooove the privilege of owning two very special cars.
Regards
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4117.jpg (98.6 KB, 36 views)
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #19
ModelAMike1930

I wanted one ever since I was a kid. I searched for years to find a 1930 coupe in good shape. I found one and bought it on the spot. I also wanted a 1930 pickup which I found online . My Son and 3 Grandsons drove 150 miles downstate to purchase it. We had a blast.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #20
todd3131

I was born in to it my father had restored two before I was born. I was addicted from inception and the worse part is the Betty Ford center doesn't have a program that has been successful at combating it. I think I'm all better and the next thing I know it I'm at some swap meet before dawn in the cold air buying parts for a model a project that I don't even have!

A terrible disease this is.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote