Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
ronn

Default A783

There is a cali registration on ebay with this low serial number. Thought it was cool to see one so low. I put a bid in, but someone has bested me. Was only buying it for the novelty!

Any number under 1000 is amazing.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: A783

Most/Many of the NY certificates that you see listed are fakes. That number on that particular registration would be believable if it had first sold in December or January, but a brand new model year car not selling until June would make me suspicious.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
ronn

Brent, that is from California-not a fake.

I have hundreds from NY and they arent fakes, not that there arent some.

NY was very liberal with trusting people in the day, to write up their own registrations.

who knows why it is from June? Maybe coupes werent as popular in Cali as roadsters and pheatons
Old 12-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Brent, that is from California-not a fake.

I have hundreds from NY and they arent fakes, not that there arent some.

NY was very liberal with trusting people in the day, to write up their own registrations.

who knows why it is from June? Maybe coupes werent as popular in Cali as roadsters and pheatons
Could it have come from a state that never had registrations? Maybe the owners bought the new car and drove to California to setup life thus a June registration.

Or yes it could have been a tough car to sell.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
Keith True

I can see other make cars having some hard sell vehicles,but at that time there was no such thing as a hard to sell A.My father and uncle were painting the inside of the Rambler dealership here,and there was a new 69 S/C Rambler in the showroom.It was 1971 and NOBODY wanted that car around here then.My uncle bought it because he got it cheap,and I later got it.It was titled as a 1971,the state issued the title for the year it was sold new.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #6
Ron in Quincy

You need to see a Picture of the engine, driver side, to see if the engine number pad is just above the water inlet and not on a pad just below the head. There is also a lot of very early items that would be on a "A" with this low of a number, such as head light lens with "script" at top, light switch, horn rod, tail light, speedometer , etc. . Remember, when the engine was set in the chassis the frame was stamped with the engine number, this feature is very important as it helps to determine if the engine has been changed.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #7
ronn

Hey Ron,
think you missed my opening thought. No vehicle. A registration for sale on ebay.........................................
Old 12-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
JDupuis

Ronn, how much did it sell for? I just searched ebay and could not find it.
Just curious. Thanks. Jeff
Old 12-13-2017, 07:10 PM   #9
ronn

here it is JD- still going........................

1932 CALIFORNIA MOTOR VEHICLE AUTO CAR LICENSE 1928 Ford Coupe REGISTRATION ( 202143721884 )
Old 12-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #10
Frank Miller

I am not sure how it worked back in 1928 but is it possible the dealer used this car before selling it? It is common now for a demonstrator vehicle to be sold month after it was made.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:29 PM   #11
daveymc29

Probably sold by Raleigh Leech Ford to Mr. Mc Kay. Could it have been that the dealer held the title until the vehicle was paid for, back in the day? Or as Frank Miller says, perhaps a demo. Mr. Leech used to have a 1903, curved dash Ford that he brought to the Sequoia Country Club where I sometimes caddied. Beautiful car, red and looked to me just like the 03 Cadillac. The Raleigh Leech dealership was just past 82nd ave on what was then East 14th Street in Oakland. Now that it is a sanctuary city the street name is International Blvd.

Last edited by daveymc29; 12-13-2017 at 10:33 PM. Reason: ad a line
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:37 PM   #12
JDupuis

Interesting! Thanks Ronn.
Jeff
Old 12-13-2017, 11:09 PM   #13
Brian SATX

It is the 1932 Registration, not a title.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:22 AM   #14
ronn

Probably sold by Raleigh Leech Ford to Mr. Mc Kay. Could it have been that the dealer held the title until the vehicle was paid for, back in the day? Or as Frank Miller says, perhaps a demo. Mr. Leech used to have a 1903, curved dash Ford that he brought to the Sequoia Country Club where I sometimes caddied. Beautiful car, red and looked to me just like the 03 Cadillac. The Raleigh Leech dealership was just past 82nd ave on what was then East 14th Street in Oakland. Now that it is a sanctuary city the street name is International Blvd.

Both the Ford model A in 1903 and the 03 Cadillac, had the same body builders. So yes, they look nearly identical.

Yes Brian, it is a registration and not a title. Just an interesting piece of history.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #15
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Sanctuary? you mean shooting gallery,used to work for Gallagher and Burke,they owned the quarry on the hill..road calls in Oakland were always an adventure..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:20 PM   #16
SeaSlugs

Or someone could have missed a digit - happens from time to time in current times with IL registrations...
Old 12-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #17
Ron in Quincy

If a person purchased a new car in California and financed it thru a bank, the bank was the lien holder and held the owner certificate until the loan was paid off.

Back in the 1950's I bought a 1929 Standard Coupe from a man who lived on 10th Avenue off Stockton Blvd., he had bought the "A" new in 1929, financed it thru B of A, paid off the loan in 1931 so the first owner certificate he had was dated in 1931; this was the certificate he signed off and gave to me.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote