Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2019, 10:10 AM   #21
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: 1934 v8

An original 34 oil pump does not have a pressure relief - like the later 49-53 units. The pressure relief is at the front of the block - there is a spring and a plunger that controls the pressure. I don't believe that any oil pumps had their own pressure relief until 1949 - but I can't claim to have owned all the years! LOL

His situation does seem like a LOT of oil - which makes me think that something is wrong with the assembly of the engine (gaskets, pan fitment, etc??).

One test I would do is to just run the engine in neutral (in your driveway) at a higher RPM - say 2000 . . . if oil pressure/volume is causing oil to run past the rear slinger - it should do it "in the driveway", just like going down the road.

Now if it doesn't happen in the driveway - but happens on the road, then I'm more inclined to think that there is a gasket or other problem that allows "sloshing oil" to escape (different situation than sitting in the driveway).

Just some ideas for your troubleshooting . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #22
Andy

Is it converted to a full flow filter. Did it ever have one. The oil to the rear main does not go thru the regular oil line. It is a separate feed. If the main line is blocked by a plug for a full flow fiter, The rear main will get all the oil.
The pipe plugs in the main oil line may be in too deep. If the one by the oil pump idler gear is put in too deep it will block the line some or completely.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #23
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
An original 34 oil pump does not have a pressure relief - like the later 49-53 units. The pressure relief is at the front of the block - there is a spring and a plunger that controls the pressure. I don't believe that any oil pumps had their own pressure relief until 1949 - but I can't claim to have owned all the years! LOL

His situation does seem like a LOT of oil - which makes me think that something is wrong with the assembly of the engine (gaskets, pan fitment, etc??).

One test I would do is to just run the engine in neutral (in your driveway) at a higher RPM - say 2000 . . . if oil pressure/volume is causing oil to run past the rear slinger - it should do it "in the driveway", just like going down the road.

Now if it doesn't happen in the driveway - but happens on the road, then I'm more inclined to think that there is a gasket or other problem that allows "sloshing oil" to escape (different situation than sitting in the driveway).

Just some ideas for your troubleshooting . . .
Right. I was assuming he put in a high volume pump in during the rebuild. I could be confusing it with comments made by other posters.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:36 PM   #24
JOHN ROWLAND

Thats what i think 80lb pump on a 30 lb system. got pan off going to pull pump, Thanks
JOHN ROWLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #25
JOHN ROWLAND

all gaskets ok no oil at idal or at 1000 to 2 rpm only at 2500 t0 3000 the oil releaf is a hole 1/8 or so to releave oil that it can not hole back. with a 80 lb pump it can not handel it. stock 30lb oil presure
JOHN ROWLAND is offline   Reply With Quote