Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2015, 09:07 PM   #1
farmboy

Default Saving a family treasure...(1936 1and1/2 ton)

I'm new to the forum, and excited to find this, as I see there's a wealth of knowledge on here that I may need at times, and also some may enjoy my sharing of the story and full restoration of this old truck.

This truck was purchased by my Great Grandfather in 1936 and was used on his farm for hauling grain, cotton, cotton choppers, and cotton picking crews on his farm. He used it for years until he passed away in the mid 60's. His son, (my grandfathers brother) wound up with the truck and used it as well. Sometime in the 70's it was parked in a barn where it sat for a couple decades. When he passed away suddenly in the 80's his son had the truck, and eventually it got put in a fence row. The truck meant a lot to my grandfather as he was 14 years old when the truck originally came to the farm. He asked our cousin if he's let us restore the old truck, but it could still be his, he just wanted to see it preserved, he actually afforded to shed it for him as well. He said he would think about it, but wanted to restore it himself. Well about 10 years went by after than, and I got a call from my cousin as she had heard I was interested in the old truck. She said it weighed heavy on her heart, that this old truck of her Grandfathers was waisting away. So we made a deal, and after not seeing the truck for myself in several years, I bought it basically sight unseen...lol But my Grandfather who has now passed, wanted his dad's old truck fixed up so, that I feel obiligated to do what he always wanted.

When I arrived to get the truck, this is what I saw, it was overgrown in vines and brush, but somehow in incredibly decent shape. We loaded the truck and now have it home. I had some time to work a bit on it today, I soaked the pistons, but curiosity got the best of me as I wanted to let it soak, I gently turned engine at the pully, and in amazement, the engine turned freely, not seized in the least, it did appear some valves might be stuck, but I plan to pull the engine and fully overhaul. I plan on fully restoring this beauty with my dad! Any help along the way from you guys would be so much appreciated!

If you look close on the door panel, you can still see my Great grandfathers name on the side! I have to say I got a bit emotional when I saw that. I'm excited to own and restore a piece of family and American history!

Thanks...Bret
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote