Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2019, 01:49 PM   #21
Ruth

Default Re: So here's my question......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Sorry Ruth , No harm meant . I'm not familiar with the meaning of Hecho .
No problem. Seems every item is marked either Hecho en Mexico or 中国制造 (Made in China) around here these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
The Chinese do make a lot of good stuff, especially in Taiwan, unfortunately a lot of the stuff that comes to North America is not so good.
This is true. My brother worked for airline industry back in the '80s. He said their big Numerical Control Machines use for making parts were from China. Which leads me to believe there is no reason the Chinese can not make "good stuff'. Remember when 'Made in Japan' was a terrible thing.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #22
slammin

China is capable of making quality parts. The problems are caused by the ordering US companies not staying on top of the quality control. All that aside, I try to buy US made stuff when I can. But it gets more difficult every year!
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #23
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin View Post
China is capable of making quality parts. The problems are caused by the ordering US companies not staying on top of the quality control. All that aside, I try to buy US made stuff when I can. But it gets more difficult every year!
I don't understand why so many of you think "Made in USA" is a good thing. Plenty of the stuff we get from the US is crap. Likewise from China. Both produce some good stuff too so as far as I can see, there is no difference.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:02 PM   #24
30 Closed Cab PU

The company I worked for started sourcing parts from China, and gave them Minimum, nominal, and maximum specs. In the US our suppliers always shot for the nominal spec. The company starting having all kinds of problems, ends up all the China parts were made cheaper, but only met the minimum specs. When parts were combined together, they did not work properly. Of course the company then had to change the specs, and the company had to pay for the additional cost of better quality and material, and China charged us to make the changes since all the raw materials were bought in massive quantities to drive costs down.

Once that was straightened out things settled down for while, then issues started again. Took a year, but finally found out that China had substituted "equivalent" parts/materials without notifying us. Lots of finger pointing, but the company had to absorb the costs of the issue, rectifying the issue, and costs of discovering the root cause of the issue.

As the saying goes "you get what you pay for"
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:30 PM   #25
100IH

I wonder if the Buicks built in China have 3.8 L engines I suspect not.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #26
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
The company I worked for started sourcing parts from China, and gave them Minimum, nominal, and maximum specs. In the US our suppliers always shot for the nominal spec. The company starting having all kinds of problems, ends up all the China parts were made cheaper, but only met the minimum specs. When parts were combined together, they did not work properly. Of course the company then had to change the specs, and the company had to pay for the additional cost of better quality and material, and China charged us to make the changes since all the raw materials were bought in massive quantities to drive costs down.

Once that was straightened out things settled down for while, then issues started again. Took a year, but finally found out that China had substituted "equivalent" parts/materials without notifying us. Lots of finger pointing, but the company had to absorb the costs of the issue, rectifying the issue, and costs of discovering the root cause of the issue.

As the saying goes "you get what you pay for"
That is a very common practice over there. All of the people I know who deal with the Chinese say they don't trust them and have to verify and check everything. Every follow up order is thoroughly checked for materials and tolerances before it is accepted. For most of them, if it fails, the clause in the contract requiring them to take everything back and refund is activated but even then, they don't like abiding by it.
Some of you will be aware of the hassles we face over here over imorting a vehicle now because of the Government clampdown on asbestos. That came about because the Chinese blatantly LIED on their declarations and brought in car with asbestos in them. B@$^ards!
Old 03-07-2019, 08:53 PM   #27
Smooth_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphooch View Post
thanks again however they are made in Tiwan, not Ohio as you thought. Iordered it from him and explained my concerns, 15min. he called me back saying they are made overseas. I bought it anyway as he was honest and its close but its not China.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Interesting, and this is certainly news to me, as I've only known them to be made in Ohio. I hope if they are made in China, it wasn't simply a cost cutting measure, as China isn't known for quality goods.
I didn’t know this either.
As Steve explained to me on the phone when I called him, he said they were made in Ohio and he’s been to the very facility and seen them made.
My apologies for the bad intell if I was mistaken.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #28
old31

I bought a 2 blade aluminum fan from Snyders for my 31 roadster and it was a high quality item.

I have no clue where it was made, nor do I care. Hi quality is high quality.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote