Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #1
Model A Fan

Default Engine Installation-Complete Engine plus Transmission

I'm trying to install an engine and had a difficult time removing it from the vehicle. The splined shaft that goes from the rear axle to the back of the transmission was difficult to say thr least. I'm wondering how to get it to go back together easily.

Does anybody have advice for the reinstallation of a motor? Should I separate the transmission from the engine and install it in separate chunks?

Thanks!
Model A Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Engine Installation-Complete Engine plus Transmission

I'v done that and it can be difficult. Easier if you can see around corners!
As the male and female splines came together, I put the gearbox in 2 gears at once to stop the universal joint turning (the top is already off it) and kept a little pressure on them. I aligned them as best I could and turned one back wheel (previously jacked just clear of the ground). That rotates the shaft till the splines are aligned and they come together. When they finally engage, they slip together quickly so DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGERS IN THERE!
Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Fan View Post
I'm trying to install an engine and had a difficult time removing it from the vehicle. The splined shaft that goes from the rear axle to the back of the transmission was difficult to say thr least. I'm wondering how to get it to go back together easily.

Does anybody have advice for the reinstallation of a motor? Should I separate the transmission from the engine and install it in separate chunks?

Thanks!
Do you have the FRONT of the car off, i.e.- radiator/shroud/headlights ? Floor boards out ? Transmission shifter rod off ?
If so, yes you can do it. If no, it will be difficult , to impossible , if you have not done such (trans/engine at once) before. In other words, begin with the stuff mentioned out of the way. Then job much easier. Also, much easier if you have a helper. The helper needs only to know how to follow your instruction. The main instruction will be to move the rear wheel , which will allow splines to mate easier than you would by yourself. I've done it both ways and with the rear end/wheels lose and sitting on floor.
Patience and caution are virtues here in this job ! Have rear wheels off floor and use safety equipment to ensure your safety. Good luck
Caveat: if you get in a bind...stop and ask more questions, eh !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:01 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If the body is mounted, then I prefer to install the tranny first, then the engine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote