Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #1
Walt Ebie

Default Model A Coupe - Downsizing

Time to think about downsizing which will mean saying goodbye to our '30 coupe. My question is where is a good place to an idea of what A coupes in excellent condition are selling for? Or at least what people are asking for them - knowing that what people ask for and what they sell for are two different things. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C-26 1930 MODEL A SPORT COUPE 9-18-2014 #2.jpg (94.2 KB, 202 views)
Walt Ebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
JDupuis

Default Re: Model A Coupe - Downsizing

Check hagerty.com
Jeff
Old 01-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
ronn

ebay will give you the best current stats- be sure to check out the sold listings and not what people are asking.................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
Mike Peters

There's more buyers for 4 figure cars then 5 figure cars like yours. I'll take a wild guess at 15k on your coupe. You can always come down. I sold our 28 roadster through Volo on commission a couple years ago and got good money. But you live along way from Volo, Illinois. Try an ad on Ford Barn? Good luck.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Ebie View Post
Time to think about downsizing which will mean saying goodbye to our '30 coupe. My question is where is a good place to an idea of what A coupes in excellent condition are selling for? Or at least what people are asking for them - knowing that what people ask for and what they sell for are two different things. Any suggestions would be helpful.
www.mafca.com classified section
Old 01-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
160B

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Here is a link to the vehicles for sale at the MAFCA web site, and the MARC web site. And you are correct there is an asking price and a sold price!!

http://mafca.com/cl/cl-v-sale.html

http://model-a-ford.org/category/cla...cars-for-sale/

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
WHN

We have had really good luck using just Hemmings.

I agree with the $15,000.00 price. Without more pictures and info on what maintenance items have been done. It could be a good starting point.

My experience has been that there is a “strong” market for original, well maintained, sound cars. Post many pictures, and tell people what has been done to the car. Also any history on car that you know. If professionally maintained, give names and what they did.

Good luck. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #8
holdover

As long as you are in no rush to sell it you will get a fair price for a fine vehicle. Spring is not to far away and people will be looking for new driving toys. Think about the selling points of your vehicle and what would have to be spent to duplicate it, both in parts and labor if someone bought one that needed it restored. I don't sell many vehicles,(which is a problem according to my wife) but when I do I explain to the perspective buyer what they are getting, and the value of the purchase. The quoted 15K might be a fair price, but it might be worth more to the right person. Drive it around with a for sale sign on it, go to some car shows cruise ins etc. Craig's List has always worked good for me. Good luck, looks like a nice ride.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #9
slammin

Motivation to sell is a big factor. I think you will find that Craigslist attracts bargain hunters (like me). The MAFCA classifieds might bring the best price. With many upper teens and mid 20s listings a clean A at $15K will look like a bargain! Even thought I bought my 29 in late September, I still follow the ads. There are MANY cars still for sale that were offered in May.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #10
old31

I have had very good luck with classiccars.com.

https://classiccars.com/sell-my-car
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #11
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin View Post
Motivation to sell is a big factor. I think you will find that Craigslist attracts bargain hunters (like me). The MAFCA classifieds might bring the best price. With many upper teens and mid 20s listings a clean A at $15K will look like a bargain! Even thought I bought my 29 in late September, I still follow the ads. There are MANY cars still for sale that were offered in May.
Those are very good points. I bought my car off the MAFCA site. I paid more than I would have if I had done more shopping, but my criteria was important to me.

I wanted to be able to inspect the car personally, and I wanted a car that was well maintained, clean and garaged. I wanted to be able to drive it right away without having to put a lot of money into it, because I already had a project car to tinker with.

I was impressed that the owner had owned it for 20 years and had driven it locally and had a mechanic who helped maintain the car. He also asked me if I had a garage to store the car in.

If you are patient you will get a good price for the car. I negotiated a lower price than his asking price but I didn't low ball him because the car fit my criteria.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:29 AM   #12
3.6rs

I can't say it enough ; something is worth what a fool wants to give for it !
Even if that something is worth 5K and you are asking 15K (because that's the amount you spent on it) - there will be someone somewhere that will buy it. All depends on how fast you want to sell it - tomorrow, next month or in 5 years...
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #13
History

I sold a John Deere tractor last year on Tractor House. I'm the type who asks the exact price I want for something as I'm not used to doing the price dance. Fellow from Dallas calls and we talk a little and he says he'll take it. Calls a couple of days later and says his mom had a stroke and he can't make it and for me not to hold it, just sell it. I'm a little disappointed as I thought sale was made. It sat for three more weeks and my free trial run was over. I gave it some thought and actually raised the price and it sold for more than I wanted. .

It was still a good deal for the buyer as it was practically new (100 hours).

The hardest part for me was I was completely honest about everything on the tractor and was still treated as suspect by everyone. If you are a liar to sale something youre a POS anyway.

I would post many many photos and describe everything exactly. Good people appreciate good people and knowing you can trust someone is worth a lot.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #14
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
... I'm a little disappointed as I thought sale was made...
I learned this many years ago ; a sale is made when you have cash in your hands.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote