Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
dirt t

Default How to remove rivits

I am terrible at the search function and would like your help.
I am replacing a floor brace and the panel that the rear cab mounts to the frame. I am searching for how to remove rivets without damaging the panels.
It is a 1930 CCPU.
Thank you for your time and help.
Terry aka dirt t
dirt t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
Ernie Vitucci

Default Re: How to remove rivits

Hi Terry...I normally drill them out. A good sharp bit and some engine oil to keep the bit cool...Ernie
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
Big hammer

Remove the head of the rivet by grinding, or by drilling with a larger bit than the rivet shank. The rivet shank will then need to be driven out. If it not move easily then you will need to carefully drill it out, Don’t enlarge the base metal hole or you will need a larger diameter replacement rivet. Take you time don’t get in a hurry. Back up the base metal if you try to knock the rivet shank out with a Big Hammer!
Old 05-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
CHuDWah

Be aware that rivets sometimes expand between the two pieces. So you may need to get one piece loose using the above methods, then get the rivet remains out of the second piece. There are special tools made for rivet removal but I've never used one.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
wrndln

I have seen and had to repair a lot of damage cause by grinding the heads off or rivets. It seems like people get carried away with a grinder and damage the sheetmetal. I have removed a lot of panels that were riveted in place. If you do use a grinder, just flatten a small area on the top of the rivet. This allows you to easily use a punch to make a center mark for the drill bit that is slightly smaller than the rivet. Usually 3/16" rivets can be drilled out with a 5/32" drill and not enlarge the hole in the sheetmetal. Most times I don't drill all the way through so I can use a punch to knock out the rivet. Doing the rivet removals gains you experience in removing the rivets and gets easier to do.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:04 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I have seen and had to repair a lot of damage cause by grinding the heads off or rivets. It seems like people get carried away with a grinder and damage the sheetmetal. I have removed a lot of panels that were riveted in place. If you do use a grinder, just flatten a small area on the top of the rivet. This allows you to easily use a punch to make a center mark for the drill bit that is slightly smaller than the rivet. Usually 3/16" rivets can be drilled out with a 5/32" drill and not enlarge the hole in the sheetmetal. Most times I don't drill all the way through so I can use a punch to knock out the rivet. Doing the rivet removals gains you experience in removing the rivets and gets easier to do.
Rusty Nelson

I have followed these instructions in the past with 100% good results. The same basic steps of drilling a slightly smaller hole then the rivet dia. and almost the whole way through and then using a punch of even a smaller diameter then the drill bit will work for any rivet in the A.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #7
wrndln

Mike V,
Thanks for confirming the way I remove rivets. I have found that this method works quite well. I am sure there are other methods that work OK, but this method is pretty easy to do and gives good results. Now for reriveting the panels back in place. I have posted a couple messages showing the way I install body rivets by myself (my wife wont help anymore). I posted the way I install body rivet in the following link:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ighlight=rivet

Rusty Nelson
Old 05-29-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
dirt t

I have the panel loose from the rivets but it appears to be spot welded across the back underside of the cab. Did Ford use spot welds on a's?
Thank you, You guys have been great.
Terry aka dirt t
dirt t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:11 PM   #9
wrndln

Yes, Ford did spot weld and rivet panels in place, why I have no idea.

Rusty Nelson