Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
dgkipp

Default Chevy water pump on flathead

I have been told that a chevy 348-409 water pump could be made to work on a ford flathead engine.Because of clearance problems it would be good move to try it. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for your help.
dgkipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
scooder

Default Re: Chevy water pump on flathead

What clearance issue you got?
I've seen this done, not for a while now though. It looks nasty, one of the flathead signatures is the two water pumps. These are also the engine mounts on a majority of flathead applications.
You'll need adaptors between the ch##?y water pump and the block both sides to also cover the original pump holes, and sort out engine mounts.
This is my opinion, there IS a way to make it work with flathead pumps, find it. That big nasty 409 pump, is gonna look like a big nasty 409 pump, I'm sure it ain't gonna make the engine shorter, more likely longer than stock. Like I said, what clearance issue you got?
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
Bob C

Here you go, it aint cheap. http://cornhuskerrodandcustom.net/Pages/Parts.aspx#

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #4
36tbird

I had this set up on my '36 pickup for a while. It worked OK, but it placed the fan very low on the radiator and I had to use a smaller diameter fan to clear the lower outlets. That engine is an 8BA and I decided to go back to a stock set up with a big fan that is nicely centered on the radiator.

I am keeping the 348/409 setup for if and when I build a little modified type T-bucket roadster with a cut down grille shell. I think that setup would be well suited for that type of low slung hot rod.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
Krylon32

I have marketed this system for 20 + years. Sold 100's. They worked quite well and thru the years I never had any comebacks. Mine used aluminum adapter plates on the front of the engine that included the motor mounts which placed the engine in the stock position. I also used a custom lower crank hub which enabled me to furnish stock short pump Chevy pulleys. Also came with an alternator mount or optional air/alt mount. In the beginning I furnished a rebuilt pump but later was able to supply a new pump. I did a few with the truck pump which raised the fan about 5 inches. I'm no longer doing the kit as the cost of producing the parts has risen to a level where I can't be competitive. I think there is still a picture or two of the unit on my website. www.cornhuskerrodandcustom.net
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:40 PM   #6
mjcarraher

I had the setup on my for 59 AB block with 3-2's in my 38 Ford sedan (highly modified). Later I put in the Cornhusker's blower setup complete with 409 Chevy waterpump--also good system, but because of mods I don't know about clearance. Now I have an extra water pump set up (with alternator and AC compressor) and 3 Stromberg 97's with Offy manifold that I want to sell--probably for $1500.
mjcarraher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #7
Ol' Ron

We ran this back in the 60's on the stock car to help cooling the engine. It was a simple mod, just weld a chunk od alum on a plate and your in business ( might have to measure a few things), and it worked. But the engine still got hot.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #8
deuce_roadster

Seems like a lot of unnecessary work with little or no benefit, to me.
deuce_roadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

A friend has a GM water pump on two of his cars. He claims better cooling with this mod. I don't see any huge benefit in going this way, plus it looks a bit strange to me.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #10
tubman

Coming from a guy who likes to discuss finned aluminum heads, different carburetors and ignitions, and Fenton headers, this is starting to get a little too much off-topic for this forum.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote