Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
700rpm

Question RH brake light mounting template

Does anyone have or know where I can get a template for a RH fender-mounted tail light bracket?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Colorado Greg

Default Re: RH brake light mounting template

I just took off the left light and matched alll dimensions on the right fender. Measured three times from all locations, held up the light to make sure it was right. Then I almost cried as the drill went through that perfect fender. Better safe than sorry I guess, lord knows i've sorry too many times lol

I also had to "adjust" the bracket to make it fit the fender. If we could just get some those RHD brakets as cheap as the parts house sells them for!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
700rpm

Thanks Greg. I'm trying to avoid taking the LH bracket off. And I know what you mean about drilling a hole in the fender!

Old 03-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Richard Lorenz

Before drilling, you might be able to hold the bracket in place with strong magnets and give it a good visual check.
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

might not help that much but if you find an old fender do a sketching and reverse it for the new fender!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
TinCup

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If i was to tackle this I would remove the drivers side and then using poster board make a template using the bottom of the fender and then marking the holes in the board. I would then transfer the template to the right side and measure from the bottom for accuracy. The bottom of the fender is really your only point of reference.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
dumb person

Fender? i thought they bolted to the back of the body? Which years? maybe i am thinking of something else?
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
Fender? i thought they bolted to the back of the body? Which years? maybe i am thinking of something else?
!928 and early 29 were bolted to the body.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:38 AM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Ray,

The important dimension for mounting a right hand tail light, on a right hand fender, is "not" to try to match the height from level ground to where the two (2)brackets are bolted to the fender with three(3) bolts.

Because of a possilility of a different angle on the new right fender bracket, or a different angle on a possible different right rear fender angle, the important dimension to match for a new right hand tail light is measured from the level ground to the tops of both actual tail lights.

After the new right hand tail light is installed, ones eyes will not focus on the heights of the three (3) light bracket mounting bolts; but will focus on the level height of the tops of the two actual lights -- with one's eyes even more focus on same when the two tail lights are lit in the dark at night.

Magnets suggested above, or a helper holding the new right bracket tightly against the right fender will insure that the measurement to the top of the new right tail light will match the height of the left tail light.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #10
JohnTee

An excellent tip R.H. Chauvin.
From experience, I mounted a RH tail light (reproduction) after carefully measuring and duplicating the mounting hole positions from the LH tail light.

After drilling the fender and installing the RH light it was apparent that the light itself was actually lower than the light on the LH fender.

The cause was found to be that the distance from the mounting surface on the fender to the mounting surface on the light unit was shorter on the reproduction bracket. (the angle also may have been different.)
JohnTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
700rpm

H.L., that is exactly my concern, and those are good suggestions. Thank you.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #12
Phil Wilson

Measuring the top of the left rear TL, to the floor, then transferring that to the right side, as H.L. Chauvin has mentioned has a possible problem. What about the "A" drivers "Droop" that almost always happens to these vehicles. Stand back, from the rear of the car, and note the 5-15 degree drop, in the left fender compared to the right. Don't say that's not an issue, cause it is if you have only ONE CHANCE to get the mounting holes in the right place. Measuring from the bottom of the FENDER seems the logic procedure, as well as from the body/fender crease inline with the 2 bottom mounting holes. Using a plumb line, straight edge and carpenters square, you could ensure the bottom mounting bolts are parallel to the floor or not. Then there's the repro right hand cup (30-31) bracket itself. You may need to bend the flange a bit to make it lie flat to the fender. Then use sticky tape/magnets to hold the bracket, with the tail light installed, to visually see if it lines up to the left one. I'd like to see Les Andrews add this project to his next edition of the Green Book. Nuff Said!
Phil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:28 PM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Ray,

If as mentioned in Reply No. 12; i.e.,

"Measuring the top of the left rear TL, to the floor, then transferring that to the right side, as H.L. Chauvin has mentioned has a possible problem. What about the "A" drivers "Droop" that almost always happens to these vehicles."

Then guess what are just a few other possible problems:

1. One Model A rear fender is original & later re-arched and repaired; and the other rear fender is a newly bought rear fender; and/or,

2. If a Model A was restored level, and when this Model A owner is driving at night, (where one will always notice heights of both tail lights while "On"), his Model A stays tilted a lot because of his 379 pound passenger wife eating potato chips.

Most will agree that "anything" is possible; however, I have had my 1930 coupe for 60 years and it is still level; I installed a right hand tail light on my 1930 Town Sedan 10 years ago as described, (when it was level after 77 years), and it is still level after 87 years ...... but then again, my wife and I never over-eat ..... mainly because we are most concerned about our Model A tail lights staying level !!!!!

Just please think prior to installing a right hand tail light ..... when "ON" at night ..... others in the rear will always notice the heights of these two (2) "illuminated" lights.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 09-01-2017 at 10:36 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #14
700rpm

Well, five years later and I still haven't done this, but I have a new idea, and if I get it worked out this fall I'll post a photo.