Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #1
KenBolton

Default Intake Manifold Weep

I notice a minor coolant leak around the back half of the intake manifold on the passenger side. I torqued the bolts down, cleaned and dried the area but still have weeping. Is my assumption correct that leakage is also occurring inside the manifold and that the gasket needs to be replaced? It seems to be an aluminum manifold. Either way should the trueness be checked?
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:56 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Intake Manifold Weep

To my knowledge there are not any water passages in the intake manifold.
Probably weeping from another source, like the head gasket or head.
( and hopefully not a cracked block or head )

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 01-29-2021 at 12:06 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:15 PM   #3
29A

There are no water passages in the intake. I would check where the upper hoses go on if it's center outlet or the water necks if it's the 49 or later front style outlet.
29A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:28 PM   #4
42merc

Check the heater hose connections.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:40 AM   #5
51woodie

Ken. You don't mention what engine you have, but as above, there are no water passages into the intake manifold. On my '46 Coupe 59AB, there are five places where a coolant leak could develop, in the area you described. They are; the rad hose to head connection, heater coolant shutoff valve to head, valve stem packing on the shutoff valve, heater hose to valve connection, and temperature sender to cylinder head. To me, a coolant leak is like an oil leak, in that it doesn't take much to look like a lot of leakage. Also, keep in mind that airflow from the fan can spread fluids around, making it look like the leak is somewhere where it isn't. As you will see in the picture, I used pipe sealant for the valve, but not for the temp sender, as old wisdom says that a sealant could cause a poor connection from sender to ground, giving improper temp readings. On my heater valve there is "string" packing for the stem, and it is adjustable by tightening the fitting on top of the valve housing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2542.jpg (47.7 KB, 38 views)
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:55 AM   #6
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51woodie View Post
Ken. You don't mention what engine you have, but as above, there are no water passages into the intake manifold. On my '46 Coupe 59AB, there are five places where a coolant leak could develop, in the area you described. They are; the rad hose to head connection, heater coolant shutoff valve to head, valve stem packing on the shutoff valve, heater hose to valve connection, and temperature sender to cylinder head. To me, a coolant leak is like an oil leak, in that it doesn't take much to look like a lot of leakage. Also, keep in mind that airflow from the fan can spread fluids around, making it look like the leak is somewhere where it isn't. As you will see in the picture, I used pipe sealant for the valve, but not for the temp sender, as old wisdom says that a sealant could cause a poor connection from sender to ground, giving improper temp readings. On my heater valve there is "string" packing for the stem, and it is adjustable by tightening the fitting on top of the valve housing.
And what about #6, The head gasket ?
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:50 AM   #7
51woodie

That was already mentioned by 51 Merc.
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:01 AM   #8
KenBolton

Thanks all for the input! I’m not yet certain but I think it may be a very slight leak at the bottom of the right hand upper coolant hose. It is hard to see at the back of the hose but I was able to pick ever so little moisture from there on my finger. Yesterday a friend drew to my attention the 3 degree slope of the engine from front to back although the intake manifold if flat. So anything leaking from the hose will run back along the intake. I have a paper towel stuffed in there now so I should know today If this is the culprit. Seems like it is exceptionally easy to pucker the lower connections of these upper radiator hoses with very little clamp tension. I’m certain that running it up to operating temp will likely seal it but I can’t do it in my winter storage.
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:18 PM   #9
Holeshot

Tighten down the hose clamps first. If that doesn't do it, probably a head gasket or cracked block. Don't sweat it though. Throw a bottle of Bar's Leak in it and run it.