Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
MrWzrd
BANNED

Default Radiator - buy or rebuild?

If you had your choice of buying a 1928 radiator or having a total rebuild of the original done....which would you choose?

The car is and will remain stock.

I own the original. It has a compromised overflow tube but functions fine. The rebuilder is well know in custom and rebuilts and I have known him for 10+ years.

Last edited by MrWzrd; 10-16-2013 at 06:44 PM.
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
MrWzrd
BANNED

Default Re: Radiator - buy or rebuild?

That was kinda dumb of me. I left an entire paragraph out. I'll try to edit original post but just in case:

I own the original. It has a compromised overflow tube but functions fine. The rebuilder is well know in custom and rebuilts and I have known him for 10+ years.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Tom F OHIO

I had my radiator recored. They reused the top and the bottom which was in very good shape. After I got it back and the radiator mounted right back in my car with no problems. I put a radiator in for my father in law years ago from a vendor and had one heck of a time installing it.
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
glenn in camino

I bought a round tube core years ago from Bergs and plan to have it installed in my old frame and tanks.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
TinCup

The first time I picked up an original radiator I knew why my aftermarket wouldn't cool my car. The weight difference was amazing. If you have the opportunity to put an original in your car that is the way I would go.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
MrWzrd
BANNED

Looks like I'll be having the original rebuilt. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Rebuilt by someone that has done A's is the way to go. Bring them the shroud to be sure it fits.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Mike

Mrwzrd,
In my opinion BERGS RADIATORS, are very good, I just purchased a 30/31 radiator from Bergs at the Hershey show, and the install was very easy and fit perfect.

mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
sethkestenbaum

I struggled with the same dilemma. I have a 1929 funnel neck radiator that has some clogged tubes and needs to be rodded out. Ultimately (and after a few shops told me "too old for us to rod out" or "we don't rod out anymore"), I purchased a Bergs replacement which mechanically seems very good.

I do plan to eventually have the original radiator redone, but figured that it was most important to keep the car cool and get it back on the road.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethkestenbaum View Post
I struggled with the same dilemma. I have a 1929 funnel neck radiator that has some clogged tubes and needs to be rodded out. Ultimately (and after a few shops told me "too old for us to rod out" or "we don't rod out anymore"), I purchased a Bergs replacement which mechanically seems very good.

I do plan to eventually have the original radiator redone, but figured that it was most important to keep the car cool and get it back on the road.
I would connect a sump pump to the bottom pipe to backflush the radiator. It opened up my original radiator nicely. Mine was mainly plugged by rust flakes. If you have hard water deposits the sump pump may not do it, but you could still try vinegar to disolve the deposits.

I thought I'd have to unsolder my bottom tank, then gently twist a long thin drill bit up each tube to open them, but thankfully it didn't get to that point.

Right now I'm working on a filter to keep any more rust out of the top tank. I'll post about it when I get it finished and tested.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
BlueSunoco

Tom something like this??

Part #DescriptionPrice
Qty

Purchase

ACC-GANO-6
Gano Coolant Filter 6 Cylinder
This filter is designed to be installed in the upper radiator hose. Installation of the "Full Flow" filter will stop radiator and heater core clogging due to rubber from hoses, foreign particles and rust scale. Filter is transparent and can easily be cleaned. $54.99/ea 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
ACC-GANO-6BHigh Performance Brass Gano Coolant Filter 6 Cylinder
New solid brass construction will out last earlier plastic versions. Shorter length will also fit tighter applications. Very durable and solid non see through construction. Protects radiator from plugging.$69.99/ea 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
ACC-GANO-8Gano Coolant Filter 8 Cylinder
This filter is designed to be installed in the upper radiator hose. Installation of the "Full Flow" filter will stop radiator and heater core clogging due to rubber from hoses, foreign particles and rust scale. Filter is transparent and can easily be cleaned. $48.99/ea 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mustang Depot Las Vegas, Nevada
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
TerryH

Many of the old radiators are too clogged up to clean in any other way than having them rodded by someone who knows what they are doing. I had mine done by an older gentleman who used to own his own shop, and still did work on the side. Mine had almost 20 tubes totally clogged up and he was able to unclog all but a couple of them. My car never overheats now, so am very happy I stayed with the original one. But it takes someone with skill to do that, otherwise they can blow out the tubes and cause all kinds of damage.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
MrWzrd
BANNED

My radiator is in decent shape and even with the overflow tube compromised where it comes through the baffle the engine is very temperature happy. I tanked it a month ago and checked it with a borescope and it's clean inside but there is pitting and signs of age. I just figured I'd address it before it became a problem. (and screwed up some planned drive)
Old 10-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #14
sethkestenbaum

Tom, I've run with the vinegar for weeks, I've backflushed, used various soaps, etc. Basically I think the mechanical rodding out may be my only resolve for the older radiator. I also didn't install my gano filter until just before I replaced the old radiator. As I see it, the buildup in the tubes was there prior to my purchase of the car (and likely built up and dried out) and likely got much worse as I was using the car and stirring up all the crud in the engine. I'd love to get the original back in the car, but for now I am running cool with my bergs.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #15
MrWzrd
BANNED

Picked up the radiator this afternoon. New neck and overflow pipe installed, cleaned inside and out and repainted. Tab-$140.

Just have to finish the steering before it goes on the car.