Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #41
Terry,NJ

Default Re: Oil Change

My friend Bob, told me how they had done an experiment with old cars by draining the engines and running them without oil until they seized. The ones with STP would always run longer than the ones with out. Also, somewhere I heard that STP would Cling to the engine parts longer to provide better lubrication at start ups after long periods of inactivity.
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #42
Terry,NJ

Was it high detergent STP?
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
Years ago I added a can of STP to a very worn A model engine, with the mistaken belief that a worn out engine needed needed to have much, much, thicker oil. All I accomplished was to make it start leaking in places it had never leaked before.. Never again, for me. Definitely one of the times I outsmarted myself.
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #43
Python308

Personally I would suggest some AMSOIL 30 weight Z-ROD oil. It was specifically made for vintage cars and has some great data to go right along with it. Albeit it is synthetic. However I still have a few friends that run it in their much much older cars and absolutely love it.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...-EA&zo=5242643
Python308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #44
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Someone needs to be bold enough to run just plain liquid detergent in the crankcase and report back the results; we need to gather more data before we jump to any conclusions pro and con detergent. And someone needs to try just plain brake fluid, since that has come up, too. Something has to be better than motor oil!
Old 11-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #45
Fred K-OR

I would like to thank all those who posted some of the technical information to this thread. I know I have learned a lot about the "scientific" considerations about oil and how it works in our engines. Many things I had never known or considered and had never heard the explanations for the various weight oils, types of oils and etc.

I know people on this site get tired of hearing about "what oil to use in my A" but rarely do we get a technical reason as to why "I" use this oil. A number of the posts on this thread does enlighten us as to what oil does to our engines and thus gives us some options as to what we should do. Thus again I do thank those "engineer" type people who responded with some scientific explanations about oil. I am sure people will still use what oil they have always used but at least now they know how that oil effects our engines.

Thank you again.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #46
BILL WILLIAMSON

I cain't believe I read this WHOLE thing, AGAIN!!!!! I'm pathetic!!
Just use a QUALITY multi-grade, detergent oil, of the proper viscosity for the weather temp ranges where you live!
Do change your oil at proper intervals. Some folks I know who "CROW" about proper maintenance, are too blamed LAZY to change their oil, unless, ALL OF A SUDDEN, it's BELOW the LOW mark!! Some complain of hard steering, then find that the tires only have 12# pressure & NO sign of fresh grease around steering & suspension stuff!!! Complain of runnin' warmer than usual, then find it just needed the water topped up!!!!
"TALK" IS CHEEP!!!! Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LUBE RACK.jpg (11.2 KB, 18 views)