Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Andy

Default Model A rear spring width

I would like to use some Model A rear shackles on a 32 spring to get the grease fittings. Are the springs the same width? A 32 spring is 2.25 wide. My new rear shackles have sagged just like the front ones. Thanks
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
62pan

Default Re: Model A rear spring width

If I am not mistaken rear springs on an A are 2 1/4 inches wide. T's are 2 inches
62pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
Andy

Thanks, I thought that waa right.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:28 PM   #4
Lindsay

Hi I am looking for Model A Ford rear spring specs. for a 1929 fordor please. Can any one help. Lindsay
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:49 PM   #5
Joe K

There are at least 10 different car options using 5 different "spring stacks" that can be made with the commonly seen spring leaves. Some with as few as 7 leaves (and a spacer) used on the light roadster, 8 leaves on coupes, and many such as your Fordor and my pickup with 10 leaves.

10 leaves are probably the most common making up 3 of the 5 standard stacks, and the most variable in make-up.

This was all described in the so called "Marco's spring chart" originated by Marco Tahtaras. Can be seen by following down starting this thread https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174402

You will note the chart to the left shows "spring stacks" with colored lines crossing the numbered leaves. Each of the spring cross sections are "cross hatched" and the cross hatching matches the dimensional cross sections shown to the right. Thus using the pix one can tell what THICKNESSES are required to make up the spring at the various locations. Given a stack of position number springs of differing thicknesses, one could create springs for any size/weight of cars using the chart. It's kind of remarkable how Ford used a fairly limited quantity of standard spring thicknesses/lengths to combine to cover a wide range of vehicle weight.

What is missing on the chart is the LENGTHS of the various numbered leaves.

To my knowledge, this information is only shown on the engineering prints which are available from Ford Motor Company, or the Benson Ford Research Center at The Henry Ford Museum - dedicated to preserving the information for posterity. Drawing copies are available from this second source, but there is a price as someone has to do the follow up and then make copies. You may have to sign agreement to NOT use the copy for commercial reproduction of the part. https://www.thehenryford.org/collect...parts-drawings

Now if you need ONE leaf, to replace one broken, you might get someone to use the OAL and thickness to make you a replacement. One who might do this and you can be sure it will be done correctly would be http://a-springs.com. They have bought the drawings and the agreement with Ford Motor Co. But they will also provide you a new IDENTICAL to original spring for probably only a bit more money. Springs do wear and can take a set and this might be money better spent. There are other manufacturers of Model A springs who might take on this partial work too.

OR - haunt the antique automotive flea markets and buy a spring for small money to use the best parts of it and your own to get where you want to be, keeping in mind Marco's chart.

Used 10 leaf springs are generally not too expensive - frequently seen for less than $100. I have bought one at Amherst, NH for $15 - but that was a lucky day, and I had proved in my mind anyway that the spring was for a pickup - which is quite stiff and many substitute a less stiff spring on their pickup to improve the ride. So pickup springs may be most available used as befits the law of supply and demand.

Anyway, hope this all helps.
Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 03-02-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote