Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Tom in SW VA

Talking A newbie in Model T world

I bought a 24 touring on e-bay last week. I have been into Model As forever, but have never had a T. Can you give me some good sage advice on the owning a Model T? I haven't never driven one, either.

Thanking you in advance...................................
Tom in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
Steve Jelf

Default Re: A newbie in Model T world

Here's some reading to get you started:
http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG52.html
Pay special attention to First Parts and Thrust Washers.

Here are some videos on starting and driving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCWn...tpDgCPJXbFCA6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21k8...tpDgCPJXbFCA6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYhp8LWb6-w#t=19
Steve Jelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
Dick Webber

They run better warmed up.
If you are running 6V on battery, a charging generator is a must.
Start on battery then switch to mag if mag works. If mag does not work I removed the mag wire from the transmission mag post and hooked it to a 12v dry battery. Then you can start and run with switch in mag position. Starts easier and runs better. I did this for years until I fixed the mag.

I too had/have an A for years before my 40 T years. Enjoy!
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
A bones

Welcome WELCOME. I always recommend find a source for two books 'The Model T FordOwner by Murray Fahnstock and MODEL T Ford Service- reprint from Ford Motor. The main thing with driving is to understand that bands are not clutch plates. When we 'feather ' a clutch plate we make heat. Bands (unless they are Kevlar) do not like all that much heat. So the answer is to think about any automatic that is going to fail. The first thing notable is a slow shift (dirty fluid-clogged filter). This causes the bands to burn. The next step is a rebuild. Now carry this knowledge to the T planetary trans, and work the pedals with a clamping action. The quick grab of the band reduces heat build-up. The 'stab' of the pedal needs to be accompanied by the appropriate position of the gas valve. When starting off, as the slow pedal is clamped the gas valve is opened up quick to put power to the wheels. When going to high, time closing the gas valve briefly to allow the main clutches to lock-up then gas on. With downshift (say you're going up grade and it won't pull high gear) it helps to rev up as the slow pedal is clamped tightly. Next thought is to look into a trans filter if you don't already have one. A simple screen plate that will catch a lot of dirt and band material. Regular common gear oil that you can buy on any corner is not good to use in a rear that has babbit or brass. Look to the vendors for right stuff. Slow down or stop before going down any STEEP hill. Control your roll before gravity takes effect.
My dad was all about model 'A's. I even had a "Model A s Forever" button when I was a kid. As a 'grownup' I am pleased to say my "T" has taught me a lot. I'm glad I did not listen to all the A guys who said "you don't want a "T". Oh yeah, I love to read all the posts about which oil. NEVER graphite oil NEVER. It screws up the magneto. Other than that the 'T' likes anything as long as you change it frequently. Some say this, some say that, just remember, even if you have an air filter the oil will get dirty quick so frequent changes are best. And last I learned at an AACA conference as sometimes happens motors are not happy with available carburetion. When the power, on acceleration, is lacking try a quick sharp pull of the choke rod (up-down). This is a band-aid, but will get the roll going and ready to cruise.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:22 AM   #5
Tom in SW VA

Thanks for all the sage advice!! I have to admit that I am a little anxious. I won't have the car for about three weeks.
Tom in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jelf View Post
Here's some reading to get you started:
http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG52.html
Pay special attention to First Parts and Thrust Washers.

Here are some videos on starting and driving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCWn...tpDgCPJXbFCA6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21k8...tpDgCPJXbFCA6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYhp8LWb6-w#t=19
Those are extremely well made films... I'm a Model A'er and a newbie at that but can see the process of chocking and hand cranking... I would imaging the old difference might be the key switch on a Model A vs the Model T ? magneto switch.. Love T roadster!

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
CharlieB

Tom your best bet is to locate a local club and find some one who is willing to show you the ropes. You're going to find out over time that the T is a totally different animal than the A. The only true way to drive it is hands on learning. Once that T second nature is learned it's a pretty good experience. I'm a quick learner but some one with knowledge could have been a huge help.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #8
Steve Jelf

I agree a local club can be a big help if you're lucky enough to have one handy. Even without a club, you might find some nearby T folks to help out. But in many places you have to rely on MTFCA, Ford Barn, and Facebook. There may be Model T people in your area, but that doesn't mean they're active. A month ago we had a Model T tour here, with cars from Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Washington. It was free, with no registration fee. Of approximately a dozen Model T owners I know about locally, I was the only one who turned out for it.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:12 AM   #9
Dodge

Ditto: find a local Model T Club. T people are great and love to help out. I grew up with
T's and have been driving them for 50yrs. You're going to love it.
I have two Model A's and four Model T's and love both. I think my blood pressure goes
down every time I drive the T......
Dodge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
Gary loves Fords

I have both T's and A's. They are different animals. Once you have the basics mastered, prepare to be addicted to these fabulous automobiles. I need a T fix at least 3 or 4 times a month, or I get depressed. In Michigan, our crusing season is short and I miss driving my T's more than any of my other collector cars. They are simply the biggest bang for the buck out there. Happy T'ing, you are going to love it.
Gary loves Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #11
Dick Webber

Hey Tom--

How did this all turn out? Do you have the car yet?
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #12
Kelly mt

Tom, don't do what I did. I pulled into the shop in my new T and put the clutch in to stop. Not recommended! At least the brake was in the right place. PK
Kelly mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #13
DanJohnston

Tom, Welcome to Model T World from Fargo ND. I have owned my 23 Touring/Pickup since 1988 and I am still a newbie in an old chassis. I can' t add much to the sage advice others have given you to date. My only suggestion is that you start looking for the special tools you will need if you are going to service your 24 T yourself. You will find that Henry had a propensity to manufacture the T so that the only tool that would fit was a Ford or approved vendor. Three areas you can expect to need them is removing and replacing the carburator, R&R the generator, and adjusting the transmission bands, let alone Relining the bands. Modern tools just won't allow a proper job to be done. A word of caution there is Damned little room for fingers or arms either. I am a blood brother with my T a dozen ways or more, I learned French in the process as well. One final piece of advice Never Look At Fords Flat Rate Times to estimate the time required for a needed repair. In general if Ford allowed an hour I convert that to one day. Have fun, Dan Ph. #: 701-200-2319
DanJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #14
Steve Jelf

Pat, I avoid that problem by backing in so I'm headed out the door when I leave.

What Dan said about the times in the manual is true for sure. Those times were intended for mechanics who got lots of practice working on these cars all the time. If you've installed new band linings a dozen times, maybe you can do it in forty minutes. But the first time it's more like four days.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #15
DanJohnston

Steve, It's good to here that you and I are using the same conversion factor for Ford's Flat Rate. I have never been a fast turn out mechanic but I have always preferred Right to Fast. My first band reiine was 4 1/2 days working solo. I attribute the extra 1/2 day to the pictures I took of every step of the job including mistakes. Some day I will post them for everyone's perusal. Dan
DanJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote