Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
daveymc29

Default Ease of entry

My bride broke her hip getting out of our modern car and that has me thinking about the "what now?" We have been struggling into, and out of, a 29 roadster for the past twenty years or so. I'm having a devil of a time exiting and am afraid that at some remote spot on the Model A road I'll take a fall and that isn't going to end well for me. I have been know to dash of on some several hundreds of miles jaunts on my own, with just a cell phone and AAA card for company. So what is the simplest solution, buy a tudor? I hope it's not drive the Lincoln Town-car everywhere. I do still get my kicks driving this beast.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
Drive Shaft Dave

Default Re: Ease of entry

I have found getting in and out of a Fordor, Tudor and a coupe to be the easiest compared to the open cars.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:14 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Bill Williamson has "modern" bucket seats in his car that swivel for ease in entry and exit.

here is the post with his seats,

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showpo...99&postcount=4
Old 12-09-2014, 01:48 AM   #4
Brother Hesekiel

There's no easier Ford Model A to get into, or out of, than a Roadster. A Roadster doesn't have a roof, so I step on the running board with my left leg, then step into the car with my right one, pull in my left leg, turn toward the steering wheel, still somewhat standing up, supporting my body with my right hand at the top of the seat's back rest, then slide down into the car. I'm 6'6" and I do that so elegantly, you wouldn't believe it.

In contrast, you should see me climbing out of a Jaguar E-Type or MG Midget. It's a sorry sight indeed. What makes it more difficult is that I'm close to the floor, have no way to support my body with my legs, so I have to pull myself up, using my hands and whatever I can find for support.

For the same reason, I prefer driving my pickup when my back is out, instead of my comfy Mercedes. In the pickup, I can just slide sideways into my driver's seat, whereas on the Mercedes I have to bend down. And that's the last thing I want to do when my back is out.

Of course, once the top is up, none of this applies. I've never driven my car with the top up.

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:23 AM   #5
Karl

Topical post for me . I have has several Model A's The easiest one for me to get in and out of was my 1930 Sports coupe . The toughest is my current 1930 Phaeton. This cummulated in me giving myself a back injury twisting to get out from under the steering wheel . After much contemplation I worked out that the problem was the height of the front seat was different from one to the other I have had 1/2 inch taken out of the phaetons seat (by tying the springs) last week and this has made a huge difference. Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:31 AM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Hesekiel View Post
There's no easier Ford Model A to get into, or out of, than a Roadster. A Roadster doesn't have a roof, so I step on the running board with my left leg, then step into the car with my right one, pull in my left leg, turn toward the steering wheel, still somewhat standing up, supporting my body with my right hand at the top of the seat's back rest, then slide down into the car. I'm 6'6" and I do that so elegantly, you wouldn't believe it.

In contrast, you should see me climbing out of a Jaguar E-Type or MG Midget. It's a sorry sight indeed. What makes it more difficult is that I'm close to the floor, have no way to support my body with my legs, so I have to pull myself up, using my hands and whatever I can find for support.

For the same reason, I prefer driving my pickup when my back is out, instead of my comfy Mercedes. In the pickup, I can just slide sideways into my driver's seat, whereas on the Mercedes I have to bend down. And that's the last thing I want to do when my back is out.

Of course, once the top is up, none of this applies. I've never driven my car with the top up.

That works of course only when the top is down on the Roadsters. I have several A's and with tops up the Rosdsters are terrible. Tops down I agree with you.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
Ed in Maine

I am currently working on a 1931 Cabriolet and I custom made a narrower package tray so that I could set the seat further back. I couldn't bring myself to cut up an original part. For what it is worth, my 1932 Coupe is just as difficult to get in and out of. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #8
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Hesekiel View Post

I would disagree, because the seat can be adjusted to the rear, we find our Town Sedan to be a lot easier than the roadster. It would be even more the case with a heavy person. Some cannot even get in the drivers side of the roadster.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
Brother Hesekiel

In response to what Karl said, I have raised my seat by about an inch, and stiffened the springs. In addition, I have made sure that the springs can't sink down as much as they would otherwise (and did before), by fitting a 1/4-inch sheet of Alumalite under it.

The more I have to bend my legs in order to operate the pedals, the less comfortable it is. The higher I sit, not unlike in a pickup, the less I have to bend my legs. Again, I'm 6-6 and weigh over 250 pounds.

I also have a lot more room in my Roadster as I removed the package shelf and due to an ingenious construction of my own design, put the seat back about 2 inches on top and 4 inches on the bottom. Invisible to anybody but an expert, but it makes all the difference in the world. I can truly say that I sit very comfortably in my Model A now, and that's quite a statement for a tall guy like me.

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
Gary loves Fords

Roadsters are difficult to get in and out of, when the top is raised. I just bought a 31
Deluxe Phaeton (2 dr.) that has wider doors (fron to back) than a roadster and it is no trouble for me to get in and out of, when the top is raised. I would suggest lowering the top of your roadster and you will not have any problems.
Gary loves Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary loves Fords View Post
Roadsters are difficult to get in and out of, when the top is raised. I just bought a 31
Deluxe Phaeton (2 dr.) that has wider doors (fron to back) than a roadster and it is no trouble for me to get in and out of, when the top is raised. I would suggest lowering the top of your roadster and you will not have any problems.
How does it get easier with the top down?

BTW, my 28 Phaeton is also a tight fit and I never put the top down.

My mistake.........when you said lowering the top, I was thinking lowering it to the windshield.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 12-09-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
mhsprecher

I agree that the roadster is easier to get in and out of than my TS. I am 6'2". I do almost always drive the roadster with the top down. I think the driving position is more comfortable, too.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:06 PM   #13
CWPASADENA

I find a Tudor is about the easiest to get in and out of, especially if you move the seat back a little which is very easy to do.

A Vicky has even longer doors than a Tudor but the opening is not as high so a Tudor still may be a better choice.

My '31 Deluxe Roadster was a chore especially with the top up and I am only 5'9" and weigh 165# and do not have big feet.

My opinion,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #14
Fred K-OR

I am 6'2" and about 200 lbs. I put my right foot in first with the left on the ground. Then move my backside onto the seat and then bring my left foot in. Works great for my 29 coupe and the huckster. Hope this makes sense!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #15
Patrick L.

I do as Fred does. I try to keep folks off the boards.
I also think the 30/31s have more room than the earlier models.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #16
Tim B.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I have a 29 Tudor and added this for my wife. Sturdy, inexpensive and easy to make. No added holes. Can be added to the drivers side as well. Let me know if you want any info. Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00811 reduced.jpg (206.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00809 reduced.jpg (135.1 KB, 55 views)
Tim B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #17
Dick Carne

Dave -

Over the years we've had several Model A's - we're now down to a '28 roadster, '29 touring car, and a '29 Briggs Town Sedan. By far and above the fordor is the most comfortable of any of the Model A's that we have had, including a '31 Sport Couope and a '30 Tudor from earlier days. I have been amazed at the extra leg room that I never knew a Model A to have before acquiring our fordor; that, coupled with the bench seat makes this an excellent tour car. While the touring car has arguably easier ingress and egress than the roadster, the fordor beats both hands-down. Let us know what you ultimately decide. Good luck -

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote