Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

View Poll Results: Are you or are you not????
I don't know a thing and I contract out. 2 0.87%
I learn by doing as I go along but still need physical help. 72 31.17%
I do all the work myself. 156 67.53%
I just sit back and supervise with a beer. 1 0.43%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #41
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Are you or are you not!!!! That is my question....

Anything mechanical and electrical.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:16 AM   #42
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I guess we are missing the definition of "mechanic". For purposes of this poll does a mechanic pour babbit, or install insert bearings in a raw block? Does a mechanic do sheet metal work, paint cars and pinstripping?

I find it interesting that so many chose "I do all the work myself". Do we have engine builders and fabricators here we don't know about?
Mike, here is my definition of a mechanic and a non-mechanic regarding a Model A Ford.

What's a babbit?....me, because I haven't a clue!!! But I do know how to spell it.

Everyone else that knows what a babbit is or what it does, or what it looks like, or how to pour it.....is a mechanic....IMO.

I don't know how to paint a car but....I know how to keep them shiny!!

I was curious where I stood among all the other Barners with mechanical ability and....so far, I'm in the minority. I had a pretty good idea anyway. I'm that race car driver, Formula One driver taking publicity shots with all the babes while the crew takes care of the car. Without that crew I wouldn't be with all the babes.......I'm the pilot and without my crew chief I'd be grounded or dead.
...and I wanted to know where to move if I move away from here and who to move next door to. If I was to move to PA, I'd move next door to Mitch but he lives too close to an ex-wife of mine.
I wish I did have the mechanical knowledge and aptitude to do my own work as so many Barners do have and do. One thing for sure, if anyone has a Model A, that person should either have the mechanical know-how to keep it in shape to be road worthy or the money to have someone else keep it road-worthy.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #43
Terry, NJ

So here I am, at 71 YO, learning a new trade. It's body work, welding patch panels, primers, paint preparation. and wood work. I used to judge car by their bodies, because bodywork, any deeper than slopping on Bondo was beyond me. And I never welded anything as thin as 19 ga. My previous welding experience was all with stick. In 1974, I bought a new Linde welding machine (220 buzz box). I once got some 1/16 welding rodsp and tried to weld body metal with predictable results (zilch). So I gave up, I wasn't about to buy a new MIG. I had used them on the job and knew about them, but I knew they were expensive. I had a nonworking wife and two new daughters and I couldn't justify it.
However, In 2011, I bought a used Century MIG machine and after replacing a couple of parts, found it to be just what I needed. From there, It's been straight up. I've learned to weld in patch panels, grind it as needed, smooth on "Liquid Lead', finish with plastic, sand
it, prime it with Black primer for visuals, then prime it with epoxy and then wait for good weather to paint. Paint, then color sand it with 600 grit, then 1200.Polish with compound and then pat yourself on the back. That 5 grand (plus) they charge for a paint job is worth every penny!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #44
larrys40

The results are obviously skewed by the ones who chose to respond... as by my observation of the forum there are many more than the results that probably don't "do everything".
I don't do plating either, except for small parts like using some of the single cad home plating and special techniques for getting correct finishes on small parts when it warrants and is needed.

Obvously most of us don't do speedometer rebuilding either, and few do woodgraining... (although probably more than speedo restoration) and non of us probably do glass ( I don;'t mean installing). I think being a mechanic at it and being a restorer are two different aspects. I think we just have to take the fun and light informational intention of this and leave it at that. Sonny is a great guy and contributor to the forum in many ways... and certainly makes me laugh and smile... In that respect I'll be the guy who has to sit back with the cold drink in hand and watch him do his thing. He's a great people person for sure! Thanks Sonny for your contributions.. they are appreciated !

Happy motoring, wrenching, restoring, plating, painting and plane ole enjoying the "A"'s in 2016 to you all!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #45
Rowdy
BANNED

That is why I did not vote as most threads like this are subjective and started by people who just want to run their mouth for their own amusement. JMHO. Rod
Old 01-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #46
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Larry who is Sonny?
Me...behind the scenes. Picked that nickname up as a kid on the corner selling Grit back in 31.

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 01-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #47
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Me...behind the scenes. Picked that nickname up as a kid on the corner selling Grit back in 31.
Haha I just deleted the post cause I emailed you instead

As much as we talked on the side I never knew that
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #48
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
That is why I did not vote as most threads like this are subjective and started by people who just want to run their mouth for their own amusement. JMHO. Rod
I'll tell you this Mr Rowdy, if in the future I have a question or a curiousity about something, I'll PM or email those that have, IMHO, a far better attitude and you can keep this site as you want it, straitlaced and pure. Deal?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????

Old 01-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #49
Terry, NJ

Rowdy's a great guy! But he is right on in my case, I do like to "Run my Mouth" I'm proud of what I've learned and done and with very little help from anyone. Some, but it was mostly a solitary endeavor. Actually , me and a book! I was usually asking questions that were over a lot of other guys heads. Like the first time I had heard of an interference fit in relation to the valves. It was easier to find ten guys who didn't know than one who did know. I did it my way. So screw it, It's not bragging if you can do it! So at 71 I like to amuse myself thinking and writing about what I've done and that doesn't cover half of it.
Terry
Old 01-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #50
Rowdy
BANNED

My response was supposed to be attached to Mitch's comment. I hit the Quick Reply button, but somehow it did not attach where it should have. We are on opposite spectrums of the hobbie. Like many here I am scraping and scratching to get mine done. Skill in most areas is not lacking and at one point I ran a plater although there is no way I would go to the trouble to do my own. While some of your pictures are nice, I struggle to get much usable info from them. No offense meant. Rod
Old 01-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #51
Terry, NJ

Since I'm quite willing to show how I did something and more than willing to photograph it, Please tell me what I can do to make it more valuable to someone, who's doing the same job and is stuck at a certain point. I can't teach myself "Computer" and I've had no luck at posting pictures on a thread. I don't Get these machines. It's a total mental block! But I can post them into my albums and send someone there.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
My response was supposed to be attached to Mitch's comment. I hit the Quick Reply button, but somehow it did not attach where it should have. We are on opposite spectrums of the hobbie. Like many here I am scraping and scratching to get mine done. Skill in most areas is not lacking and at one point I ran a plater although there is no way I would go to the trouble to do my own. While some of your pictures are nice, I struggle to get much usable info from them. No offense meant. Rod
Old 01-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #52
H. L. Chauvin

Unique Mechanical Category:

Heard a customer in a mechanic shop ask the mechanic/owner, "What does that guy do?

The mechanic/owner replied, "That guy is my First Class "ADDER" ...... this guy has mastered "adding" water to batteries, windshield washers, and radiators; "adding" air to low tires; and "adding" oil to crankcases, etc. ....... but; anything beyond that is totally off limits!"
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #53
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Unique Mechanical Category:

Heard a customer in a mechanic shop ask the mechanic/owner, "What does that guy do?

The mechanic/owner replied, "That guy is my First Class "ADDER" ...... this guy has mastered "adding" water to batteries, windshield washers, and radiators; "adding" air to low tires; and "adding" oil to crankcases, etc. ....... but; anything beyond that is totally off limits!"
He wouldn't be working for me
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #54
Bill in SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
juz came in fer lunch, ben working on the A all mawnin'. Don't kno whut echlon I am, but I do everything but pour the babbit and line bore the block.
Me too. I'm not a mechanic, but I have enjoyed working on cars since I was a teenager. I cannot help but learn as I go. For me - it's the journey that matters. Bill
Bill in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #55
H. L. Chauvin

Per reply #53, might add that many here may remember when prior to todays Self-Service gas stations, " Adders" were in abundance at just about every gas station ..... they could even "add" gas to your gas tank.

Definitely a "Categorical Lost Art".

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-11-2016 at 03:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #56
My1930ModelA

I was the best "Adder" the owner had at the Union 76 service station back in the early 80's. I could spot a tire low on air, either radial or bias ply, always asked to check oil and fluids, and "added" oil and gas without spilling it. Most of the other guys couldn't care less about doing any of these services correctly. In this regard I am proud to say I worked as an adder.
My1930ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:12 PM   #57
H. L. Chauvin

Agree with having pride with one's work as stated in reply #57.

Doing one's best at bagging groceries, pumping gas, raking leaves, etc., for non-required minimum wages years ago made far better U.S. future citizens than receiving free welfare, staying idle, doing drugs and joining gangs.

In my opinion, lots of guys on this Model A Forum, (far more than those thus far who have responded), are more than capable of taking Model A's apart and successfully reassembling same because they got their hands greasy at a very young age and are not at all afraid to try things.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:38 AM   #58
J Franklin

I chose everything but realize that I don't do precision machining, or plating. I do paint, bodywork, upholstery, all mechanic work including repairing the speedometer. I don't manufacture glass or steel either.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:56 AM   #59
mike657894

if i had the tooling for babbit i wouldn't be scared of it. line boring looks pretty basic(dad was a machinist and has a lathe and mill at home). and metal fab is simple. if you set your mind to it you can make anything. I had been gunsmithing and doing repairs and if parts were not available i would make them by hand with a vise and a file. hell i designed and sewn my own interior for my A . if you can tell your self you can do it and the thing your doing is possible you can do it. just try if you fail you try again.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:02 AM   #60
mike657894

I think many here could do it all. and if you cant thats cool too. i have to do it all because i can barely afford the materials and cant afford labor at this time.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote