Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

View Poll Results: Are you or are you not????
I don't know a thing and I contract out. 2 0.87%
I learn by doing as I go along but still need physical help. 72 31.17%
I do all the work myself. 156 67.53%
I just sit back and supervise with a beer. 1 0.43%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Are you or are you not!!!! That is my question....

a Mechanic....a mechanic enough to do absolutely every repair on your A yourself or do you only do what we called in the military, 1st echelon maintenance, check oil levels, air pressure, lights, etc. Do you seek out someone more qualified than your self to do the work, are you "edjamakated' enough in mechanical know-how to read and learn and then do.
I know the answer from some is quite obvious but some times, rarely though, the experts might need help with something, just having someone hold a wrench.............
I did a bit of 2nd echelon work on Sarah last winter with the help and direction from those here who knew what I didn't but no way could I venture into many things Larry did and will be doing over this winter. I'm just not that 'edjamakated' nor do I have the interest nor do I have the tools or the proper place. Hey, some are lovers and some are mechanics!!! Which one or you??????????????????????

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #2
kenparker

Default Re: Are you or are you not!!!! That is my question....

juz came in fer lunch, ben working on the A all mawnin'. Don't kno whut echlon I am, but I do everything but pour the babbit and line bore the block.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
MAG

" Don't kno whut echlon I am, but I do everything but pour the babbit and line bore the block."
Old 01-10-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
juz came in fer lunch, ben working on the A all mawnin'. Don't kno whut echlon I am, but I do everything but pour the babbit and line bore the block.
You'd be 4th echelon, Depot Maintaince in the Army.

1st Echelon....Operator level
2nd Echelon...Company or Battery level
3rd Echelon....Battalion level
4th Echelon ...Depot

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 01-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
mshmodela

Mr. Grit,

Clearly some Model A owners have the skills to do most anything on their cars --some not.. That does not make those who can better men/women, but they are just more experienced.

At this point, I've done all the work on my car myself and will continue to. If I have to pull the engine etc. one day, I'll have at... There is no other way to learn, slow and document the process with notes and photos is my plan when that day comes.... I did not know jack about repairing my silly Apple Macbook after a dump ass coffee spill... 55 screws held the damn keyboard to the app case... $28 vs $1,200 from Apple... I learned somethings... and then some... I figure the same with my 31'.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #6
Rowdy
BANNED

Being an FAA certified A&P who has been bending wrenches since I was 8 and now work as a certified Crown Equipment forktruck tech/ maintenance trainer I can fix almost anything that comes along. Before the last 8 years of medical and financial hell I was learning to pour bearings. Hoping things in the next few years will improve to the point I can work on this persuit again. Have some scrap blocks that I am also going to start figuring out what I need to do with my kwikway line bore set up to hopefully start machining blocks for inserts also. I am not going to vote as I think these Polls are pure BS, but judge for yourself by my answer. Rod

Last edited by Rowdy; 01-10-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
CarlG

I do what I know I can do, ask for help for things I'm unsure of, and on others, I let the professionals who really do know what they are doing -- do their thing.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #8
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Mr. Grit,

Clearly some Model A owners have the skills to do most anything on their cars --some not.. That does not make those who can better men/women, but they are just more experienced.

At this point, I've done all the work on my car myself and will continue to. If I have to pull the engine etc. one day, I'll have at... There is no other way to learn, slow and document the process with notes and photos is my plan when that day comes.... I did not know jack about repairing my silly Apple Macbook after a dump ass coffee spill... 55 screws held the damn keyboard to the app case... $28 vs $1,200 from Apple... I learned somethings... and then some... I figure the same with my 31'.
Larry has already express the need of my help this winter with Sarah, not for knowledge but as a second person's set of hands which I will gladly give. Of course I will charge him $80.00 an hour for my help!!!!

Old 01-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #9
Bob C

I do about everything except engine machining.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #10
Vin-tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlg View Post
i do what i know i can do, ask for help for things i'm unsure of, and on others, i let the professionals who really do know what they are doing -- do their thing.
x2.
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #11
WestCoast

I can do most every thing that needs to be on many engines, dis assembling inspecting and re assembling, I am not trained or do I have the equipment to do the heavy machine work, boring, cam and crank grinding and line boring, so I don't really now where I fit in the question, but I believe most of the guys in here fit in with me, we are the ones you want on your tours to fix most of the problems that occur on the road, the ones who keep your week end from being ruined
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #12
mike657894

im 32 when i was 16 after having my first car for 4 days a 1988 grand prix 3.1l fwd I slid into a curb bending the front cradle frame. my dad had a freind in the junk yard biz and got me a used cradle for 150. and he was pissed that i ruined a car in just 4 days. so i stayed out of the house and in the garage for a while by myself. other than stripping out the rack and costing me another 75$ and getting dad out there a few times when i hit road blocks(one was showing me the effectiveness of a breaker bar with 6ft of pipe slid over the end). I was on my way to being a one man army of auto restoration.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #13
mike657894

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
I can do most every thing that needs to be on many engines, dis assembling inspecting and re assembling, I am not trained or do I have the equipment to do the heavy machine work, boring, cam and crank grinding and line boring, so I don't really now where I fit in the question, but I believe most of the guys in here fit in with me, we are the ones you want on your tours to fix most of the problems that occur on the road, the ones who keep your week end from being ruined
if your doing everything that doesn't require large shop machinery i would say that is doing it all.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
I do about everything except engine machining.

Bob
That's about my place in this survey too.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #15
daveymc29

With luck I can charge the battery. As long as its an Optima and that only lasted for 14 months, so you'll see why I occasionally get on this site for a bit of advice. USMC trained tank mechanic.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #16
jax55

I'm with Vin Tin and Carlg. I am usually able to do something I was unsure of the first time, the next time it comes up or at least have confidence I could do it if required.
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #17
Sunnybrook Farm

The less money I have the more work I do myself.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

A great help in doing repair stuff, is to have a CURIOUS NATURE, a GREAT IMAGINATION, & JUST USE LOTS OF COMMON SENSE REASONING!
Bill W.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #19
Binger

I am in the same boat as a lot of people above. I do not do any machining. I do my own body and paint work as well as upholstery. I do not do Concurs quality but I am always proud to say I have done almost all the work on my cars!
Binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #20
Terry, NJ

Well I was a marine mechanic for about a year. I only worked on Chris Crafts, 105 Hercules, and a couple of 156s. Later, I owned a Trojan with a Fageol (Crosley) IO It had a Scott Atwater lower unit. I owned and repaired my first Chris, A 1932 16' with a Chyrsler UMC, mod B plymouth 4 cyl engine (Maxwell?) Later, I was into airplanes and had a 172 N with a O-320h2ad which I switched It was timed out at 2500+ hrs. Had a burned a valve. The specs called for it to be changed (the engine) to be changed at 2000 Hrs. I never got my A&P. Wish I Did, even thought about it Even took it in Vo Tech school, But..... I just did some of the work, with a real A&P looking over my shoulder, guiding me! Then I entered my tractor phase, 1 st was an 1938 Allis Chalmers. mod B, Then a 50s Farmall Mod H, Then a 1952 Ford 8N, and then a Case 580E backhoe. All are gone except the backhoe, It's just too handy! While all this was going on I owned the usual assortment of cars of the late forties, and fifties, and sixties. All of which I have a strong resentment against my parents for making me get rid of them. Starting with a 49 ford, 3 51s, a 54 convert, with a 57 T bird 312, a57 Buick (Factory Std Shift) A59 Edsel convertible, a 59 TR3 and on and on and on Yawn. 47 Merc Conv. 46 Merc coupe. Chev 3200 PU , 64 galaxy, 68 spitfire. If you don't have the picture by now you ain't gonna get it . There was much to do and I did most of it. I rebuilt a few engines, I swapped a few Rears and trannies, brake jobs and various other repairs with the help of manuals and knowlegible. Plus I was working as a machinist/tool and diemaker/model maker. So am I echelon 1 2 3 or 4? I don't know! But I can fix almost everything on an older car, new cars have too much electronics. I don't get it. It's been fun!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote