Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #81
Hitchhiker

Default Re: how can we get the youth to be come involed in our hobby?

30 years old here. I've had various model A's since about 24. I've got a few buddies that have them too. Hot rods and stock. but they don't post them here.

We're out there. But keep silent, as our cars will usually chase you "purist" off.

Like my 1931 Pickup. lowered 4 inches with reverse eye springs and a dropped axle. v8 wire wheels. Juice brakes. Powered by a 6:1 winfield equipped banger. v8 trans. stock rear. still has a stock generator and wiring. It's fenders and no chop. Nothing crazy, all bolt ons.

So it's still a model A, right? everything could go back to stock. But it's also a hot rod....not something you guys approve of.

But it's my daily driver and I like it, so that's all that matters.

Maybe being more accepting of what we are into, would help.

How do you know that the A coupe I built with a 3 inch chop wasn't already bound for the scrap heap when I saved it. No restorer had stepped up to save it. The roof had been cut poorly and just left there to rot in a farmers field for longer than I have been alive. I found a rough frame...also junk to a restorer, and built it from there. All Ford parts. flathead v8, 39 trans. etc...

Did I save that car? or did I ruin it?

What I am getting at is, like the couple, in their stock model A vicki, that told me I ruined my truck.

You don't know who we are or what we are into. or That we may have a stocker at home. You are chasing us off by being rude, regardless of if you like our cars, try being more diplomatic.

(:disclaimer: this rant has nothing to do with fordbarn or any of the members specifically. as I respect that it is about stock fords. which I think are awesome, and an important part of history, just not for me, until I can afford a large collection.)

Last edited by Hitchhiker; 03-03-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #82
jm29henry

I just wanted to thank all of the members who have responded to my post .There are some great ideas to ponder . There is no perfect answer but we can all try to do our own part to keep the love for the Model A .[Remember we are only care takers of these fine cars ]and " one day some one else will own them!!!!!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #83
Ted Duke

Matt,

Excellent points. I bought my scrap heap 1929 Roadster PU in 1970. Started on a restoration, which was delayed 35+ years, but is on-going now. I am not "rodding" it, but it won't be "pure". It's mine, and it would have been scrap if I had not suckered in to the deal (oops, I mean saved it), and will look like a Model A, sound like a Model A and whatever deviations I make are my business.

I love "Correct Model A's", but I love all old cars that have been saved. All of us can not afford to pay someone multiple thou to get it done. All of us don't have the talent to make it "perfect". Bless those who can and do.

I think most people on here agree with me, the silent majority. Less criticism would likely encourage more people, young and old, to participate.

There, I've said it and will likely be banned.

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #84
John Duden

Give them a copy of the judging standards, and or a car or parts to work on, WORKED FOR ME!
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #85
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
Matt,

Excellent points. I bought my scrap heap 1929 Roadster PU in 1970. Started on a restoration, which was delayed 35+ years, but is on-going now.

There, I've said it and will likely be banned.
Glad your finally getting around to it. So many save cars for that long and never do anything with them and won't let them go to anyone else who could save them. In the end more time than not when dad is gone his scrap gets sold off.
I dont think you'll get banned it sounds like you have the right attitude.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #86
Allanw

Well said Matt!

(I'm 35 BTW)

If the picky so-and-so's telling you what's wrong with your car realised how much they make themselves look like complete pratts, the whole hobby would be far better off. I bet they'd be really miffed if you pointed out their faults!

Some of that kind are in our local Vintage Car Club, and moan and grumble about any changes made in the club, but never even show up to meetings, working bee's or events!
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:46 AM   #87
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanw View Post
Well said Matt!

(I'm 35 BTW)

If the picky so-and-so's telling you what's wrong with your car realised how much they make themselves look like complete pratts, the whole hobby would be far better off. I bet they'd be really miffed if you pointed out their faults!
Asking if their car steers alright & noting that the king pins are in upside down & it would work better if they were up the other way is possibly helpful (or if they use grease instead of oil in the engine or something crazy it might be helpful to question that choice). Telling people they should take their car to the dump because the paint has runs in it is somewhat less helpful.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:53 AM   #88
Tom Endy

There are lots of young folk out there who are interested in the Model A Ford and would like to own one. My advice to them is to hook up with the local Model A club. Most Model A clubs will not be something that will interest them because most have become a social club for older people and there is nothing they do that will interest them. However somewhere within the club group will be one or two people who will take notice and quietly step forward and become a mentor. From the mentor, or mentors, will come the pass down of the enthusiasm of the Model A Ford.

A few years ago a young fellow in my neighborhood just out of high school approached me one day and told me how much he admired the Model A he had seen me driving around the neighborhood. We talked for quite a while about the Model A hobby and I explained the culture to him and told him I would help find a car for him.

During the next year we looked at one car and he spent time with me working on Model A's. I could tell he was hooked. The process was interrupted when his younger brother graduated from high school intent on joining the Marine Corps. Before long they both joined. They went through boot camp at San Diego and advanced training at Camp Pendleton together. Before we knew it they were both in the war in Afghanistan.
Nine months later they both came home unscathed and as veterans.

We immediately resumed the task of finding him a Model A. Before long we found a very suitable 1930 Tudor. It had a nice body, paint job, and interior. However everything else was compromised, but the price was right. I encouraged him to join the local Model A club, which he did. He was not able to attend the monthly meetings, but since he was stationed at Camp Pendleton he was able to attend a number of seminars on week ends. At the seminars he met several people who quietly stepped out of the crowd to be a mentor.

Over the next couple of years these mentors and myself helped him go completely through the car. Today it is a very fine car with all of the mechanics completely rebuilt. It even sports a Mitchell overdrive. Since our young Marine was under 22 we got him signed up for the youth restoration award, which helped with the finances. His pay that he had saved up when he was in Afghanistan also helped.

He loves that Model A and drives it everywhere. He has become very visible at Camp Pendleton. Before long his father was hooked on Model A's and we found him a dandy unrestored 1930 town sedan and in the past year and a half we have gone completely through this car as well. His father is also considered a young person.

Sad to say the local Model A club as an organization has taken little notice of this young fellow. However the benefit from joining was that a few dedicated Model A'ers stepped up and offered their mentoring. And that is the benefit of a young person joining a Model A club.

More than four years have gone by since the first encounter, and my young Marine friend, Sam Thompson, and his brother Mark will both be discharged in a few months. Both are sergeants as well as veterans and both are young men to be proud of. They both will be off to college in the fall on the GI Bill and Sam will be taking his Model A Ford with him to college.

Semper Fi
Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sam USMC.jpg (80.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Wendy-USMC-2.jpg (39.7 KB, 47 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:23 AM   #89
apbright

In a separate post, I mentioned what I call 'the dirty little secret' of the Model A. While I am happily married and don't do any 'Don Draper' fooling around, I have to say I am regularly surprised at how many spicy young ladies will spontaneously exclaim "I love your car!" while in my brown roadster.

So, I challenge any 20-25 year-old hipster to find any modern car that at any price - even a gosh darn $1 Million Bugatti - that will turn as many heads as what was once our humble old Model A.

P. S. Mr. Endy: I salute the service of your young friends Mr. & Mr. Thompson. They look like quite fine gentlemen.
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #90
P.S.

God bless you, Tom. Excellent work!
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #91
fords

Diomed, I got my A when I was 49 - that was ten years ago - I still have it and just got a '13 T. Glad to see you are in the A mode. There are still good deals and not knowing your mechanical ability you will find an A that will fit your GIG! Be willing to have the A you want delivered and hope you are able to touch and feel the A before you buy.
fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #92
stouchton

Alright - I am trying to do my part. Take a look at my avatar - look real close. You can just see his head peaking thru the windshield! That's my son. Although my other car is the show car, we tend to take the Model A to more shows.

My A is in good shape, looks great from 5 to 10 feet, and I let the kids crawl all over it! I want them to enjoy it. At car shows I tell the kids to crawl in so Mom and Dad can get a picture.

One kid wanted to start if up and drive away - so I handed him the crank to start it! You should have seen the look on his face.....
stouchton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #93
Pete

" How can we get the youth to be come involved in our hobby? "

That is a good question and sadly, no one can.
The seed is planted randomly and any young person from 3 up to any age can pick it up, BUT, they have to do it themselves. THE DESIRE HAS TO COME FROM THE INDIVIDUAL. You can attempt to plant the seed but it can only grow if there is a desire.
You can't take the typical kid of nowadays families that is only interested in video games, rock music and cargo pants and convert him to model A's.
As much as you would like it to, it AIN"T GONNA HAPPEN.
This isn't just with models A's, it holds true to any hobby or profession, in fact anything in life. There has to be a basic desire.
This is something that is covered in philosophy 101.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #94
ronn

Be approachable-both you and your car...................

when a car has a 15k paint job and ropes all around it at a show, how is a broke young feller to become interested? Likewise, are you friendly to the youth or grumpy?

think that sums it up...........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #95
CAPE A

I second that !
CAPE A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #96
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
THE DESIRE HAS TO COME FROM THE INDIVIDUAL. You can attempt to plant the seed but it can only grow if there is a desire.
You can't argue with that.

However the growing can be hard work. The attitude of some people in "the hobby" is the Herbicide that repeatedly knocks back the sprout, until it withers and dies.

Happens practically every day on here!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #97
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
Sad to say the local Model A club as an organization has taken little notice of this young fellow. However the benefit from joining was that a few dedicated Model A'ers stepped up and offered their mentoring. And that is the benefit of a young person joining a Model A club.
Cool story!

If everyone had tarred the young guy with the same brush (like most of the club seemingly did), that result would never have happened.

If you and your friends hadn't stepped up, chances are he'd be driving something VERY different - like a hot rod, or a completely different brand - whatever club was most accepting and welcoming.

YOUR input was the fertiliser for the seed
Old 03-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #98
LopezCarguy

It us only my opinion, but who cares about youth..I will be dead and they will be selling my collection to highest bidder...
Old 03-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #99
bart78

From what Lopez says. Is a reason I have allways compared a lot of Model A owners to Corvette owners. I know a few that are real good guys. But I know more that are pretty useless when it comes to sharing any knowledge. And some that don't know a thing about them. But have a real pretty car.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #100
montanafordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LopezCarguy View Post
It us only my opinion, but who cares about youth..I will be dead and they will be selling my collection to highest bidder...
These cars are material things, and you can't take it with you when you leave this world, however respect for history, respecting your elders, and respecting one another are in many ways intertwined. I learned a lot from my grandfather and loved and respected him a great deal. I also feel this way about my parents because they took the time to share and educate me on their passions, and their values. My grandparents and parents also shared hard lessons learned, mistakes etc. hoping I would learn from them without experiencing those hardships, or to serve as encouragement when I was encountering my own difficulties. One of the many things my grandfather shared with me was his model A which I now own. I enjoy the car and take care of it in a sense as an homage and testament to the relationship we had. In fact my avatar picture is me driving his car the day of his funeral.

For all the work I have put into my grandfathers Model A as a labor of love I'd hate to see the car simply crushed or cut up into a sloppy, ill conceived attempt at fitting a popular image of that time. Sure its only a material thing and some day long from now it will return to dust like I will, but inspiring others to care for it and learn about the past is a noble thing IMO. In the end there is more at stake than just a car, but the relationships you might form along the way. THAT is a good reason to get youth involved. I'm considered a youngster around most of these circles at 33 and I'm grateful for the friendships I've already made with my local club and the help they've shown me. The journey with my Model A has turned into much more than I ever imagined.

As a side note Tomorrow is our annual Hubley Derby between our club (Gallopin Gerties in Tacoma WA) Vs. our neighbors to the north - The Evergreen A's. This has been one way to get youth involved but its also entertaining to see the inner 8 year old come out of grown men.

Last edited by montanafordman; 03-08-2014 at 01:46 AM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote