Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2019, 06:56 AM   #1
Mbetti

Default 62 Falcon V8 conversion

I read quite of few strings on this subject and I have a couple of my own to ask. Someone already started this project 10 years ago on this car. Going to be a semi mild 289.

I want to install a power dual brake master, heard I may have to notch towers, to aid I wanted to also add the bolt in export brace that go from the towers to the firewall. Does a person just burn those original ones off for this bolt in one?

There is an under engine brace in this car, is this original? See pic. Am I better off with the one sold for this conversion?

Thanks for any input.
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bar.jpg (66.8 KB, 33 views)
Mbetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #2
BW

Default Re: 62 Falcon V8 conversion

I would drill out the spot welds that hold them in.
BW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:46 AM   #3
Ford Freak

You will have to notch the shock tower for the brake booster conversion . I don't believe that lower engine brace is original . Looks like the aftermarket one I installed on my '65 Sprint .
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #4
Mbetti

That bar is all grungy like the whole car was in engine compartment, also was a small hole drilled in it for some reason. Unless it is from an original V8 car I don't know.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
Mbetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW View Post
I would drill out the spot welds that hold them in.
Thanks, I'll do that.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
rotorwrench

This link came from the HAMB. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...to-v8.1016101/

The small block 221 V8 went in the small Fairlanes & Meteors before they went into the Falcons. The 6 cylinder cars were lighter weight in a lot of ways. 1963 was an intro year for the SB V8 in Falcons & Comets. The V8 bodies have a lot of improvements to keep them from flexing too much.

The crossmember is likely an add on but you really will need to beef the front end up to take a V8. I'd look for a heavier member than that one or fabricate one.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
darrell

what kind of clearance do you have at the firewall.just wondering as i put a newer 200 in a 65 that came with the small bellhousing.everything was tight.not a good fit i figured i would have to cut the firewall to install a v8.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #8
Mbetti

Seems to be plenty of room at firewall, fits as good as any other V8 vehicle I've seen. Little tight for exhaust.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:00 PM   #9
Alaska Jim

sbf into early falcons was a common swap. use all the components from a v8 model falcon, or 65-66 mustang, including the suspension to get the 5 lug suspension. v8 falcons are tight , but are a bolt in with the right combination of parts.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #10
rotorwrench

They put torque boxes and had heavier steel in the construction of the V8 cars. That is something that would be hard to take from a V8 body. It would have to be reinforced other ways to get it up to snuff but it can be done. Plenty of Folks have fabricated their own mods to beef up a 6-cylinder car for a V8 conversion.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #11
Alaska Jim

rotorwrench, that is true, I had forgotten about that. I swapped a v8 out of a Falcon Ranchero, and put it and a C-4 into a 70 Maverick that was originally a 6 cyl. car. . It worked out well, but I never gave the torque boxes a thought.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:33 PM   #12
flatrod

That cross brace does not belong there. It won't work with a V8 at all, and I'm pretty sure you can't get the inline 6 to work with it either. It looks like you still have 6 cyl steering, and the fuel line will need to be kicked to the outside of the frame, brought up to the front of the tower, to allow the v8 to go in there. They are tight but you can get headers in there with everything else. Its been 40 years since I played with Falcon stuff. But it all fits!! Somewhere I think I still have a tunnel piece once the floor is cut for the shifter. I do have trail housing for the front shifted Falcon trans. Fits all top loaders.
flatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:58 AM   #13
datac

Somewhere I have an magazine article from '61 with a lovely Y-block stuffed in a brand new Falcon. I've had a few Windsor-powered Falcons, but I always thought a 312 in an early car would be very cool.
datac is offline   Reply With Quote