Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
Sal

Default 289 ford flywheel measurement

I'm working on a '65 Mustang 289 cu. in. with my friend. He purchased an after market flywheel and a used 6 bolt bell housing. The car is going to run a borg/warner T10. We mounted the engine on a run stand, installed the starter and tried to start it. The starter spins, the Bendix comes out but misses engaging the flywheel by about 3/4 of an inch to the side of it.
The flywheel is 13 1/4 inch in diameter, is this wrong? Can some one tell me if that measurement is good or not. Or is there another bellhousing that we need for this. Thank You
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: 289 ford flywheel measurement

Maybe this will help-

Quote:
Tech Tip: If you have a 1965-1966 Mustang with an original 160 tooth flex-plate/flywheel the 157 tooth can be used as a replacement as long as you have a 10.5 in bolt circle and are using the "small" bell-housing. The small bell-housing is typically aluminum, the larger 164 tooth is typically cast iron. The 164 tooth flex-plate/flywheel can NOT be used as replacement for the 160.

You go with the number of teeth on your ring gear.

SOURCE- https://www.cjponyparts.com/flywheel...5-1968/p/MTF1/

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
flatrod

Default Re: 289 ford flywheel measurement

There are two different starters for the small block, one for automatic and one for manual. The manual is 3/8 deep and should have a hole in the block plate about 4 1/8. The auto is 3/4 deep and a hole about 4 1/16. I have just changed the nose of the starters to make it work when I have both.
flatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
flatrod

Rereading your post, it sounds to me you have a 164 tooth bellhousing and a 157 tooth flywheel. All the early 289's I played with had the 157 tooth flywheels/ flexplates. Any casting numbers on the bellhousing?
flatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
Sal

Hey Flatrod, I could not find any casting numbers on the bell housing. I'll have to get the engine out of the run stand next weekend and do a tooth count. The bell housing is aluminum, Kultulz says it should be correct for the 157 tooth flywheel. Thank both of You for your help. After I do the tooth count next weekend I'll let you know what I found
Old 07-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
rotorwrench

Some have small casting numbers C5DA prefix part number on the back side of where the starter mounts. These are for the later butterfly pattern super T-10 and 6-bolt blocks. I believe they are 157-tooth types. I think the C5AA part prefix bell housing was for the larger 164 tooth. I think they were for 11-inch clutch set ups. They had casting mark numbers on the outer rim of the engine flange.

The old 5-bolt block types were likely a C3 part number and would have had the old narrow Borg Warner pattern like T-85 & early T-10 transmissions had.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:03 AM   #7
KULTULZ

Post Re: 289 ford flywheel measurement

Here is some TECH info to help you along-

- http://www.mustangtek.com/sidebyside...wheelsize.html

- https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...teresting.html

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
Sal

Thank You for the help Guys. We located another bell housing and we're swapping it in this coming weekend.