Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
lenmissy

Default maaco paint job.

Any one used maaco for paint job on there ride.Thinking of trying them.
lenmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
cmbrucew

Default Re: maaco paint job.

Keep in mind the "Paint" today is not the same as what it was just a few years ago.
Thank you EPA.
Also paint can be guaranteed for five years, but the body work only one year.
Bruce
Old 01-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
rotorwrench

You really do get what you pay for. Nothing has changed in that respect. Quality work takes time and expensive finish products. Quick production work saves time but has been proven not to hold up as well as methodical techniques that preserve the metal better and under harsher conditions. Quick production shops cut every corner they can and generally use the least expensive filling and finishing products that they can get. There are some quality paint suppliers and there are some that aren't so good.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
38 Ford Pickup

I used Maaco year ago on my 1950 F-2. I had it all ready for them. It was a quick flip for a customer so the $400 charge was a good price and the job they did was just fine.

The customer did not want to spend the money on an expensive paint job..
38 Ford Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
B-O-B

Just watched undercover boss last night & it was about Macco. Seems they have a new CEO & he is building up the business with better quality work & not taking short cuts. Cannot vouch for the paint tho. Looked good on the tube. I would be tempted to try them for a driver.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
V12Bill

Materials for a quality paint job can cost $400 not counting the labor. If you want a Maaco paint job to be half good, you have to do a lot of the work yourself. Remove as much chrome and trim as you can and sand the old paint good with 320 grit sand paper and wash the car down good with dishwashing soap to remove the grit and old wax. Usually Maaco painters are fairly good. Who else gets to paint 5 or 6 cars a day?
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:51 AM   #7
jrhaelig

Funny - the president of MAACO was on Undercover Boss just last night.

Mine came with a black "done in the barn" job. It's very thick paint from the 60's or 70's and it buffed up pretty well for driver.

I know a guy who did a '50 shoebox in white through MAACO and it looked OK.

Point being I guess that it depends on what you want in the end. Get it done and use it - or - take it apart, prep it, run out of money, get the money, prep it again, paint it, run out of money, get the money, assemble a really nice car, worry about it.

I suppose it would make a difference if someone here can help you choose a paint and you can spec that paint for the job.
1963 Lincoln Continental
1939 Buick
jrhaelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
the cooch

My '60s car has a Maaco job from the late 80's going strong. Color was not matched real well and shows at door sills etc. and has some runs but at a glance it's actually really pretty cause it's a bright, light blue. We give it a scrub with comet every spring and add new wax and hand buff. Excellent for the grocery getter that folks love to hit with their Beemer doors in the parking lot. Not sure I'd go there for black though... Chris
the cooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
Kurt in NJ

Each Maaco will be different, and next month it may change, the local Maaco here has a good paint sprayer, but bad tapers this month
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #10
Old Henry

Maaco painted Old Henry over 7 years ago. I was very satisfied then and still am after 7 years. I've been back twice for collision repairs and still satisfied. They did the body work too. I'm happy.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #11
Ross F-1

The quality at MAACO varies tremendously because they are a franchise. When I needed my truck painted I went over to look at the cars coming out of their shop here, and was astounded. One DD-type car they'd just painted for $600 had been masked by a blind man, if at all. Orange peel, fisheyes, you name it. I would be surprised if they'd even washed the car first. Their more expensive packages weren't much better. But since then another MAACO opened across town, and the work coming out of that shop looks really good for the price. It all depends on the guy holding the gun, and that can vary month-to-month.

As mentioned, at the low end you aren't going to get good materials from anyone.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #12
malpais

As some of the other posters have said, seems to me it depends on what you're doing with the car.

Mine is completely disassembled and I wanted both sides of everything painted. Didn't want to take pieces in one at a time to have that done.

I'm not a body guy, and want to drive my PU. What I did ain't perfect, but looks ok.

I know the paint is good quality, the prep is good, both inside and outside of all parts are painted, and I am not ashamed to take it out.

Years ago, I painted VW bugs and drove them everywhere. Would not be proud of them now. Newer paints seem to me to be easier, shinier, cleaner that the old ones. If doing it yourself, buy a good gun. Follow directions. Use right hardner/activator. Set up good light. USE SAFE equipment and REPIRATORS.

If your Macco has decent paint applicators, I would consider a couple of coats youself, then final coat applied by an "expert".

Gordon
Old 01-03-2015, 11:54 AM   #13
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
Each Maaco will be different, and next month it may change, the local Maaco here has a good paint sprayer, but bad tapers this month
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
The quality at MAACO varies tremendously because they are a franchise. When I needed my truck painted I went over to look at the cars coming out of their shop here, and was astounded. One DD-type car they'd just painted for $600 had been masked by a blind man, if at all. Orange peel, fisheyes, you name it. I would be surprised if they'd even washed the car first. Their more expensive packages weren't much better. But since then another MAACO opened across town, and the work coming out of that shop looks really good for the price. It all depends on the guy holding the gun, and that can vary month-to-month.

As mentioned, at the low end you aren't going to get good materials from anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
Materials for a quality paint job can cost $400 not counting the labor. If you want a Maaco paint job to be half good, you have to do a lot of the work yourself. Remove as much chrome and trim as you can and sand the old paint good with 320 grit sand paper and wash the car down good with dishwashing soap to remove the grit and old wax. Usually Maaco painters are fairly good. Who else gets to paint 5 or 6 cars a day?
It really pays to know the shop owner and manager. Watch the work come and go. Do what you can for prep and let it be known you'll pay for what's needed, but have no interest in short cuts. As far as just relying on a Name walking in and dropping off your keys, there will be disappointments.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #14
Stanley

Maaco is just another franchise shop with the ... "get them in, get them out quick... make money" type attitude. Paint jobs will vary from one shop to another. Best thing to do is talk to people who have work done at that particular shop. If half the people were not satisfied ... your gambling.... We have a Maaco locally here. Can sum up their work in one word.... HORRIBLE ....
Stanley. .............
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #15
51 MERC-CT

Know someone who had a '41 pickup painted by them, was amazed how well it came out.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #16
Marv

Does any Barn Members remember the Earl Shieb any car any color $19.95? Some of his jobs were not realy that bad for the price. LOL
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #17
blucar

I generally have a big distrust for most car painters.. Body repairmen generally also fit the same mold.
I can honestly say that I can count the good paint jobs I have had done in the past sixty plus years on a couple of fingers..
My '36 was repainted in 1961 for $60. material and labor by the local Studebaker garage.. No metal work, and I took off all of the trim, bumpers, etc.
The local Maaco shop has done some very good paint jobs for several of my neighbors and friends. I know several guys that work on old cars, they generally have cars that they are "flipping" painted by Maaco..
Old 01-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #18
19Fordy

This may sound crazy, but have you checked with local car dealership autobody shops
to see what it would cost to get you vehicle painted. I did ,and a Ford dealership painted my 1993 Ford Ranger the factory color with PPG base coat clear coat for $1300 (including the paint)2 years ago. I removed the bumpers, lights, wipers and as much other trim as possible. They did it as a "side job" since the body shop was not that busy and they didn't want to lay anyone off. Turned out great.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #19
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Does any Barn Members remember the Earl Shieb any car any color $19.95? Some of his jobs were not realy that bad for the price. LOL
My dad had his '53 Olds painted by them for about that in '59. He put a fifth of bourbon under the front seat when he took it in, it was widely known that would get some extra attention by the prep boys. He parked the car at work in Gary IN near the steel mills, and no paint job would last more than a couple years anyway, so The Earl was just the ticket.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #20
39topless

I've had good luck with them for a "driver" '40 fdoor. If you do a good job of prep, you're ok.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote