Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
Jim M

Default Forum search question

Is there a way to search the forum for words. For instance if I search for "door hinge" I get every post that has the word "door" and all the posts that have the word "hinge". I must be doing something wrong as I have tried putting the words in quotes and also putting the + sign in but nothing works?? Thanks
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:30 AM   #2
Randy in ca

Default Re: Forum search question

Try using ("door hinge").

Also, in the Advanced Search section you can choose to search either the contents of all posts or else just in the thread title which can significantly narrow things down.

Searching for specifics would be a whole lot easier to accomplish if posters would stop and think about using a title that gives a good indication of what the thread is all about.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
Dick Steinkamp

If I search with the phrase "door hinge" in quotes, I get only those topics, threads, posts with the phrase "door hinge" somewhere in each topic, thread, post that the search returns

Try this test...

Click on SEARCH, then ADVANCED SEARCH

Enter "door hinge" in the KEYWORD(S) window

Immediately below that window click on TITLES ONLY

In the SEARCH IN FORUMS block, click on MODEL A under GENERAL DISCUSSION

At the bottom, click on SHOW RESULTS AS THREADS

Click SEARCH NOW

All the search results will be topic titles that have the phrase "door hinge" in the title

Now change SEARCH TITLES ONLY to SEARCH ENTIRE POSTS. Leave THREADS checked at the bottom.

Somewhere in each thread returned will be the phrase "door hinge". In the 4th topic down (1928 Phaeton Cowl), the phrase "door hinge" can be found in post #7.

You can try again, but this time SHOW RESULTS AS POSTS. Somewhere in the title or post will be the phrase "door hinge". Scroll down and you can see the same post under the 1928 Phaeton Cowl topic that you found with the above search. I never use the SHOW RESULTS AS POSTS. That search returns way to many results and they are generally out of context.

Searching by TOPIC is the best. However, as Randy indicates, too many of us do not put words in the title that would help a search on topics. Titles like NEED HELP, or LOOK WHAT I FOUND, or BIG TROUBLE are pretty much worthless.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
Jim M

OMG Thanks sooo much guys!!! Got exactly what I wanted in just a few seconds.
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
7_Zero

Instead of using the forum search feature you can use Google instead. Just go to Google and put in what you are searching for followed by site:fordbarn.com, or you can do fordbarn.com followed by what you are searching for.

door hinge site:fordbarn.com
or
fordbarn.com door hinge

I find that I get much better results doing this vs using the forum search feature. One disadvantage is that you will have to sort through V8 and Model T topics as well.
7_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote