Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
Johnnydidd

Default Just had my automatic transmission

Just had my automatic transmission rebuilt it took about 4 weeks to get it done, they replaced the clutches, band, starter ring and resealed it. drives good happy with so far. The question I have at what speed will the passing gear not kick in?
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
oldave57

Default Re: Just had my automatic transmission

My 1957 Fairlane (292 engine) will downshift at speeds up to around 62-65, but requires a real stomp on the pedal at anything over around 60 MPH. The attached table is from a 1957 Fordomatic manual showing the max. throttle downshift speeds which are dependent on engine size and differential ratio to some degree. Most of the speeds in the table are between 60 to 68 so that should give you some idea of where your Merc should shift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FordoShift2.jpg (93.3 KB, 18 views)
oldave57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
BN

It will depend on the kick down linkage adjustment. This is the arm running from the throttle linkage to the kick down arm on the transmission. You can lengthen it or shorten it by turning the threaded clevis on the upper end. You can always pull the selector into "low" which will activate 2nd gear as long as you are above 20 mph or so. Under 20 mph or so (also depending on the arm adjustment) it will downshift into 1st gear.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
Johnnydidd

thanks guys
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:28 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

I strongly suggest you start by getting your hands on the chart for your engine/trans like oldDave57 shows in his reply, then do a normal driving test comparing your experience with the specs given in the chart. If your transmission is shifting from intermediate to third gear at a speed within the range given in the chart, I would NOT mess with the passing gear link. If it does not shift within the range given in the chart, proceed to re-adjust the passing gear link per the directions given in the Ford-O-Matic shop manual (or whatever trans that is).
Now road test again and it should shift at the proper speed. Now test the passing gear and see if it downshifts when you stomp on the gas pedal.
Don't go willy-nilly screwing around with the passing gear adjustment without any reference to what is right. You can easily get the adjustment so far off that it can damage the transmission !
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #6
Hot Rod Reverend

The shop manual should show how to get a "baseline" using a 1/4" rod as I recall. Then you go from there. You definitely want factory default settings before you begin making incremental adjustments.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:48 PM   #7
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Reverend View Post
The shop manual should show how to get a "baseline" using a 1/4" rod as I recall. Then you go from there. You definitely want factory default settings before you begin making incremental adjustments.
That's exactly right HRR. I think the shop manual calls it a drift pin, but I have used a long screwdriver that fits snugly through the two holes in the manifold bellcrank. So if you don't have a pin, maybe you've got something out there in the garage that will work just fine as long as it is of sufficient length to go all the way thru the two holes and fits snugly in the holes (not too sloppy).
The adjustment information you need is in the Ford-O-Matic shop manual, NOT the car shop manual.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:55 AM   #8
JeffB2

If you take it upon yourself to change the adjustment will the shop still stand behind the rebuild ? Maybe you should be asking them first.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:47 AM   #9
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post
If you take it upon yourself to change the adjustment will the shop still stand behind the rebuild ? Maybe you should be asking them first.
I agree that's a valid question in this case, since it sounds like he took the whole car in to a transmission shop for the repair work. Maybe it would be best to take the car back and have them adjust it properly according to Fomoco specs.
The transmission shops charge an arm and leg for transmission removal and re-installation, so I do that myself and just bring the transmission to the shop in the bed of a pickup truck. Besides, I bet these guys I dealt with didn't even know there was a passing gear link adjustment, but since I know what I'm doing, I always did my own adjustment and everything worked out fine (unbeknownst to the transmission mechanics).