Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
boo

Default price for running chassis???

a friend is going to build a hotrod for a guy. it is a running ,driving 1930 coupe, he is going to just take the body off, leave hood, rad. fenders r. bds, etc. its a real decent car.what should i pay for these giblets???
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard
Default Re: price for running chassis???

Buy the whole car and find him a Coupe body!
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:18 PM   #3
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Tell him about Gibbon Fiberglass bodies, then buy the whole thing.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
a friend is going to build a hotrod for a guy. it is a running ,driving 1930 coupe, he is going to just take the body off, leave hood, rad. fenders r. bds, etc. its a real decent car.what should i pay for these giblets???
Dos he have no conscience? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:21 PM   #5
denis4x4

Does it include the title?
Old 12-21-2016, 01:40 AM   #6
pooch

Here in OZ, the body structure from the firewall back would be half of the whole rest of the car.

Just trivia to you over there .

We have plenty of running chassis with hood.rad.fenders etc , but not many bodies.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:36 AM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Here in OZ, the body structure from the firewall back would be half of the whole rest of the car.

Just trivia to you over there .

We have plenty of running chassis with hood.rad.fenders etc , but not many bodies.
Pooch,
Things must be different up there. I've never seen a running chassis available here. I'd like to build up a Plumber's ute sometime on a '28 or 29 chassis.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:43 AM   #8
pooch

Synchro, maybe you are not looking hard enough.

I dropped into your place 2 years ago, when I was delivering a complete 28 running/driving 28 chassis with rusty cowl and bonnet . to a dude in Melbourne who bought it off me for $4000 on ebay.

You don't remember ?

I was also right beside you at Bendigo this year while you were talking to the guy with the silver T speedster.

I waited and waited and when you turned around and looked at me and did not recognize me, I rode off (on my solar powered swap meet scooter ).

In 2012 I bought a very nice complete running chassis with whitewalls, a USA fresh import which the body was wanted by a rodder, I got the rest for $3500 .

This chassis is now under my present pickup .

cheers
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #9
ronn

with title- in the 2-3k range. If the chassis is exceptional, a bit more.

If fenders, etc arent so good, a bit less..............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:35 AM   #10
Kevin in NJ

It is worth what you feel like paying.

Now if you want to quantify the value of the chassis you must ask lots of questions.

How usable are the parts on the chassis? Running does not imply rebuildable or usable when it comes to early Ford chassis. Is there history on the rebuilding of the parts? How fast does the car safely run? Keep in mind a properly restored chassis runs 60 MPH no problem and stops great. If it does not have shocks that function and it does not bounce off the road above 25 MPH then you know the springs are dead. Odds are real good the chassis is not as good as you would think.

Usually all the parts are in various condition of wore out so you have to consider core value of the parts.

As a idea of costs. I can no almost all of the chassis work in house between the tools my brother and I have. We are talking building a car back to factory specs. I have expensive special tools like the KRW tooling and Barrett Brake Doktor and so on. I expect to have spent close to $15,000 in rebuilding my chassis. That includes a bunch of NOS parts bought for less then repro parts.

So then what is the chassis worth if it is going to cost you $15k to make it back to factory, not JS specs?

Perspective.

Now you have a set of fenders and other parts to consider. If they are clean unrepaired nice bead fenders then there is a bunch of value there.

Also the title. Keep in mind some states have rules about titles and rods. Here in NJ they are looking for that and some rods had their titles pulled and force owners to get rod titles. Often if you have the chassis and a receipt you might be able to get a title especially if the other person has not move yet to do so. Just get a receipt for the engine and frame numbers. If the other guy goes for a title he will have to show them stuff he stamped and that does not go over well.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #11
boo

what i was going to build is a wood buckboard type runabout. another friend has donated a 29 cowl, will make a hood to fit. am running out of MANGO seasons to start looking for parts to build one, this, if runs like it is suposed too , will save me a lot of time. TIME is important anymore, you cant buy it at a swapmeet.would spend about that much to rebuild an engine that i have. used to buy running cars for $15 in 50's and cut them down , things have changed...
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #12
Kevin in NJ

Well you need to get a 30-31 cowl to go with the frame, radiator hood. They are different and will not match up to the 29 cowl.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote