Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Rainmaker Ron

Default The ultimate 25 cent easy on flag holder.

Model A people are creative. Over the years I have made a point of observing the variety of home made flag holders. Springs, wood blocks, tape, hose clamps, pipes, you name it. This is a challenge! Who can out design this idea for quick, easy and cheap? It also does not mar or modify the car. These electric fence brackets are about 25 cents each by the bag.
Rainmaker Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flagfencebkt.jpg (193.9 KB, 625 views)
File Type: jpg flagplasfrt.jpg (39.1 KB, 604 views)
File Type: jpg flagplasrear.jpg (40.3 KB, 633 views)
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Clydes 31 P/U

Default Re: The ultimate 25 cent easy on flag holder.

What I use is the same principle but use 3/8 eye bolt, piece of oak wood lath and a wing nut. flag stick goes through the the eye bolt hole in front of bumper bars then lath behind the bumper bars and lastly the wing nut, no metal touches the bumper bars just wood. Just tighten up to pinch the flag stick to the bumper bars. I have longer pieces of lath if I want to put the flags on my side boards. The fence wire holder is pretty darn slick though, Clyde
Clydes 31 P/U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
Rainmaker Ron

Good one Clyde, I think your idea is cheaper and readily available at any hardware store! Do you put the wood lath on the front or rear of the bumper? I am thinking of the wing nut snaging a leg if in front.
Rainmaker Ron
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Clydes 31 P/U

Hi Ron The flag goes in front and the lath and wing nut behind the bumper bars. Should have said the eye in the eye bolt is 3/8 or 1/2 not the bolt size that is 1/4.
Clydes 31 P/U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Model A Speedster

Take one flag with wooden dowel for a post. Put a rubber band around the post, put the post behind the front (or rear) bumper close to the mounting bracket. Loop the rubber band down the front of the bumper and then around the bottom of the wooden dowel. Not tight enough? Loop the rubber band around again. Thick rubber bands work the best - the kind the post office uses. Cheap. Simple.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
coupe1942

I went to Tractor Supply Company the other day to obtain a couple of electric fence post holders as shown by the OP to this thread. Unfortunately, they don't sell just single ones and only had the package at my local TSC (I have been told that at other TSC stores they have a bin of singles). About 6 bucks for a pack of 25, so I am thinking that handing out some of these as freebie flag holders at a club meet or parade would be a nice thing to do as a gift. They require no tools to put into place on the bumper, but just the small flag.

I found this to be a great idea and I also thought that a good gift idea for a club event is to go to WalMart and in the Sports Section there you can find these little headlights that work wonderfully well for when your trying to do work inside the cab or under the hood. They are attached with a headband and the plastic piece will snap out to adjust the light as you choose. For a buck apiece, you won't go wrong when you need some extra light handy.

I just found this to be a nice little DIY flag holder project, myself. NOw to get back to working on that driver's side headlight of my truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 399.jpg (83.1 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg 380.jpg (123.1 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg 381.jpg (43.6 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg 394.jpg (54.0 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg 384.JPG (128.1 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg 395.jpg (101.2 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg 400.jpg (74.6 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by coupe1942; 07-05-2016 at 04:45 PM.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker Ron View Post
Model A people are creative. Over the years I have made a point of observing the variety of home made flag holders. Springs, wood blocks, tape, hose clamps, pipes, you name it. This is a challenge! Who can out design this idea for quick, easy and cheap? It also does not mar or modify the car. These electric fence brackets are about 25 cents each by the bag.
Rainmaker Ron
You must admit it is not very classy looking. Better to buy the real thing at Snyders. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:53 PM   #8
tootsie

I do the same but have two minor modifications, I have a block glued on the bottom of the lath that projects out forward of the bumper bar on the front with a small recess to accept the bottom of the flag pole (think of an L shape). I also use a hex nut and carry a wrench after someone used the wingnut assembly to 'borrow' the flag long term.
tootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #9
Cool Hand Lurker

OK, good idea for sure. But c'mon, a bright yellow splash on a black fendered Model A Ford? See if they sell black ones and if not get out the black spray can. Or maybe silver to match the bumper.

And... you can hook up the electric fencer while you are at it to keep away the loose fingers. heh heh heh....
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:46 AM   #10
coupe1942

I have never seen black ones anywhere and I have no clue as to them being available or not.

I did remove my initial comments about using Krylon gloss black for plastic if you did not like the yellow color. I used it myself on one set, but I was not impressed by its adherence to the plastic. After letting the gloss black paint dry for a couple of hours, it peeled right off when I screwed down the round plastic ring to the other part. The Krylon stuff is supposedly made to adhere to plastic, but I had no luck with it doing very well on these parts. There may be a better quality plastic paint, but it is not such an issue to me to leave the part as is. I have seen much, much worse things sticking out of a Model A bumper in the past. :-)
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #11
Cool Hand Lurker

OK, yellow is good.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #12
DougVieyra

The ultimate 25 cent easy on flag holder :

- Duct Tape

_ O.K. - Post number 5 beats the Duct Tape method; and is the 'Winner' of this contest !
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #13
MrBruce

Ron, these are great. I have some where we took Chevy rod bearings and braised a tube and nut and then bent the rod bearings over around the bumper. Painted black and in the corner of each bumper they are hard to even see. I have a new set, but will have to take a picture of them. I like yours much better and will see if Tractor Supply has a bag tomorrow, thanks for sharing this neat item. I will put it in our news letter.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:00 PM   #14
Willie Krash

Around here people use a spring with hooks on both ends, clip on the backside of the bumper bars and insert flag in the spring. About a buck a piece.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #15
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Krash View Post
Around here people use a spring with hooks on both ends, clip on the backside of the bumper bars and insert flag in the spring. About a buck a piece.
A good idea for sure! Wayne
Old 07-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #16
Jeff P. / MN

Nine zip ties (about 3 cents apiece) were used to hold all these flags on for our local 4th of July parade......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.5 KB, 136 views)
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:52 PM   #17
Bill in NJ

I just bought a bag yesterday at tractor supply. Went to install them today with a flag and could not get it to fit. Was wondering if my repro bumper might be thicker then the original or ? Any ideas ? I did not try all 50 of them. Thanks in advance for your help !
Bill in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #18
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in NJ View Post
I just bought a bag yesterday at tractor supply. Went to install them today with a flag and could not get it to fit. Was wondering if my repro bumper might be thicker then the original or ? Any ideas ? I did not try all 50 of them. Thanks in advance for your help !
For the price of fifty you could have bought a classy flag holder instead of one people laugh at. Wayne
Old 09-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #19
MrBruce

You could try the back slot? I used the front slot, but there is another slot that the flag will go into. The big screw front piece is sometimes hard to get started even?
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #20
1929 essex

Try testers black model paint, works fine.
1929 essex is offline   Reply With Quote