Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
davehc

Default 29 Roadster For Sale

Saw this on another site I visit , thought someone might like to check it out . I have no connection to it . Nice looking " A " .
https://www.enginads.com/classifieds.../153371/cat/42
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #2
JBill

Default Re: 29 Roadster For Sale

Not many details in the photo, but if it really is in "great" condition I'd think it's worth more than $15,000. Yes? No?
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
Marshall V. Daut

Well, someone's gotta' say it: Yet another innocent '28-29 roadster turned into someone's idea of a 1930-31 Deluxe Roadster, with the regrettable addition of virtually every chrome goodie possible slapped on it. If someone wants a '30-31 Deluxe Roadster, then for Heaven's sake BUY a '30-31 Deluxe Roadster instead of trying to turn a pumpkin into a prince's carriage for Cinderella. '28-29 roadsters left in their natural state have their own charm for us guys who also appreciate the more antiquated look of the '28-29 Model A's. No matter how many chrome trinkets or whitewall tires are thrown on a '28-29 roadster, it will NEVER approach a '30-31 Deluxe Roadster in appearance. Someone once posted years ago on this very subject that putting lipstick on a pig does not make her a homecoming queen. Hmmm...somehow that didn't come out right this time.
I know, I know... I can't change the world, especially the Model A world. 'Sorry for the tirade, but this hits my hot button. For you guardians of personal liberty in the crowd, yes - it's the owner's car and he can do what he wants with it. BUT - he's only a temporary custodian. We all are. The person who did this to a poor little '28-29 roadster will be an owner only for a short while in the overall scheme of things before it comes into someone else's possession, as all our cars will do someday. Maybe most of the "deluxed" features on this car can be removed to de-clutter its basic simplistic beauty, except the cowl lights, whose drilled holes in the lower cowl will be a difficult and expensive repair.
I fear that someday unadorned '28-29 Model A's will be scarce as hen's teeth (to coin a phrase) because the majority of them will have been "deluxed" by misguided owners.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #4
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Well, someone's gotta' say it: Yet another innocent '28-29 roadster turned into someone's idea of a 1930-31 Deluxe Roadster, with the regrettable addition of virtually every chrome goodie possible slapped on it. If someone wants a '30-31 Deluxe Roadster, then for Heaven's sake BUY a '30-31 Deluxe Roadster instead of trying to turn a pumpkin into a prince's carriage for Cinderella. '28-29 roadsters left in their natural state have their own charm for us guys who also appreciate the more antiquated look of the '28-29 Model A's. No matter how many chrome trinkets or whitewall tires are thrown on a '28-29 roadster, it will NEVER approach a '30-31 Deluxe Roadster in appearance. Someone once posted years ago on this very subject that putting lipstick on a pig does not make her a homecoming queen. Hmmm...somehow that didn't come out right this time.
I know, I know... I can't change the world, especially the Model A world. 'Sorry for the tirade, but this hits my hot button. For you guardians of personal liberty in the crowd, yes - it's the owner's car and he can do what he wants with it. BUT - he's only a temporary custodian. We all are. The person who did this to a poor little '28-29 roadster will be an owner only for a short while in the overall scheme of things before it comes into someone else's possession, as all our cars will do someday. Maybe most of the "deluxed" features on this car can be removed to de-clutter its basic simplistic beauty, except the cowl lights, whose drilled holes in the lower cowl will be a difficult and expensive repair.
I fear that someday unadorned '28-29 Model A's will be scarce as hen's teeth (to coin a phrase) because the majority of them will have been "deluxed" by misguided owners.
Marshall
So what if most/all of these "add on's" happened in the 30's so they were all on there when the present owner bought it and he just restored what he bought?. Unlikely yes, but not impossible. Point being, does it make any difference if the car had add ons by the original owner that liked what he saw coming out on the 30-31 models and rather than trade, chose to upgrade the car he had in, say 1933 as opposed to someone doing it 3 years ago?. What about if the car was a basket case found in an abandoned field with many of the original parts missing but someone decided to resurrect it from the dead and chose to make it "deluxed". Yo post as if you KNOW it was a pristine roadster that someone addd trinkets to but it COULD have been saved from being channeled on deuce rails, SBC, fenderless, ratroded. This is exactly why I refrain from sharing pics of my cars and/or entering car shows. It's nobody else business what I do with MY cars and none of my business what others do with theirs. Your own post suggested that their are MORE people that prefer the cars to be tricked out than left plain sine so many are ending up that way. How would you feel if that majority belittled you for not "deluxeing" you cars?. I suspect you would tell them to mind their own business and that it is YOIUR car and you can do as you please.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:02 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Ditto what Marshall said. I also like my cars the way they left the factory.

"Someone once posted years ago on this very subject that putting lipstick on a pig does not make her a homecoming queen."
Sounds right to me. LOL
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:48 AM   #6
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Marshall
That is EXACTLY how I feel. My father used to call that "guilding the lilly".
Old 10-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #7
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

"Someone once posted years ago on this very subject that putting lipstick on a pig does not make her a homecoming queen."
Sounds right to me. LOL
I also agree, factory stock!

Maybe all the jewelry is the reason it’s priced like it is. My experience also has shown with past cars that have been dressed up, there mechanical condition is not equal to all the add on jewelry.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #8
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

Sounds right to me. LOL
That's not what Marshal said. There is a BIG difference in saying "I also like my cars the way they left the factory." and saying that everyone else should also leave THEIR cars the way they left the factory.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote