Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #1
CraigB

Default Install of 1932 sport coupe landau bars

My dad bought a wood kit years ago without holes for landau bars. Any measurements or insight into how to locate and drill holes in wood frame would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig
CraigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Install of 1932 sport coupe landau bars

I know zip about the 1932 Ford Sport Coupes but I do know the Model As. They had a metal brace (braced the rear bow) that the upper end of the bar attached to and a metal fitting that attached to the rear tack strip for the lower end of the bar to attach. Maybe one of the 1932 guys can come up with more info.

This link from the HAMB has a photo of the upper brace for the rear wood bow. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-sale.1048040/ I hope you can see the photos. If not, all you have to do is register there same as here since they are sister sites.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
deuce_roadster

A friend of mine had a 32 sport coupe and I think the Landeau irons bolted to a metal brace that is not in a regular 5w body. It was a long while ago and I might not be remembering that correctly. You might look in the 32 body book or DavidG might chime in.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #4
DavidG

Except for specific dimensions, the construction of the roof of a North American-bodied '32 sport coupe is identical to that of its Model A predecessors as shown in the first photo and illustration from the '32 body parts catalog (and in the photo on HAMB) and the upper attachments of the landau irons are to the forward end of the straps as indicated by rotorwrench above. The hole in the strap shows up well in the half-trimmed/half body-in- white Ford archives photo of a Model A sport coupe.

Also as indicated, the lower ends of the landau bars attach to chrome-plated steel studs about four or so inches long that are curved on their inside ends where they attach to wood belt rail as shown in the two next-to-last photos (ignore the modified rear window).

While I've had three B-50 sport coupes (a long time ago), I did not restore any of them and as a result I have few photos of details and no dimensions.

The last photo was taken in the spring of 1932 near the Louisville Assembly Plant; it's something to shoot for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 041.jpg (81.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 218.jpg (70.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 217.jpg (30.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 226.jpg (69.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 230.jpg (63.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 706.jpg (74.0 KB, 39 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote