Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Old Henry

Default How To Backflush 59A-B engine

The question was asked on the EFV8 site so I messed around with it and figured out this way to backflush the 59A-B engine. Don't know how much would apply to other engines but the method might be adapted.

Start with removing the thermostats. Need them out to flush out of both top and bottom of the block.

I already had a Prestone Flush N Fill T plumbed into the heater hose coming out of the right head:

I had already backflushed the engine once using this and was about to do it again when I realized that all this does is the right side since there's no connection between the two sides. So, I had to figure out a way to do both sides at the same time.

Here are the parts to make an adapter for the left side:

On the left is the left temperature sender that I removed to install the adapter. It is a 3/8" pipe thread. Next is a 3/8" nipple, then the adapter to 1/2" to receive the hose adapter that screws into the 1/2" adapter thus:

Prestone provides an adapter to hook up the hose to their T but it restricts the flow of water quite a bit so I just bought this one to hook the hose to it:

It's just a double female hose adapter that receives the male end of the hose and screws onto the male end of the Prestone T thus:

(Doesn't it bug you to see the thing cross threaded like this? No worries - I got it right after the picture was taken.)

Then screwed a second short hose to the left side:

Then screwed the other end of the short hoses to a valved Y to control flow thus (didn't really use the valves - just left them wide open. I'll use a non-valved Y next time):

Then I put an 11 gallon plastic rectangular storage bin the width of the radiator under it. This one was short enough I didn't even have to jack up the car. All the better to get the water to flow out the drain when it's time.

Then I turned on the water full blast and let 'er rip till the water ran clear which was well before the bin filled up.

After it was all clear, drained the water down low enough to disconnect the hoses and adapters, replaced the cap on the Prestone T and the temperature sender on the left side, added my coolant, ran till hot enough to pressure up for leak test, and was good to go. Total time 20-30 minutes.

Last edited by Old Henry; 11-16-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
thirt4

Default Re: How To Backflush 59A-B engine

Great idea! One question, would one of those "quick coupler" hose connectors work to hook the hoses up also or would the inside diameter be a little too small?
(In the interest of saving cross-threading and time, etc.)
thirt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #3
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirt4 View Post
Great idea! One question, would one of those "quick coupler" hose connectors work to hook the hoses up also or would the inside diameter be a little too small?
(In the interest of saving cross-threading and time, etc.)
Don't know about the quick connect apparatus. Have never used them. Would probably work on the left side since it's a pretty conventional connection. I just don't know whether there's a double female one for the right side. Sorry.

The inside diameter of the quick connect is not a concern since the pipe going into the head is only 3/8". That's the bottle neck in the system.

I'm not too concerned about the time it takes to screw the hoses on since I probably only do this every 5 years.

Last edited by Old Henry; 09-20-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
grumpys hot rods

Great Post, Thats somthing else on my to do list.
Thanks for posting
grumpys hot rods is offline   Reply With Quote