Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2016, 06:27 PM   #1
Jim in Wisconsin

Default distributor question

A friend just bought a 41 Merc, but it has what we think is a 38 Ford truck engine in it. The distributor has an extra "coupling" between it and the camshaft. I saw one of these on a 37 truck engine too, and couldn't figure out why it was in there. Is this something only done on truck motors? Is the cam shorter on them or what? It certainly wouldn't run without it, the shaft on the distributor wouldn't engage the cam.
thanks for any info on this
Jim S.
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
flatjack9

Default Re: distributor question

Which distributor is being used? Why do you think it is a 38 truck engine? It sounds like you have the short nose cam (42 - 48) with an early distributor, so you need the "button" to make them work.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #3
Jim in Wisconsin

He (the owner) had counter guy at a NAPA store check the part number on the cylinder heads and they said it was a truck engine - I don't know the part number but I could get it. He told me changed the oil and the drain plug was real big - like around two inches or so - the only drain plugs I've ever seen big like that were on tractor or truck motors.
The distrubutor is the type with two screws holding the coil - I think they are from 1937 - 1941. His didn't have the right coil, it had one of those adapter kits to use a more modern type coil. I have a bunch of distributor parts including a few of the tall looking 2 screw types that fit.
I can get his distributor to work just fine, but was curious about that button. I had never heard of the short nose cam - did they use the button from the factory or is this just a way of adapting a different dist. to these engines?
Jim S. (Sheboygan Falls area)
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #4
flatjack9

It was a way of adapting different distributors and cams. Not factory. The large drain plug is common. Cars as well as trucks.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:56 AM   #5
Terry,OH

41 Merc should have the 2" hex oil drain plug. You can not tell what engine you have from the heads. I am not sure, but believe the 99T head is correct for the 41 Merc. They are USUALLY marked in the cast iron in large numbers and letters.

Last edited by Terry,OH; 10-20-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #6
FireEngineMike

99T heads are truck units with lower compression ratio to reduce knock under heavy cargo.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote