Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
Jim in Wisconsin

Default new made starter switches

The starter switch in my 33 V8 is worn out. I took it apart and the center post bottoms out before the copper strip hits the two buttons. I could fix it if I have to, but getting a new one would be easier for sure. I see Gaslight shows them, Mac's doesn't. Has anyone tried one of these new made ones - are they any good? A six volt starter takes a lot of current and if it's made "light duty" I don't want it.
Thanks
Jim S.
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: new made starter switches

Why not try to find a new old-stock starter button? I'm sure they're still out there. You could try posting in the classified section.

I have a new reproduction starter button in my 1936 sedan. I ordered it from Mac's about three years ago. It was made in India and the threads are metric, but it works ... for now.
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:43 PM   #3
koates

Hi there, Its the foot operated starter switch mounted on the steering box not a button as suggested above. Always NOS switches on ebay. Try Michael Driskell, (615) 293-9985. (Third Gen Automotive). He will have a NOS 33-34 original switch which is the only way to go. 33-34 switches are different to 35-36 switches. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
Jim in Wisconsin

Yes Kevin, it's a foot operated switch that handles all the current, there is no relay used.
I don't much like ebay, but I looked. There are some on there, and for a lot less then the reproduction ones.
I took mine apart today and fixed it - spent way too much time on it! I replaced the moveable contact with a copper contact with actual silver tips and made a new shaft. Maybe this one will last another 30 -40 years (longer than I will last). I like the challange of fixing the old stuff - never throw any old Ford parts away!!
Jim S.
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #5
russcc

Right on, fix or make what you can, and get the satisfaction of it being done right, by you.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #6
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Wisconsin View Post
Yes Kevin, it's a foot operated switch that handles all the current, there is no relay used.
I don't much like ebay, but I looked. There are some on there, and for a lot less then the reproduction ones.
I took mine apart today and fixed it - spent way too much time on it! I replaced the moveable contact with a copper contact with actual silver tips and made a new shaft. Maybe this one will last another 30 -40 years (longer than I will last). I like the challange of fixing the old stuff - never throw any old Ford parts away!!
Jim S.
If you buy a spare one and carry it in the car, your old one will never need to be replaced.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #7
cas3

never done a 33-34, but in the model T world, the new switches are junk. you did the right thing fixing the original
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:02 PM   #8
35fordtn

ONLY use a NOS or Old Replacement.. They will last you a lifetime.. and from a personal experience, NEVER media blast them.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote