Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #1
cannondalerob

Default Need help with Brakes

OK, I need some helps with Brakes on my 36 5-W. I am converting my wide-5's to 16" steelies. I am all set with the Front. I have a pair of 40 rear drums that the hubs are good, but the drums are shot. I have a swedge cutter, so I am going to separate the hubs from the drums. So here is the question. If I buy replacement drums, do they have to be swedged back to the original hub, or can I just run the drum over the hub, with the wheel and lug nuts holding the drum in place? It is very confusing what the manufactures of these drums say. Any guidance that could be offered is most appreciated!
cannondalerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #2
CSArno

Default Re: Need help with Brakes

It is very confusing for sure!
I replaced 2 drums for a brake conversion.
I used new USA made drums from Joblot automotive in NY. They have wheel studs that are knurled on the shoulder so after you get your old drums and wheel studs off, the knurled studs hold in the hub only which allows the drum to be removed without taking the hub off the spindle.

Be careful cutting the swedge off the studs. The brake drum is only about 3/16 off an inch there. I tried not to go quite all the way through the drum then I dropped it hub side down on a plank on the cement floor and the hub popped right out. Look at the studs after you get the drum off and make sure you get all the bulged (swedged) portion of the stud off before you drive it out of the hub and support the back of the hub. Vise works good. The studs should come out easily with a few taps of a small hammer. Mine basically fell out once they moved.
Here is a pic of the new studs in the hub.

Good luck,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.5 KB, 27 views)
CSArno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
CSArno

I forgot to mention that if you use the original type stud and don't have them swedged on, you run the risk of the wheel stud spining when you take your wheel off.. This wouldn't be fun with a flat on the side of the road... Some guys tack weld the wheel studs on the inside of the hub. I liked the new knurled studs. I did put loctite on the knurl when I installed them in the hub..

Chris
Old 04-09-2015, 06:37 AM   #4
Walt Dupont--Me.

Hey Chris, did you have the drums turned or checked after installing the drums on your hubs? Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
cannondalerob

Great stuff Chris, thanks.
cannondalerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
CSArno

We haven't had done that yet Walt. So much other stuff going on with it. Not sure there is even anyone left in Dover that can turn a drum..
Going to get the body in the morning at Greg's if not glare ice on the roads.... Sick of this stinkin weather. Have to do some patch work on the body. Good thing most of it will be hidden picked up some easy grind mig wire today so that should make it a little "easier"