Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
Conrad Rossi

Question Early '46 Generator Rebuild

Hello,

I am taking on rebuilding the generator of my '46 V8 Ford. According to Henry's "Repair Manual - Generating and Starting Systems 1933-1947" my generator has the pulley screwed to the armature. The armature tested to be OK, so hacking into it to save the pulley and the bracket is not an option this time.

I timidly attempted putting it on a vise per the manual, but the pulley is still there. Additionally, it does not seem to have the "retaining ring" as the manual indicates, so maybe I am not seeing something... (picture attached)

Any hints or direction how to unscrew that evil pulley from the armature is greatly appreciated.

For those interested in pictures, I promise that I will be posting them through the entire rebuild process.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140104_210947.jpg (45.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 01-05-2014, 01:10 AM   #2
Old Henry

Default Re: Early '46 Generator Rebuild

Might want to try some 50-50 Acetone/Transmission fluid soaked into the threads to loosen it up. The pulley does unscrew. That's how I got mine off.

There is a lock ring that goes on the end but I don't know how necessary it is. I don't have one and don't think the pulley could accidently spin off even without it.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
hotcoupe

i think the lock ring is there to keep the pulley from unscrewing in the event of engine "backfire".
tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoupe View Post
i think the lock ring is there to keep the pulley from unscrewing in the event of engine "backfire".
tom
That's brilliant! Henry's engineers thought of everything. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
Kurt in NJ

I had a piece of old belt cut to fill the pulley groove then I put a strap wrench over it, the armature is clamped in a good vice with copper jaw liners ---this worked every time for me.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Conrad Rossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Might want to try some 50-50 Acetone/Transmission fluid soaked into the threads to loosen it up. The pulley does unscrew. That's how I got mine off.

There is a lock ring that goes on the end but I don't know how necessary it is. I don't have one and don't think the pulley could accidently spin off even without it.
Professor Henry,

Thank you for your guidance, the pulley is taking a "bath". Regarding the missing clip, judging for your plus 10,000 miles you put on Old Henry, we should be fine without it.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
Conrad Rossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I had a piece of old belt cut to fill the pulley groove then I put a strap wrench over it, the armature is clamped in a good vice with copper jaw liners ---this worked every time for me.
Kurt,

Thanks, I will emulate your method. I think that I have the old belt, and if not, have a strap oil filter remover that can be used. The only piece missing are the brass jaws for the vise. I have four of them and none have brass. Maybe Home Depot or Ace Hardware have some generic jaws, or I can buy a strip of brass and cut it to match the jaws size.

--c
Old 01-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
Conrad Rossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoupe View Post
tom
Backfire? That will mean good news because the engine is spinning on its own power At least it would be a start
Old 01-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
Karl Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingebird View Post
Kurt,

Thanks, I will emulate your method. I think that I have the old belt, and if not, have a strap oil filter remover that can be used. The only piece missing are the brass jaws for the vise. I have four of them and none have brass. Maybe Home Depot or Ace Hardware have some generic jaws, or I can buy a strip of brass and cut it to match the jaws size.

--c
I use aluminum as a shoe on the vise, it's what I have, and it's softer than steel- cast iron... I bent it to stay with the jaws of the vise using a hammer.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
Conrad Rossi

Kurt,

Thanks. I was not going to make a trip to Home Depot...so I got a piece of copper pipping and cut it to the same length of the end of the armature, and I slid the copper piece. Then, I got the armature perpendicular to the vise jaws and tighten using some "leverage". The force made an oval out of the copper circumference and kept the armature from spinning.

Finally, I used an oil strap wrench to remove the pulley (counterclockwise), and got it out.

Now I am fighting the bearing... more to come along with pix.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
Terry,OH

Armature removed from the generator and clamp the body of the armature in the vise. Heat from a propane torch to the collar around the threads.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote